iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burning Timber

Started by Illinois Timber, February 10, 2018, 01:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illinois Timber

I'm in SE Illinois.  DNR forester has really recommended that burn my timber, probably several years in a row, to kill off much of the undesirable undergrowth (American hornbeam, blue beech, maple, etc).  The idea is to encourage long term oak, hickory, and walnut regeneration. Has anyone else burned their timber? What was your experience. Fire in the leaf litter is not supposed to hurt mature timber.  I realize if brush is piled against a tree and it catches fire that it can kill a mature tree.

Ford_man

A few years ago I accidentally Caught my neighbors woods on fire it burned about 5 or6 acre before getting it out. It done a real good job of cleaning up the trash on the ground. I only found 1 dead stub that was burned. Sense  then the trees have seamed to grow faster.

Kwill

I'd love to do ours but we have so many cedars and the terrain would be tough controlling the fire.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

paul case

Once in a decade might not hurt but many of our woods near here burns every year or every other and it hurts it bad. The big mature Red Oaks and some other species are fire scarred and some of the smaller stuff burns off to a point and that is hard on tires.

I would leave it alone.
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Autocar

Our place backs up to the rail road and when the trains ran on coal it burned about every fall. Most of the big timber has butt damage that I blame on all the fires over the years.
Bill

Kbeitz

Around here we would get a fine if we tried that...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

Here the forestry dept will manage the burn. The farm I'm working on is scheduled for a burn in one stand this year for the same reasons. When done properly it is another tool to improve the timber stand.

WDH

Burning hardwood stands can be risky.  Fire can create small damage spots on the base of the hardwoods and those can be entry points for fungal root rot.  This is why I only burn pine stands, not hardwoods.  If your goal is wildlife enhancement, and that is more important than quality sawlog production, then OK.  Otherwise, I would not burn hardwood stands. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bluthum

I've done most of my 50 a. multiple times. Some of it is hardwood, some pine. I've made tractor trails so it makes fire breaks simple to make with a leaf blower and makes small burns 2-20 a. ] practical.

It is not a simple process to get right at all. Humidity, wind and fuel condition all play into it and 2 of those factors can change in a little while.There are general guide lines for this but even the experts admit it isn't a pure predictable science.

As for it being harmless to mature timber that's not entirely true. If the litter/duff is too dry you can kill every tree in the path or create nasty fire scars.

If you get it right the forest can sure benefit but the risks are obvious. Do all the research you can to include your state DNR guy if possible and if you decide to proceed do so with caution and on a small scale.

The National Forest guys here are relentlessly burning the Ozark and Sylamore National forests but personally I think they are far to aggressive with their methods and even the intent.

Magicman

I suppose that the National Forest guys are much more interested in removing potential fire hazards than any timber value. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kwill

Sure gets rid of a lot of ticks and bugs though
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!