iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New stihl

Started by Firewoodjoe, May 20, 2018, 08:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Anyone running a new professional size stihl. Thinking of new saw. Always run huskys. But there's a local dealer now. Thanks.

gspren

What size are you interested in? Pro level saws cover a wide range of sizes.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Firewoodjoe

JJinAK

I have a new 461 with about 4 tanks of fuel through it so far.  28" b/c.  I've only been cutting firewood with it so far.  Spruce and Hemlock mostly. 

I love this saw so far, and it's not even broken in yet.  I really like the balance it has w/ the 28" bar.  I haven't done an felling yet, but I'm sure it will be great for that as well.  My local dealer here did me right on the price.  My only "knock" on the saw is that it has the wrap handle.  It's not necessarily bad, just different to get used to.  Especially when tightening the nuts for the bar.  You need to use the narrower scrench. 

I would rate this saw high.  I wanted to wait for the 462, but that seems to be a never ending wait.

You won't be disappointed with the 461.

Happy cutting.

JaJ
MS461
MS362

knuckledragger

461 or 661 are outstanding saws. I've had only one 461 in the shop for repair and yet to see a 661, it's not like there's no loggers using them. Personally, if I were gonna spend that kinda $ I would spend on the 661. Unless a reconditioned 064av were available.

DelawhereJoe

What size and type of trees will you be cutting ? Theres no need for a 661 if your just cutting 20" or less firewood. For me cutting 24" or less hardwoods I felt I couldn't justify spending more then what I did on an ms 362 c-m. I may soon be helping a friend fell and cut a 40" red oak and I'll see how it cuts compared to his new to him rebuilt ms 660.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Firewoodjoe

It will be log use. Always used 372 575 and 394 huskys. Though 394 was not "really" needed. I'm just nervous of the electronic ignition.

DelawhereJoe

The 461 still uses a standard carb, it hasn't gotten the m-tronic system. The 462 which hasn't yet to hit the US market, that I know of, will be m-tronic.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Firewoodjoe

Stihl website says it has the intellicarb. I'm not sure what that is but assumed it electric.

olcowhand

Firewoodjoe,
I'm not a Pro like most on here, so take this with a grain (old saying).
I've owned a MS 461 for a year and a half now, sawing most weekends. I've put maybe 40- 50 tanks of fuel through it. I cut Maple, Beech, Ash, all Hardwood. It's a beast, and it just got better after the first 10 or so tanks. I've buried the 20 inch Bar in all these hardwoods at one time or another, and it will not be denied.
As previously mentioned, the Dealer was willing to deal.
I haven't had trouble starting or running it in any weather, but it pays to move the little shutter under the Air Cleaner cover when appropriate. I also think this saw doesn't use enough Bar Oil; a topic that's been discussed on this forum. This summer, I intend to have the High Output Oiler (which is stock on the Arctic version) put in it.
I hope this helps... Good luck with your choice.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

ZeroJunk

The Intellicarb has the snorkel or whatever you call it on the diaphragm side of the carb that only allows air from the filtered side of the air filter rather than just having a hole in it open to the outside. Compensates for the cleanliness or lack thereof of the air filter, supposedly. Some disagreement as to the usefulness.
But, it is not Mtronic.

Firewoodjoe

Well that sounds great. So could I get the arctic version and be better off? I haven't talk to the dealer yet. Figured I'd get educated first. Thanks guys. I'm buying up supplies to log full time. I work out for someone still. I want as much as I can bought and paid for ready. Got lots so far. I'm thinking I'll buy a new stihl to try and a tried and true 372 to go with my old 575 and 394 as they will be spares.

ehp

461 , that is the saw I fall with and I pretty much have just about every saw out there. I found the 661 sat in the truck way to much so sent it down the road . I will buy the new 462 when it comes out just to try but I plan on buying 5 new 461 arctics when the 462 comes out cause they will be on sale

Skeans1

I know a few guys out here that had 661 for primary falling saws that had ignition issues all the time a week in the shop, a a couple days in their hands, then back again most swapped back to Husqvarna 390's. If you need up getting a Stihl try to get a hold of a wrap saw it'll have a bigger high output Oiler for longer bars.

knuckledragger

olcowhand talkin like the boys round here on the 461. The ones I talk to say it is abeast. I havent heard any thing bad about the 661 plus I havent had one in the shop. loggers round here, generally speaking have a 25" b/c on a 461.

Firewoodjoe

Now I need to talk to the dealer and see why it's about $200 more than a husky.

teakwood

that's because you get a stihl! 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Firewoodjoe

Haha I've never ran a husky that i wasnt  happy enough with to pay 200 more for a differant brand.

teakwood

of course, i was just teasing the husky fans. i'm sure both brands have their pros and cons. i just always have been a stihl guy
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

woodsdog2015

I've got a 362CM it runs like a EDITED BY ADMIN
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Thank You Sponsors!