iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If I drive a nail into a tree at 5' off the ground.

Started by hackberry jake, February 06, 2013, 02:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

If you ask the question "if someone drives a nail in a tree 5' off the ground, and the tree grows 1' per year, then where will the nail be in 12 years?" most people will either say 5' high or 17' high. They are both wrong. It will be about 2' high and hiding in a log on my sawmill waiting for me to find it.  :D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

rooster 58

GAB

When sawing a nail or a 1/2" lag bolt it does have a unique tune to it.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hackberry jake

Yeah, I don't even notice hitting them sometimes. Just see them in the lumber. My mill has a "modified" exhaust though and I'm always wearing ear plugs.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Delawhere Jack

I used to save every nail I hit in a little jar........... that stopped being fun long ago.  :-\

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on February 06, 2013, 06:19:58 PM
I used to save every nail I hit in a little jar........... that stopped being fun long ago.  :-\

When the nail comes off my finger, I'll put it in a jar.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 06, 2013, 07:13:15 PM

We do NOT want to know what else is in that jar... :o

JohnM

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on February 06, 2013, 07:24:51 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 06, 2013, 07:13:15 PM

We do NOT want to know what else is in that jar... :o

MM's toenails... steve_smiley

;D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Solomon

Quote from: GAB on February 06, 2013, 03:46:26 PM
When sawing a nail or a 1/2" lag bolt it does have a unique tune to it.
Gerald
Yes it  does play a merry ole tune, but I don't hear anyone yelling for an oncore!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

bugdust

Nails? You otta hear the sound of a blade sawing (attempting to saw), through a porcelain television wire hanger. The hanger had been nailed to the oak tree long enough to completely heal over with no scar showing.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

hackberry jake

I've seen big circle mills hit the insulators. Never hit one on my little band mill... Yet. You otta see a big circle mill hit a piece of chain full speed. Now that was interesting. I've only hit one thing that my mill didn't cut through and I didn't care to dig it out and see what it was either. It was definately steel because I saw the filings stuck to the teeth. Oh yeah, it's not very good at sawing through back stops either.

SwampDonkey

I have a hard maple with a nice 8" clothesline pulley inside. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nomad

When I'm milling that "zzziiinnnggg" is usually followed by "%*&&$^(#". :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

dboyt

Walnut tree that was hollow and had been filled with cement.  Amazingly, the log was sound wood at both ends.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

SwampDonkey

Jemclimber

Cement, horse shoes, sledge hammer, hardware........Some of the things that have ruined my cutting equipment.  I think there is a thread about unusual things eaten by trees.   
lt15

ely

i hung some cedar door facings in the closet the other day that had several .22 bullets in them, very shiny after going thru the planer.

Herb Brooks

Sorry about the nails, I didn't put them there. But what is the answer to the original riddle?  I have an idea 17 feet sounds high.  I believe I learned in school that a tree trunk grows more round than tall. School was more than a quarter of a century ago, so kinda murky.

beenthere

Right Herb.
The nail stays at the same height....as the tree growth adds height at the branch and leader tips.
The girth increases out, but not up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Herb Brooks

chuckhole

I don't have a mill YET but I would probably run into some car parts from my country place. The previous owner was a used car salesman. We found car parts on the property for a couple of years. We used to joke about one spot saying there was a car there, some assembly required. :D

Concrete in a tree? I could understand the 8" pulley from a clothes line but concrete? And a sledge hammer?
Wanting to build a band saw mill for my 42 acres of heavily wooded country place.
40x60 Man Cave, Kubota RTV 900, Kubota L2800 4WD tractor, John Deere 310G 4WD Backhoe, trailers and implements.

Ianab

QuoteConcrete in a tree?

Years ago people used to fill knot holes with concrete in the belief that it would prevent rot and help the tree heal over. I't doesn't help, so no qualified arborist will do it these days, but the lumps of concrete might still be lurking in yard trees from back then.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ianab on February 07, 2013, 01:45:38 PM
QuoteConcrete in a tree?

Years ago people used to fill knot holes with concrete in the belief that it would prevent rot and help the tree heal over. I't doesn't help, so no qualified arborist will do it these days, but the lumps of concrete might still be lurking in yard trees from back then.

Ian

Ian is right. There are some trees in my town where they filled in holes with concrete. The tree has almost grown around the concrete and you can look about 4 inches down into the opening and see the concrete that was put there years and years ago.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

chuckhole

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 07, 2013, 01:49:44 PM
Quote from: Ianab on February 07, 2013, 01:45:38 PM
QuoteConcrete in a tree?

Ian

Ian is right. There are some trees in my town where they filled in holes with concrete. The tree has almost grown around the concrete and you can look about 4 inches down into the opening and see the concrete that was put there years and years ago.

It is a good day. I have learned something new. Not bad for an old dog.
Wanting to build a band saw mill for my 42 acres of heavily wooded country place.
40x60 Man Cave, Kubota RTV 900, Kubota L2800 4WD tractor, John Deere 310G 4WD Backhoe, trailers and implements.

Thank You Sponsors!