TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Terra Gator  (Read 666 times)

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
    • Share Post
Terra Gator
« on: February 07, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »
Any of you familiar with floaters? Terra-Gator in particular? I need to learn more about the various transmissions they had and which were good and bad. Internet has lots of discussion but not much for details. Many dealers call the transmissions Terrashift but near as I can tell they had several different powershift transmissions in addition to the torqueplus. Funk was one of those but I don't know if that was the bad one or not. I've done the google search so now I'll try here.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
Cooks Cat Claw & Dual tooth setter
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Terra Gator
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »
Grizzly, only ones I'm familiar with (if you want to call it that) were older models, the three wheeled versions, and had 13 speed Road Rangers in them if that helps at all.  I know they've made four wheeled ones a lot since then and don't have a clue, sorry  ::).

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 09:41:31 AM »
No problem sandhills. There's so much extra knowledge in this forum I figured it was worth a try. We're not committed to either the 4 or 3 wheel versions as we hear good things about both. Drivelines are the same in either as well.

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 11:55:28 AM »
I will say one thing, running the 3 wheeled rig is the same as running a 3 wheeled atv compared to a 4 wheeled one, if your terrain is uneven be on your toes and watch how/where you turn around, those big tires don't make them any less easy to tip over.  Common sense goes a long way  ;).

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
That's good to know. One fellow told us the long length of the 3 wheeler made them a much smoother ride. But we haven't found anyone else to support that thought. We are looking at Terra Gators because there's more of them available up here. Lot's of good CaseIH 4520's in Grand Island so we just might have to go there.

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 10:42:59 PM »
I will say one thing, running the 3 wheeled rig is the same as running a 3 wheeled atv compared to a 4 wheeled one, if your terrain is uneven be on your toes and watch how/where you turn around, those big tires don't make them any less easy to tip over.  Common sense goes a long way  ;).

Add a half full 1500 gallon liquid tank to the back of it on washed out Missouri River bluff ground terrain and you better well hang on as it is a long ride from upright to laying over on the side of the cab. :o Donít ask me how I know this. ::)

So far as tricycle floaters go I never ran Terra Gator brand, but I operated several Big A brand and a couple of Mertz tricycle floaters. Memory serves me those machines had Allison automatic transmissions in them. I operated those machines for a few years and even worked on them a little bit but I donít remember to much about them as it was nearly 30 years ago.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 10:01:07 AM »
Local lime spreader had a tricycle with a funk powershift in it that a buddy of mine rebuilt 2 or 3 times. But they used to spread lime within a 200 mile radius and drove that gator all that distance pulling a tag trailer with a backhoe to load themselves. At the time parts were easy to get for the trans and pulling it and rebuilding it wasn't too difficult.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
later gator

Started by caveman on The Outdoor Board

30 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 05:08:32 PM
by caveman
xx
Gator Hydraulic

Started by Autocar on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2015, 04:05:21 PM
by Autocar