iDRY Vacuum Kilns

'Nother New Laptop

Started by Magicman, May 19, 2018, 08:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I have been using two Laptops this morning.  Google on one to tell me what to do on the other.  Anyway it looks like I have all of the basics working anyway.  Got all of my Favorites/Bookmarks installed in both Firefox and Edge plus LibreOffice and the other stuff that I regularly or irregularly use.  ;D  It's time to give it the "smoke test" and see what happens....again...again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Failed this morning again....again.  smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ronwood

Looks like it time to have them give you a new one or give you your money back.
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Magicman

Which is exactly what I said in my email to them this morning; "replace or refund".  I will have to wait and see how they respond.  I am not opposed to sending it back for the third time but my question to them was "how will they know that it is fixed"?

I may have to Google to find out to excalate it above the parts changer outers.

ronwood

I am wondering with all they changed out is it possible that the issue is with the laptop case and associated connectors.

What is the model number of the laptop?  My son works for  a company that sells and repairs laptops (Dell, HP and IBM) he may have seen this in the past.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Magicman

Yes, I am thinking connector/wiring, etc. because the Stopcode is usually: "Faulty hardware, corrupted page" which "to me" means something "solid" rather than a software/programming issue.  Of course in this instance "to me" doesn't carry much weight.  :-\

This is a Latitude 3460 which is probably the cheapest unit that they make.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Oh wouldn't a pound or two of tannerite feel good sitting on either side of that thing...  ;)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

After the last email exchange that we had I am thinking that it will be replaced.

The only thing that I do not look forward to again....again is establishing all of my Favorites/Bookmarks again....again.  It takes several hours but thankfully I have another Laptop with everything on it.

Southside

Maybe you could offer portable lap top set up services as a business venture! ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

If the machine is running, go into your browser and the bookmarks section. There will be an option to "Export" all your bookmarks to a file. Usually .eml or .html. Save this file to your USB stick.

When you get the new machine, install Firefox again, and go back into the bookmarks section, and find the "Import" function. Locate your file and zap, the bookmarks will be back. 

They may all be in a folder called "imported bookmarks", but you can sort them out from there. 

QuoteMaybe you could offer portable lap top set up services as a business venture! 
One of my day jobs  ;D

Speaking of which, it not always easy. Brand new Acer laptop out of the box, and it decided it needed to do a Win10 update. Better to do this in the office before you go to site so that it doesn't hold you up there. 3 HOURS later it had updated itself. This is a brand new, medium spec (i5?) sort of machine, not some crusty old piece of junk. 

No wonder people get frustrated with Win10 and it's updates. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Thanks Ian, I have a "thumb" so I will do the export thing this morning.  The Laptop works fine between bluescreens, is very light, and runs cool with the fan seldom coming on.  I really like it.

Actually it went almost two weeks with no failure and then I got a notification saying that I needed to run Dell Support Assist.  It did all of the updates except one that Failed.  I tried it a couple more time with failures.  The next time that I used the Laptop I got a bluescreen Stopcode: Fault hardware, corrupted page.  Also now it doesn't remember my logins.

If/when I get whatever else I get I will be reluctant to do that Support Assist thing.  :-\

Magicman

Success I think.  Anyway I exported my Firefox bookmarks to my thumb.  I can import the Firefox bookmarks to Edge, which won't be used but they will be there.  Actually I really like a few features on Edge but don't use it because backspace will take me back a page instead of a character and I loose everything that I have typed. 

Magicman

My latest email this afternoon states that they are processing the request and will be shipping me another unit.  Wonder if it will be a Kohler or a Yanmar ???  ::)

WDH

Magicman

Yup, according to the email, they are sending me a "reconditioned" Laptop to replace this one.  Actually the specs. on the replacement show more "whatevers" than this one has.  I guess that it will come and I will stuff this one in a return mailer....again....again.  ::)

Magicman

The "new" Laptop showed up today.  Well not exactly "new" but "refurbished".  Anyway at least it is a completely different Laptop.  My old one cost $300 and this one sells for $1000 for whatever that means.  I have Edge up and running with my Favorites and am now installing Firefox.  Edge didn't like it but it is what it is and I can use whichever one I choose.  I just hope that this new Laptop works without crashing again....again.

Ron Scott

~Ron

WDH

Hopefully not again.....again.

Magicman

So far, so good.  I have Firefox, all of my Bookmarks done, and have customized my Touchpad.  This thing even has a lighted keyboard.  :o  

lxskllr

Sounds like it's a nice upgrade. I like refurbs. Someone else takes the depreciation, and I get a good computer. I just bought a refurbed dell tower, but it wasn't refurbed by dell. It's a great upgrade over my old one. Only issue is swapping my drives over didn't work. Had grub errors. I probably could have figured it out, but the new install was nice. Got rid of accumulated cruft.

Magicman

I feel like I am moving along quite well with this one.  LibreOffice is downloading now which will take a while and I only have three other minor things and I should be done.

Yes, I was very pleased when they decided to replace the Laptop with a refurbished unit even though it had been sent back to the service center twice and had one "home visit".  I finally dug my heels in and said "no more".  Either replace it or refund.  My hope now is that this one will do OK.

SwampDonkey

Well surely this one will hold together for a few years. No fun working with defective stuff over and over.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

So far I am on a roll with this one without a glitch/hitch.  It has slowed me down a couple of times with updates which is normal.   I have everything loaded that I normally use and I have uploaded pictures.

The Malwarebytes folks are updating my "Key" because I have exceeded my license with all of the service replacements that was done on the other Laptop but that should not be a problem.

I have all of my bookmarks done on both Edge and Firefox.  I actually like Edge better but the Backspace "glitch" is a killer when it sometimes takes you back an entire page instead of a character.  For that reason I can't/won't use it but it is there.

It being thinner the outlet of the cooling fan is on the bottom instead of the side which makes the unit hotter on my legs than the other one so I will have to get a pad to go between it and me.  I googled and looked at several and have decided which one I will probably get.

I packaged and shipped the other one back to Dell this afternoon.  I pity whoever gets it next.