iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LINN MILL POWER FEED

Started by Tom Posch, September 20, 2019, 08:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Posch

I have a Linn sawmill and want to put power feed and power elevation on it.  I can go with 12 volt DC system or 120 volt AC system.  I kind of think the AC will work better and more consistently.  I'm concerned that the charging system on the engine will be able to keep up.  I have power available where the mill is set up, so that's not a problem.  The big concern I have is the wire being constantly in the way.  

Does anybody have their mill set up this way? How does it work out?  

Wayniac

I have my mill set up this way with 110 volt ac . I have a tree about 20 ft from the mill on the slab side I tie the wire to the tree and over to the top of the mill the tree is in the center of the carriage so the wire never gets low enough to get into the slabs
wayniac

Crusarius

I have a wheelchair motor powering my acme threaded rods. I went with the 12v dc option. I have a deep cycle battery for starting the mill and up and down. I do not have any problems with battery running out.

I definitely would not be without the power up and down after the first couple times I went full travel by hand.

Tom Posch

I think I'm going to go 12V.  I don't run the mill for hours on end.  I think I'll put a larger battery on her and not shut the engine down when makin adjustments.  

Thanks for the feedback.  You guys are great. - Tom

Gere Flewelling

I have a cooks mp32 mill with the power feed and the power up and down. I believe the Kohler engine only has the standard charging system. Probably 15-20 amps. It has worked fine for two years now. I have never had to charge the original automotive sized deep cycle battery and I stop and start my engine several time per log.  One suggestion I would make is this: install a master switch somewhere easy to reach.  I often worry about an up and down switch sticking as they age and having the saw crash into the stops before I get the switch freed up.  Has never happened to me, but I can see the potential. Power up and down feature is priceless. Good luck!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Thank You Sponsors!