iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

880 tuning

Started by Busysawyer, August 17, 2018, 08:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

So I've had an 880 for awhile now and its always been a dog. To me seems to run rich no matter how much I play with carb adjustments. I'm far from an expert but have jetted two stroke snowmobiles and dirtbikes quite a bit. Like I said not an expert but I know a rich two stroke and lean two stroke when I hear it.  A couple days ago I went to pick up a free load of logs from one of the areas larger tree services. This place has about 25 guys out in the field.  I was talking saws with the crew leader and mentioned my issues with my 880. He gives me the name and number of the guy who works on all of their saws. Come to find out the guy lives about a 1/2 mile up the road, we are neighbors.  So he stops over tweaks my screws for a quick minute. The saw runs better than I could get it running but we both thought still running rich. He said stihl put limiters on my saw and without removing them he wasnt going to get it any better. He advised me that this would void my warranty but said if it was his saw he would remove the limiters and lean it a little more. What do you guys think? This guy seems to know his stuff but I always wonder.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

teakwood

He is right! but of course it's your call
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

realzed

Mostly it really depends on how well you wish to get it running. Stihl puts those caps on them to make them, well basically.. 'idiot proof' and so many who might - can't tweek them too far and burn them up. That said, you know Stihl and any other manufacturer isn't going to allow adjustments near close to optimum because it's just a short twist away from disaster and warranty problems for them and poor reputation issues that go along with that. 
I imagine that from the sound of it, your neighbor knows full well what he is doing if he is well accepted by those who run saws commercially as that would often constitute usage bordering on abusive and if he adjusts their saws well enough to last that and they continue to praise his work, that would give me quite a comfort level - certainly more than just anybody (even some dealership mechanics unfortunately) else who might get the task of  trying and improve it.
Nothing says you have to try and get it fully optimized either and you may wish for your own peace of mind to tell him if he removes the caps, that you want it adjusted just a 'wee bit better' but still very slightly on the rich side since as we all know depending on time of year, altitude, weather, fuel and oil mixture, and actual use, there is no one perfect setting that covers or makes up for all of the variables anyway!

Upstatewoodchuc

I definitely agree with removing them will allow you to get an even finer tune, but be careful, it depends on what you do! I have a husky 3120xp and it has a carb with a fixed H jet, it always seems rich and slightly doggy when just bucking trees up or felling, but when you're pushing it to the max milling or using a 6ft bar on it, it runs perfect and keeps the saw from Burning up, just my 2 cents, -Pat.
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

HolmenTree

My 090AV drove me crazy too. But after the warranty ran out I disabled the choke style govenor. Totally different saw after that but took a constant keen ear keeping it tuned.
Ran it for years like that while milling with a .404 36" b/c and cutting 54" diameter paper rolls with a 60" harvester chain for months and never had a problem.

But during the warranty period they will run good with the govenor if the chain is always razor sharp and lower the depth gauges just a tad more then normal.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Busysawyer

Thank you all for your opinions. The saw doesn't run terribly. It cuts good with a sharp chain but it seems like it could have a lot more pep. I realize it's not going to be snappy like my 201 and 401 but I'd like it running a little stronger.  Probably wait for the warranty to run out and have the neighbor tune it the way he thinks it should be.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Thank You Sponsors!