iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question on site security

Started by addysdaddy, October 10, 2018, 07:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

addysdaddy

So this morning as i sometimes do. I googled my pen name to see if i was out there in cyberspace anywhere. when i selected images i was intrigued to find a number of the pictures i posted here of cut lumber etc including pics showing inside of my garage, yard, etc. using this info along with my generic info from the site it was easy to locate my house and have a pretty good idea of what was available to steal. even for a lazy robber. How are the pictures etc on this site protected from external downloading by third parties.  ??? :embarassed: 
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

Jeff

If you can view a photo online, you can download it. The only way for a forum to prevent that is to lock it down so the public cant see it at all. Once you share photos, you have shared photos. Hence the term share photos.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I gotta say, if you are worried about a random person seeing photos of a random person on line and using those to find you and steal from you, you must already have a wall and a mote and cannons to protect you from the existing threats around you.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Ain't skeerd.  I can already use Google Earth to check and see if I need to add Diesel to the fuel jugs in the back of my work truck.  ;D  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Odds are much greater that you will have a problem if your place looks like a soft target when the low life opportunist passes by. Easy access, no lighting, no barking dog, etc. Unless you have pictures of priceless art in the background organized, educated, thieves are not going to spend the time to case you out. 

I would be more worried about parking a keyless vehicle in plain sight than someone coming after your DeWalt cordless inside of the garage.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

The great majority of thieves just won't take the time to use the Internet to look for an easy mark.   Most times they ride by a location and determine how easy it would be to steal items there.  They are opportunistic.  Otherwise it is likely someone you are aquatinted with who has been to your location that will steal your stuff.

Thieves just aren't very smart and often are impaired by addiction.  Like the idiot that broke into my MIL's house and left his cell phone on the dresser in her bedroom, not too smart-nobody ever bailed him out.  Or like the lowlife that broke into my house, he gave a game system to his girlfriend's brother.  When it was connected, the IP address was uploaded and the police traced it - he served two years.

I'd be much more concerned with home, garage and workshop security than worried about photos of stuff in your garage being seen online.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

lxskllr

Although this isn't /that kind/ of forum, the attack scenario you imagine could happen if you pith someone off, and they want to find you. It's worth considering in an overall security plan, and to be mindful of what you post online, but I probably wouldn't worry about it here. As Jeff said, if it's online, it's available, and it's most likely forever.

Thank You Sponsors!