iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most efficient way to make stickers

Started by Cypress Man, November 30, 2018, 09:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypress Man

Hi everyone.  I'm looking for advice on an efficient way to RIP stickers from my edger tailings. What are some of the ways you do it. Types of gang saws etc..
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

PAmizerman

I use my edgings to make stickers. It takes some time but I figure why burn it if I can use it.
I use a radial arm saw with a fence to cut the edgings all to 4' then run them through the table saw. It works best to have a helper return the pieces that will yield another sticker back to you. And stack the stickers. All in all it's not too bad a job.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

carykong

Your LT70 is more efficient at making sticks than your edger.  Saw your logs in a way that minimizes edging material.    When you want sticks,saw specifically for that mission with your mill.

Magicman

When I need to make a huge pile of stickers I use a sacrificial log.  Square it and saw through, turn 90° and saw through.  Very fast and no lost time piddling with edgings.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

I turn a few side boards into stickers as I go if I can.  The chainsaw or skill saw cuts to length depending on the situation.  Sometimes an entire log becomes a cant and the cant becomes stickers.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WLC

I do as Magicman does.  Sacrifice a log.  Slab it to a cant, cut through,  turn 90°, saw to the bed.  I use a chop saw to cut to length.  Can make a pile in short order.  I generally cut mine at 4/4.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Southside

I do recover stickers with my edger when it's there using the right side fence, figure it reduces waste, but for volume I just sacrifice a low value log or cut a 4' piece of sweep out of a log and do as MM says. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

pineywoods

Add 1 small step to Magicman's method. saw a cant, saw through, flip the stack vertical, Then cut in 4 ft lengths with chainsaw,BUT stop the cut 2 inches from the bottom of the board stack. Each pass of the saw head yields a whole stack of cut to length stickers. Be prepared to work an off-bearer into the ground. So cheap and easy, I don't even charge customer for stickers..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Sixacresand

If cutting acuminated 1 by's:  strap a bundle together at one end, measure and mark lengths, cut with chain saw starting at end opposite of strap.  

Spend twice as much time picking them up, rehandling and stacking neatly.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Cypress Man

Thanks for all the responses and advice.  My problem is that I only saw high cost cypress logs.  It would not be cost effective for me to saw the logs into stickers. On other hand, we create large piles of tailings from our edger that  makes perfect stickers but is very time consuming using the fence and eg 200 edger. Thinking of finding a 12in multi rip gang saw, that would be inexpensive to buy, that could have 4 or 5 blades to rip tailings into 1.25in wide stickers.  Anyone using this method? If so what gang saw would you recommend. 
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

barbender

Can't you get access to some lower cost wood, like pine, to saw stickers out of?
Too many irons in the fire

tawilson

Quote from: pineywoods on December 01, 2018, 09:21:49 AM
Add 1 small step to Magicman's method. saw a cant, saw through, flip the stack vertical, Then cut in 4 ft lengths with chainsaw,BUT stop the cut 2 inches from the bottom of the board stack. Each pass of the saw head yields a whole stack of cut to length stickers. Be prepared to work an off-bearer into the ground. So cheap and easy, I don't even charge customer for stickers..
Okay I am going to have to try this, tomorrow.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

DPatton

I too like the sacrificial log method when available. Stickers from edgings is slower and much more of a pain. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Since I edge on the sawmill, most of the time I can produce enough stickers by dropping down in one inch increments as I edge.

I do realize that I have not added anything that would be beneficial to Cypress Man.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I was about to suggest adding one step to the MM sacrificial log process of tying the boards together at one end so they will stay bundled when you cut them into stickers then to length then I realized what was going to happen the first time the blade passed through the first stack. ??? :D

I guess it might help to stack them on upright on end in something like a 12" diameter piece of pipe or tall box as you take them off the mill, tie the ends above and below the cut and then cut them in pipe/box then go sticker them. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I just saws them and as you can see, the customer is in charge of stacking them.  ::)

YellowHammer

We used to cut our KD edging waste into stickers with a power feed and dado head to profile and cut them.  

I learned the trick from a company who also makes H profile stickers out of waste by the thousand.  They have a top and bottom 20" molder setup with a special geometry cutting blade set, it looks like a bunch of half "H" profiles, that take a board of any width and the top cutter cuts the top half of the "H"and just a hair of an inch short of meeting midway on the outside of the legs of the "H".  The bottom cutter profiles the bottom half of the "H" and the cutter just almost meets the cut along the outside leg of the "H".  So any width board can be run and out comes a board with many "H" profiled cuts and each sticker either falls off or is snapped off by hand where the two cutters basically meet on the legs of the "H".
Very effective and fast and doesn't care how wide a board is, the molder profiles both faces, whatever the width and makes "snap off stickers".  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Cypress Man

Thinking of trying a woodmaster gang saw but think the feed speed will be too slow. Anyone have know of a better saw?

tule peak timber

I used to pay a guy to stand and run endless pieces through my resaw. Then I started buying plaster lath strips from a big box store. I'm now at a point I recycle stickers and don't need anymore.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

carykong

Cypress Man,

Your wood is high dollar as you pointed out.   If you are considering a gang rip saw,you must have plenty of edging material over 3" in width? If that is the case, you are reducing a good cypress board to its lowest value by ripping it into sticks.

Do you have a market for narrow width cypress boards under 5"?

Brad_bb

I've edged boards on my mill up til now and took stickers from the edgings as I'm edging.  The problem with that is you're often getting sapwood or intermittent sapwood and grain changing directions as you cut up to a defect.  Consequently as they dry, some of them will bow or warp in ways you don't want. 

So I've come to realize that for stickers in my drying stacks, I'd rather have a better quality sticker from the good wood.  After all I'll be reusing the stickers again and again hopefully, and culling any low quality ones.  So now I need stickers because I'm out.  I've got some Ash cants I'll just saw the whole things for stickers.  Ash is my most plentiful log.  I've got more than I have time to mill, so I use them for stickers in addition to milling beams and boards.  It's difficult cutting a good log you could get lumber from into "just stickers", but sometimes it must be done.

I would suggest finding some logs that are least precious to you to make a big batch of stickers from, otherwise buy stickers from someone else.  Then you don't have to slaughter some logs yourself that you're attached to.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

JustinW_NZ

I second what Brad_BB said... bad stickers can make bad wood...
I just cut a clear log or three up like others makes GOOD stickers and use them over and over again...

I think people seem to undervalue them somewhat, OR spend a lot of time producing them from rubbish, I hate paying my worker to waste time with them...

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

bandmiller2

I make a batch of stickers and be done with it. Stickers are a perfect use for doggie logs that have too much sweep. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!