iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quick Fix

Started by Magicman, March 16, 2015, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Well a temporary fix anyway.

I suddenly lost my power feed.  Hit the auto clutch to disengage, and that would not work either, so I killed the engine and started looking for a kicked breaker.  Yup, the "acc" breaker was tripped.  I reset the breaker and the power feed was OK, but as soon as I engaged the auto clutch....tripped again.  I quickly determined that the auto clutch wire was grounded.  Since the wire goes through the wiring harness, etc. the quickest way to get going again was to run a temporary wire.

I laced the temporary wire along the flexible conduit.

Backed off on the conduit connector and entered the control box.

And then it was a simple matter to connect the temporary wire on each end.  Five minutes and I was sawing again.   :)

I'll trouble shoot the grounded wire when the customer's hired help is not watching.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Better sign up for the "Loop" this year.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Good job, Did you have all the stuff with you to fix it?
Or did the customer have the stuff.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red

He is part Magic and part Mc Gyver
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Lumber Grader

"It's Magic"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magicman

I had everything to do the temporary with me which prompted me to do the quick workaround.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Hhmmm, must be a common problem. I got bit with almost the same problem on LeroyC's mill last week. An added complication, the Dang breaker would not reset. Loosend the nut that holds the breaker in place and rapped the side smartly with a screwdriver handle. Re-tightened the nut and back to sawing..  GI maintenance  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on March 16, 2015, 09:26:44 PM
I had everything to do the temporary with me which prompted me to do the quick workaround.  :)

When I was on the road I had all that stuff too, And a big box of tools.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

Good quick fix. If a fellas mill is controlled by electrons its prudent to always carry a multimeter, wire, crimpons, and tape. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

Expecting no less from a master lineman.   Thinking I better put some wire in the truck.  Curious to hear how it was grounding out.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

red

Just use taillight wires
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

21incher

Looks like you saved the day. Last time I fixed some wiring like that it became a temporary forever fix. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

:D  I was thinking the same thing.  My "corrugated" conduit has cracked and needs replacing, so I will figure out what happened at that time.

Which brings up the conduit subject.  What type flexible conduit is being used now.  How about a picture someone.  Yup, I could order it from WM but shipping?  If I could get it local, then it would save shipping.

4x4American

Magicman, how did you determine it was a ground?

Try a google search on wire loom.  It is good stuff, easy to work with, flexible, and readily available anywhere.  Get wire loom clips to easily mount it.

Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Quote from: 4x4American on March 17, 2015, 10:46:28 PM
Magicman, how did you determine it was a ground? 
The "other" side of battery is ground.  A multimeter is an essential tool.  :)

4x4American

So the multimeter told you that there was an open loop I would guess?  or wouldn't there be an open loop if it was a short or a ground because the breaker was tripped?

Come to think of it, it looks like the conduit they are using is wire loom!
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Look at McMaster Carr  (mcmaster.com) and search "standard cable sleeving" for a wide variety of designs for passing wire through that are flexible. And I've found their shipping to be quite reasonable.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cable-sleeving/=wcukha
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NWP

That looks like a permanent fix to me. At least if were mine.  ;D
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Ga Mtn Man

Magicman-

Check with Marty Parsons.  I recall that he said they had a bunch of this stuff.  Maybe his shipping charges would be less.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I would just like to see a picture of what WM is using now.  I am sure that it is available locally.

Sixacresand

It is pretty evident that MM knows every switch, where every wire goes and what it does.  Good Job, MajicMan.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ga Mtn Man

The one on my 2012 mill looks exactly like yours.  So go take a picture of yours and post it here. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ga Mtn Man

OK Lynn, here ya go...my conscience was getting to me:

MartyParsons

Hello,
I will be flying to New Orleans tomorrow. I can throw it out the window on the way through. Air mail?
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!