iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which new used vehicle????

Started by catalina, February 09, 2018, 01:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catalina

Alright folks, help me please! Totaled my 4-Runner this past Thursday night in the ice so in the market for another vehicle. Looking for 4wd or AWD to be a daily driver, low miles (under 35,000) and 20 plus MPG for under $20000. Looks like the 2015-2018 Nissan Rogue and Jeep Cherokee Latitude and Toyota Rav 4 fall into the ranges mentioned so we are looking for any experiences with those 3 vehicles-good and bad. Anyone?

loganworks2

All the Toyota's that I gave owned have been extremely reliable. Change the oil regularly tires and breaks as needed. People I know that owned the others had small issues on a regular basis.

Tin Horse

I currently own a 2002 Toyota V8. Low mileage in mint shape. Great fuel economy and best reliability. I've owned lots of trucks over the years. Some good and some bad but this one beats all of them.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

TKehl

If you get the Jeep, stick to the 4 cylinder. 

I'm frustrated with a 2014 Dodge Caravan that can have the same engine family (3.2 & 3.6L) that would be in the Jeep.  Had transmission issues, but with no transmission dipstick, we couldn't check fluids.  Had to take to the dealer who said it had a bad ENGINE oil leak that put it in limp mode (thus trans issues).  Engine oil leak is from a PLASTIC OIL FILTER HOUSING that breaks if over tightened or looked at funny.  Quoted me $750 to fix.  Even online, the parts are $200+ my labor!  They tuck it between the engine and the intake manifold!

x2 on Toyota.  Had several and maintenance was straightforward when needed and mine had LOTS of miles on them.  Last one was 242k miles.

Bought the Dodge as it was half the price of a similar used Toyota van, but we are on the "install parts" plan.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ianab

RAV4 would be my choice from that list.

It's based in the same "platform" as the Corolla, which is arguably the most reliable car in the world.

Nissan would be a close 2nd.

The Jeep? Yeah, Nah... pass on that one.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

coxy

i have a few friends with the rogue and a few with jeep and they are junk they have never ending tranny and electrical trouble i would go with a yota  if it was me  but again this is JMOP

bushmechanic

I have a 2016 Nissan Murano and love it. I will also give a plug for Toyota but stay clear of the Jeep! Opps did I say I had a Nissan...my bad my wife has a Nissan :o

clearcut

Wife has a 2012 Rav4 and loves it. Nicely sized commuter car.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Gearbox

The RAV4 may be good if you don't need to do a water pump 6 or 7 hours labor . you need to almost take the engine out to do it . Google it .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

bigred1951

My 2003 Corolla odometer stopped working at exactly 299,999 miles over a year ago. Still going strong.

Ianab

Quote from: Gearbox on February 09, 2018, 06:46:39 PM
The RAV4 may be good if you don't need to do a water pump 6 or 7 hours labor . you need to almost take the engine out to do it . Google it .

Yeah, but it's many miles before you have to do things like that on the average Toyota.

And all modern cars tend to have that sort of issue. My current Toyota is a "Corolla" with a factory 3.5l V6. It's 3-4 hours to change the Alternator because there is NO space left in the engine bay  :D But apart from that I've had zero other (non routine) problems with it, and it's 10 years old now.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

I have no experience with the other two, but I bought a new 2003 Rav4 which now has 125K miles and has given nothing but excellent service.  A Granddaughter just out of college and with her first job just bought a new Rav4. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sprucebunny

Toyotas want a new timing belt/water pump about every 90k miles. Small price to pay for the overall reliability.
My '99 RAV had 135k when I got it. Belt broke at 187k so I guess it was never done. I succeeded in replacing the belt/pump myself. Not that hard to do but an extra left hand would have helped.

Tin Horse

When I bought my 2002 Tundra V8 about 2 years ago it had about 175 k on it. Just to be safe I changed all fluids, went over everything. I then had the timing belt and water pump done. I asked my mechanic if I could see the old belt and parts for curiosity. He was even surprised that the old parts especially the belt all looked like new.     
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

coxy

my SIL  had a Subaru and had the timing belt /water pump done and i asked her mechanic to see the old parts and said he threw them away  :o i told him you better find them or your not getting paid  well he never put them in the car that's why he didn't have them a few months later he was out of biz  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) i always ask to see my old parts

cbay

Had a 2000 Tundra V8 for a couple years now.   Water pump went out last year at 135K miles.   Belt/pump job isn't cheap but so far it's had no other issues.  Tranny fluid replacement isn't cheap either.   It holds A LOT.
Hoping that is holds up like i hear they do.   Truck has all kinds of power for it's size.

JBlain

Just bought a 2015 Toyota RAV4 for the wife.  She really likes it.  Easy to drive and get the kids in and out of.  10,000 mile per synthetic oil change is new to me.
Josh

Andries

We're a Toyota family now.
I drive the Tundra, my wife drives a Highlander.
The Highlander doesnt fit in the 4x4 category, but it's been bomb proof for ten years.
Toyota = reliable and durable.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

TKehl

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 10, 2018, 06:43:42 AM
Toyotas want a new timing belt/water pump about every 90k miles. Small price to pay for the overall reliability.

Toyota is switching back to chains on most engines now.  My 2005 Camry had a timing chain.

Something I check on any vehicle we buy.  Have to add spare tire and transmission dipstick to that list now...
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Dakota

We've had a Honda CRV since 2010.  Great car. Zero issues.
Dave Rinker

gspren

We've had good luck with Subarus but they are not as rugged as the 4Runner you are replacing but neither are the others, mostly uni-bodys while the 4Runner is/was body on frame, depends on how rugged you want. In December of 16 we got our first Toyota, a 2014 FJ Cruiser, built like a 4Runner only shorter. We really like it but they don't go cheap and usually don't get over 18 MPG.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Larry

In 07 wife wanted a new car.  Her choice was a RAV4 or a CRV.  They had similar price tags and equipment.  She asked for my opinion and I thought the CRV had a bit more room in the back seat and overall slightly more comfortable.  That swayed her and she went for the CRV.  Actually a coin toss would have been just as good as my opinion.

130,000 miles now and a set of front brakes, eight new tires, and one battery.  Still in good condition and everything works as it should.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sprucebunny

I have to admit it ... when my RAV (2WD summer mileage-getter) died, I bought a '07 CRV to replace it and my '99 4runner (don't want salt on 4runner). It's just OK in the 6k miles I've had it but no serious problems. Whole different animal having AWD vs a lever and real 4WD.

But 'catalina' is looking at a newer vehicle, I think and I can't speak for any newish stuff.

catalina

Thanks all for the info-Yeah I have had great service out of the toyotas I have had but they all have had bullseyes on them with me in them, lol. I got 267,000 out of my 95 Tacoma-got rear-ended twice once at 65k, repaired and drove till the second rear-ending at 267,000-that one totaled it. My second toyota was a 2007 tacoma-deer sideswiped me at 45k-fixed, sitting still making a left had turn car pulled out into oncoming traffic and got shoved into my front end at 82k-fixed, and at 167k sitting dead still waiting on light to change less than 300 yards from same intersection where my front end was smashed I got rear-ended by a 15yr old kid running 40 mph-that one did the tacoma in. We were in the process of financing a new home build so I replaced that with a used 4-runner and 2yrs-3months to the day I bought it  (Last Thursday) we had a servere ice storm in which i tried to take the top off of a 20 plus inch high oak tree stump along the road in a downhill turn-that rattled my teeth - killed the 4runner at 162k. Note to others----be careful if you ever come to Morgantown WV AND no matter how good the tires are a 4wd or an AWD can loose control even at 25-30mph if the conditions are right. Drove each of the vehicles I was asking about this weekend including a couple others and really kinda liked the feel of the Rogue and the CR-V. Really would like to HAVE another Tacoma but the NEED is probably best filled by one of the ones mentioned, lol.

Thank You Sponsors!