iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scored my premium domain name today.

Started by DR Buck, June 30, 2018, 09:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Almost as soon as I started milling back in 2004 I set up a web site.   As my business is a registered LLC called "Got Logs?" at the time I set up the page I wanted to use gotlogs.com.  But it, as well as gotlogs.net were taken and not available.   So I set up the site as gotlogs.biz. and moved on.   

Thanks to Jeff and the shameless commerce link I've done fairly well with people finding my site.  However, I have had lots of calls from customers that said they looked for my website but couldn't find it.  Turned out most of the time they were looking for .com or .net.    

About 2 years ago the .net domain opened and I grabbed it really cheap. I guess it wasn't considered a premium name.  I have it redirecting to my site at the .biz domain, so either one get you to my page.

Then tonight I found out that gotlogs.com was open and available.    8)    It was listed as a premium domain and now exactly cheap but I sprung for it anyway.   For not I think I will just redirect it to the .biz site.   When I get time after this remodel is done and I get my milling facilities up and going I will rehost under the .com domain and eventually drop both the .biz and .net domains.   They are both prepaid for a couple years so I can take my time.

Sometime in the next few days www.gotlogs.com will be up and open for business.   8)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tom the Sawyer

Ahhh, the premiums.

When I started, I tried to get TomTheSawyer.com but found that it was owned by a guy in California who was not a sawyer (he did marquetry).  I talked to him and asked that he let me know if he ever wanted to let it go.  I was able to get the .net and .biz versions of TomTheSawyer (about $10-15 per year each).  

I checked on TomTheSawyer.com every so often and, about a year ago, I found that it was dormant.  Sent him an email but go no reply.  Last fall I got a message from my web host who said that they had secured the rights to TomTheSawyer.com, and that I could buy it for $3795.   :o  >:( 

Maybe I should appreciate that my business has been able to increase the brand value that much, but after 7 years, GoDaddy has one less customer now.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Cedarman

It is interesting to think just the name of our website has value and can be sold (maybe) when the business is shut down.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!