iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 025 Bar Tightening nuts

Started by JRServices, November 16, 2011, 04:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRServices

Ok for some reason no matter how tight I tighten the bar nuts lately everytime I look down I am missing one and than the bar becomes loose. I have had to go to Home Depot and buy some nuts to put in their place so I can continue to use my saws. I know the saws virbate but the nuts should still stay tight. Do you have any clue or any advice on why they keep loosening and I have to buy nuts to continue using my chainsaw. Its getting a little annoying and I am wondering if there is a fix I am able to do to the saw so I dont have to look down every 2 mins to make sure the nuts are still attached to the saw.

Thank you
JR Services

beenthere

JR
Something doesn't add up here. Wrong size nuts would be my first guess. Over tightening the original would be my second. Buying nuts at Home Depot for a Stihl saw would be my third.

Just no way a nut can loosen in 2 minutes if it is the correct nut for the thread.

I'd suggest a trip to the nearest Stihl dealer or chainsaw shop for an analysis of the problem.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

Could be the stud pulling out of the plastic or maybe crud on the bar and saw, I've never had a well tighten nut come loose yet.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Might sound nutty but you probabley have the wrong nuts .If you went to Lowes all you would most likely find is standard M8 nut which isn't very wide across the flats .

Either go to a Stihl dealer and get the oversized nuts which are 19 MM over the flats or get 10 of them from Baileys for about 8 bucks .They gain more purchase on the cover and thus tighten up much better than a standard nut .

JRServices

Thank you for the advice. It doesnt add up for me either. I used these saws last year and didnt have the problem and than all of a sudden this year I have a problem with the nuts staying tight. I didnt change the nuts, and have been using these saws for at least 5 years and this is the first time I have had this problem with them.

Satamax

Quote from: ladylake on November 16, 2011, 07:17:44 PM

Could be the stud pulling out of the plastic or maybe crud on the bar and saw, I've never had a well tighten nut come loose yet.  Steve

Yep, i've seen this before. with the same effect.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Al_Smith

Now let me get this straight .Does this mean that saw everyone wants to rave about has a plastic body that holds the bar studs ? I've never seen one up close which is why I ask .

Gee wizz if that be the case I certainly can't see the thing being much to write home about .What I did see the other day in a pile of dead saws at a Stihl dealer was quite a few of those things but I didn't inspect them as my mission for "dumpster  diving " at the time was on a quest for a 3 cuber I could turn into something with a little piazz .Clam shell Stihl there isn't much you can do with them to pep them up .

w8ye

The plastic cover has a steel bushing in the area where the nuts fit
Stihl FS-55R, HS-80-R-24
Echo PB 2400, SRM 2100 SRM 2400

ladylake

I think that series Stihl saw has trouble with the studs pulling out of the saw body.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

isawlogs

I am glad that mine has not had this issue yet  :)   I am of the same advise as for you to get Stihl nuts to put on your saw, this may solve the problem you're experiencing :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

JRServices

Thank You Sponsors!