iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Winches  

Started by johnjbc, November 08, 2003, 04:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnjbc

I would also be interested in any problems or other uses anyone has come up with for hydraulic winches Here are my ideas.

I bought a Mile-Marker 12,000 winch and a removable carrier that fits in a hitch receiver. The plan is to mount it in a receiver on the front of my truck .

When I want to use it to pull logs up onto my trailer like DanG or FH have done. I will move the Carrier to the receiver on the rear of the truck and put the ball carrier into it and connect the trailer to that.

I also planned to be able to mount it on a logging winch/loader that  I plan to make out of Kelly three point backhoe that was damaged in a fire and power it with the tractor hydraulics.

When I mounted the hydraulic valve on the truck I refilled the power steering pump with Kubota HST Fluid. The winch worked fine but the truck power steering made noise and I could hardly turn the wheel. After several calls to Mile-Marker, a new hydraulic valve, and some bypass testing I drained the pump, hoses, and winch motor.  After refilling with
the correct fluid everything works fine.

My concern now is with fluid contamination when I move the winch back and forth between the tractor and the truck. Anyone have any ideas how to prevent that?

I
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

J_T

They make a 12v pump that has its own tank. Those two oils might be the same or just use the 12v set up .I have a hydrolic tail gate on a one ton truck that uses one.
Jim Holloway

DanG

That's a nifty looking setup, John. My winch looks a little different than your's. The valves and solenoids are mounted to the winch, and the hoses go directly to the pump/steering box, in "series circuit" fashion. How do you accomplish the disconnect without losing your PS, or getting air in the lines?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

johnjbc

DanG
I ordered the Series 70 model. I think it uses the same valve body but it is mounted under the hood. Fluid from the power steering pump goes to the  valve and in de-energized state right through and out another hose to the steering gear. When you push the in or out switch fluid is routed  to the other two ports on the valve, one direction for in the other for out. By putting tees on the two ports we can run two hoses to the front and two to the rear where they terminate with hydraulic quick disconnects. Air shouldn't be a problem but you loose a little fluid every time you move the winch. Was thinking about using apiece of radiator hose to extend the filler neck on the pump increasing its fluid storage space

Kevin

A guy could have two winches.  ;D

D._Frederick

johnjbc,

Any problem with your power steering oil overheating and forming a vapor  lock or do you have a cooler?

DanG

Kevin, a guy is a telephone man. He can't afford two of'em. :-/

D. I haven't had any problem with overheating of the fluid. The truck's cooling system is more of a problem. I'm thinking of adding an electric cooling fan to the radiator. I've found that it does better if I open the hood when winching for a while, though. My cooling system is in good shape, but it still gets hotter than I like to see it by the time I get the trailer loaded.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

johnjbc

Had a little problem today pulling the mill into place.

Gave us a chance to try out the winch. Put the truck in netural and it pulled both the truck and mill right out.

D._Frederick no problems with the oil heating up so far although I haven't really worked it hard on a long pull yet. If I have a problem I'll get a cooler.

Thank You Sponsors!