iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6bt Cummins

Started by smwwoody, January 31, 2013, 07:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Hi All

Had a motor go down in one of my skidders today.  It is a 6bt cummins.  I am trying to figure out what to do.  Rebuild or replace with a reman or new motor.  I also have the option of replace with used but i dont think that is a good way to go.  lets here some thoughts on this

Thanks

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

bushmechanic

Get a reman from Cummins would be your best bet.Check out the prices and you see for yourself.

Bandmill Bandit

i am not real familiar with that particular engine but i do know that most cummins rebuild very well. If you do your own wrenching I would do the rebuild my self.

Used isn't a bad way to go depending on how good a wrecker you deal with and how "used" the engine is. I would think there would be quite a few of those around. I have done it both ways and had good luck both ways.

Reman is a good option as you would get warranty but that may require a shop that sells the reman to do the install. good luck in your re power project.

if the budget allows for a reman that would be a the best option for sure.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

hardtailjohn

Depends on what happened to it. The 6BT isn't a sleeved engine, so if you had a piston or something like that fail that would screw up a bore, then I'd swap it out. They're a really simple engine and very reliable, as well as inexpensive to overhaul. Alot would also depend on your time frame as well as experience with overhauls and facility availability. There are alot of them out there and parts aren't tough to get, but neither are overhauled ones. Warranty of the finished product can also play in there....... lots to think about.
Good luck!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

hu5qvarna395xp

Quote from: hardtailjohn on February 01, 2013, 10:24:01 AM
Depends on what happened to it. The 6BT isn't a sleeved engine, so if you had a piston or something like that fail that would screw up a bore, then I'd swap it out. They're a really simple engine and very reliable, as well as inexpensive to overhaul. Alot would also depend on your time frame as well as experience with overhauls and facility availability. There are alot of them out there and parts aren't tough to get, but neither are overhauled ones. Warranty of the finished product can also play in there....... lots to think about.

Good luck! 

I beg to differ buddy the a lot of the industrail motor are sleeved just depends which engine you have.. we had one go bad in our 2000tj460 tore it down an the number one sleeve was cracked... If the injector pump an turbo is good then for bout 600$ u can get a rebuild kit an fix it.. just depends on what's wrong an if its a sleeved motor!! Good luck if you need anymore help or whatever let me knw.. Alan
Jd an franklin skidders,husqvarna saws,prentice loaders an mack trucks that's how we roll!!!

mburrow

the B series cummins engines have a Parent Bore Cylinder Block, witch means not sleeved.
there is a repair sleeve made for them to be used when the cylinder is not able to be over-bored any more

http://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/4087025.pdf

Bobus2003

The 6bt can be had pretty easy.. Find a old Dodge truck and use that for your donor..Prolly get an old truck with a good engine cheapest over say from a Cummins dealer

Andrew Lawrence

Let us know how you made out , I've got a 6bt in my clark and always looking for as much info as i can get.
Lawrence Lot Clearing Logging                            To God be the glory

Thank You Sponsors!