iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

plumbing bar saw slasher to 160A barko

Started by TheDirt, October 24, 2018, 09:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDirt

Hi all,
Ive been running a CTR 42ip slasher off my 99 barko 160a for about 3 years. when i bought the loader it hadn't ever run a saw but had come with the factory "slasher package" which was basically a valve in the cab and two additional ports on the rotary manifold (or collector, as some call it) because the CTR 42ip has three lines (two 1" lines and one smaller "pilot line" i think 5/8") i tied the pilot line back into the return 1" line with a one way ball valve so I could run the slasher with just the two ports on the rotary manifold on the loader. this has worked fine except that the chain will spin backwards (slowly) when the bar is raised up after cutting. it dawned on me the other day that there must be another way to set this up since it is technically plumbed to run a bar saw slasher, and virtually every bar saw of that era had a third line. Anyone have any experience with this setup or something similar? Im curious to see how other guys have their barsaw's plumbed... thanks!

mike_belben

Is that pilot line a case drain by any chance? I have no idea how saw hookups work but if a hyd motor itself has 3 ports the smaller one is always case drain.  

Does the saw have a solenoid valve block on it and wires to start/stop the blade and up/down the head? Or is it 100% hydraulic off the knuckleboom?
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

I've been underneath my 160 to change a couple hoses but dont remember how everything is plumbed. Mine has 3 lines, 2x 1" and a 1/2" drain, I can take some pictures of the hose set up in a couple days when I go back to that job. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

TheDirt

Thanks guys!

Mike_Bel ben,  the third line may well be a case drain, I've heard it called a few things, most recently a pilot, but i suppose the drain would make sense. somewhere i have schematic i got from ctr when i was trying to figure out how to set it up, ill see if i can find it.
its all hydraulic, no solenoid.

BargeMonkey, that would be incredibly helpful, i've never actually seen another one of these plumbed to a bar saw so a visual would be a big big help...I know how fun crawling around under the rotary manifold is too, i was down there a lot fixing leaks in the first year i had this

mike_belben

I think ya really need the schematic to be sure because 3 hoses isnt enough to operate a motor and cylinder in the conventional manner.  It may well be a pilot line that engages a flow diverter or something to turn on the saw and stroke the bar.  Id contact them to be sure your machine and their machine will play nice.. Dont want to blow anything apart in the saw or your rotary manifold.  
Praise The Lord

Riwaka

42 standard hydraulic schematic

hudson bar saw in Forestry and Logging

TC 234 knuckleboom, delimber trailer with bar saw bunk.
CSI ground saw - YouTube

TheDirt

Thanks Riwaka,
thats the correct schematic for sure, still doesn't tell me where to put that third line, ill have to read the whole post to see how they solved it

backwoodsdave

How do you raise the bar up on your slasher ? The three lines are pressure, return, and the small line is the bar up line.

TheDirt

right, the smaller line is to raise the bar, i have a ball valve in the return line on the saw side of where i have tied the raise bar line into the return line. with the valve in the cab in the forward position it sends pressure down the return line but once hitting the ball valve sends oil to the raise bar line. it works but chain spins backwards when i raise the bar and it limits how much i can turn up the chain speed.

backwoodsdave

Easiest way would probably be to tie your two front out riggers together on one section and use the free section to work the bar up, most of the time you'll need a one way check in the return to provide enough back pressure to make the bar go down like it should, there shouldn't be any restrictions in the press side to the saw, I've seen quick connects in the pressure line  limit enough gpm to cause a sluggish chain speed and bar down speed/pressure.

kiko

The chain should cut from under the bar.

TheDirt

Been on some other projects and just getting to the barko, BargeMonkey, any chance you could post that picture of the rotary manifold (aka swivel, collector) under the turn table just to show how the plumbing is setup? a picture would be very helpful.
thanks!

BargeMonkey

I havent forgotten and will try and get some when I go back to the job, theres about 1ft of water around the machine right now, need scuba gear to get up in there. 😂 

Thank You Sponsors!