iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

55 years old, my first rock concert -

Started by mike_van, August 13, 2006, 09:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

The Stones are running at Church Downs on Sept. 29. :o Well, they are having a concert at the horse racing track in Sept. ;D  I have never been to the track to see the ponies run and I am not going to see the oldies at $300 a ticket. I sure hope the old guys don't step in anything left over from the fall meet at the track.  smiley_airfreshener
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

asy

Quote from: pigman on August 15, 2006, 09:35:41 PM
I am not going to see the oldies at $300 a ticket.
Bob

That's the main problem with going to Concerts...

They have an immensely inflated opinion of their own value.

I can't figure out who'd pay $400 for a ticket to a Billy Joel concert (admittedly that's a 'platinum pass' with seats in the first 10 rows) but for that $$ I'd want Billy to come play at MY HOUSE...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

oldsaw

Quote from: asy on August 15, 2006, 07:38:00 PM
Oh yeah, how could I forget one of my favourites!!!

Fleetwood Mac!!!

Only I was dissappointed that they had to carry Stevie Nicks onto the stage :(
(they need to restrict her access to imbibable substances prior to performance)

But they were still magic.

My wife's favorite Mac song too.

Mark

Oh, and they did one of my favourite songs... Landslide.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Engineer

Ain't worth going to concerts anymore because of the ticket price, but I've been to quite a few, and varied.
Let's see:

Rush, three times, for their Presto, Roll The Bones and Hold Your Fire tours.  I still want to see them again.
Def Leppard.
ZZ Top.  My favorite, got third row center seats ten minutes before the concert started.  Eliminator tour.
Billy Joel.
Blues Traveler, three times.
BB King.
Spin Doctors.
Tower of Power, this is one band I'll always pay to see.

Also a big country fan, so:

Tim McGraw
The Mavericks
Reba, twice.
Brooks and Dunn, three times.
Toby Keith.
Sawyer Brown
Diamond Rio
Lonestar

I've been to a few others I think, don't remember most of them.  I guess I'm getting old - I can buy an artist's entire collection of music for the price of one ticket.   Just not worth it, although I'd be willing to make an exception for the right band.  Always wanted to see Metallica in concert, but not anymore.  

woodmills1

saw joe cocker puke behind the speakers

saw stills wobbling around the stage

saw lynrd sknerd(sp?) carry the drummer on stage

saw leon russel in jersey city and the crowd threw so many beer bottles at him he stopped playing piano and got on top of the baby grand to play guitar

ever see earlier non stevie nicks fleetwood mac?  interesting

frank zappa  now there is a show

procol harum, yes, moody blues, TYA, rory gallager, e power bigs, sly and the family stone, linda ronstat, the eagles, deric and the dominoes, grand funk railroad, 4 tops, bb king, dire straits, lee michaels, john macgloklin and mahavisnu orchestra, outlaws, simon and garfunkle,savoy brown, leo kottke, rod stewart with and with out faces, 1910 fruitgum company(does your chewing gum.......), maria muldower, james taylor, joni mitchel, santana, flying burrito brothers, foghat, parliment/funkadelic, judy collins, joan baez.....................
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sawguy21

I am a big Fleetwood Mac fan too. The Stones were in Edmonton several years ago but I didn't go. Sat on my buddy's deck and listened to it from across the river. That was LOUD. Same with Genesis.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

Heck with cost too much, they are just too loud !!!!

The last band I saw was Atlanta Rythem Section in the early 80s? Portland, ME.
Tom Rush more than once over the years.
Saw Louis Armstrong in  Concord?( might have been Hanover) NH in the late 60s ;D

If I go to anything at all now, it's folk or blues like Chris Smither at a small place.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dale Hatfield

I Saw KISS  last Aug at aHonda Family picnic. Still loud as ever. Full  dress and makeup.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

pasbuild

My daughter and her hubby took me to a Keith Urban / little small town concert the weekend before the pig roast, Keith Urban rocks ;) Been going to concerts sense the late 60s early 70s.  One of the Stones road managers lived across the street from a friend of mine and got us tickets front and center on there voodoo lounge tour along with back stage pass's. He droped from a heart attack while on tour and the boys stopped by to give Clair there condolences.
Some of the acts that I have seen are
Wet Willie
Flow & Eddy
Slim Barnie
Dobbie Brothers
Allman Brothers
Amazing Rythem Aces
Foreigner
Little River Band
Todd Rungren
Yes
Arrowsmith
BBKing
Journey
Bob Segar
Neils Loffgrin
Boz Skages
Little Texas
Hughie Lewis
Marshal Tucker Band...........................And More

I don't have the energy or patience  to fight the crowd so I limit them to reserved seating only.

Would love to see Clapton before hes done touring.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Brucer

Starting about the time asy was learning to walk ;D ...

Melanie
Cat Stevens
Iron Butterfly
Moody Blues

... then skip ahead 30 years and get out of the city ...

Blue Rodeo (x2)
Colin James

An observation about small community concerts as opposed to big city ones: ticket prices are much lower but the volume is just as high.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

asy

Quote from: Brucer on August 17, 2006, 01:18:06 AM
Starting about the time asy was learning to walk ;D ...

hehe...

I like Cat Stevens, and Moody blues, have NO idea who those others are :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Brucer

Melanie (aka Melanie Safka): 1970 -- "Candles in the rain", "What have they done to my song, Ma", also a really good cover of Jagger & Richards' "Ruby Tuesday". Not a rock artist, but a great performer -- also a quirky sense of humour.

Cat Stevens was a disappointment. I was doing side door security, so I couldn't see the stage. The performance was absolutely identical to his recordings. I might as well have stayed home and listened to the records.

Iron Butterfly had nothing to do with Led Zepplin, but one suspects the name is not entirely coincidental. Known primarily for their 17 minute hit, "In-A-Gadda-da-Vida". Live was better than the record, except when the drummer kinda got lost in his solo and it went on, and on, and on ... made one wonder if he was smoking funny cigarettes before the show ;D.

I saw The Moody Blues in Toronto in either '71 or '72. Even better live than their recordings.

Blue Rodeo appeared in the mid '80's. I liked them back when they weren't sure if they were a rock group or a country rock group. The only two originals are Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor -- seeing those two live adds a whole other dimension to their performance -- wore me right out. Affected my hearing for a couple of days, too ;D. Must have a dozen albums/CD's out by now. Oh, yeah, they're Canadian, eh?

Colin James (aka Colin James Munn). Another Canadian. Amazing blues/rock guitarist/singer/songwriter. Discovered by/toured with Stevie Ray Vaughan. Live performance is even better than his albums (if your hearing can take it).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Patty

One of the best concerts I went to was Allman Brothers. It was an outdoor concert down in Phoenix. Then there was Lou Reed, ZZ Top, Johney Winters, Edgar Winters, Black Oak Arkansas, to name a few. Electric Light Orchestra was pretty good to see in concert. We had tickets to see Led Zeplin, but one of them broke his thumb and they cancelled. I am still bummed out about that one!

Ahhhh so many bands, so little memory.  ::)   Is it any wonder I have no hearing these days.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Lud

Hey Engineer!  You hit it right! Tower of Power 's the best set of HORNS on the planet!!!! 8) 8) 8)

They still got 4 or 5 of the originals and have been going over thirty years.I drove up to Canada to catch 'em last year and caught this year in Cleveland.   I have their music on my MP3 when I'm mowing on the zero radius!!!!

The only other band I'd say is worth seeing is another bunch that's been touring over 30 years and that's Little Charlie and the Nightcats.  Funny songs and great harp from Rick and Charlie is the best guitar player I ever heard.  Seen them twice in the last 5 years.  Worth every cent.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Burlkraft

Wow Patty...........

Black Oak Arkansas...There's some memories...I haven't thought about them for years, One of those concerts where something amazing happens that you never forget. I'm going to have to dig out my turntable and maybe give one of thier albums a spin....... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

Burl, They played up here this summer in a tiny town, I think it was for Sourkraut Days or something.  ::)   Sometimes you gotta know when to put the old guitar down. 
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

First one was CCR, then some that I remember are Grand Funk, Charlie Daniels, Allman Brothers, Moody Blues (one of the best bands I've ever seen live), ELO, ZZ Top, Joe Walsh, and many others I don't recall because of my state of mind at the time. ;D

Haven't been to one in years, too expensive and too much hassle.

Raphael

We've seen "Gandalf Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams" eight times in the past 14 months, including day trips to the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival this year and last.  I work at a VA hospital weekend evenings so we don't get out much.  ;D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Burlkraft

Saurkraut Days   ??? ??? ???

Wow that's almost as bad as bein' booked at the race track and they kick ya out half way through the show cuz it's gonna rain and they want to get the race in.......

REO Speedwagon..... :-\ :-\ :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Engineer

Quote from: Lud on August 19, 2006, 06:44:26 AM
Hey Engineer!  You hit it right! Tower of Power 's the best set of HORNS on the planet!!!!

They still got 4 or 5 of the originals and have been going over thirty years.I drove up to Canada to catch 'em last year and caught this year in Cleveland.   I have their music on my MP3 when I'm mowing on the zero radius!!!!

October 1 they're playing in Albany, NY; I'm taking both my boys to see what real horns are like.  One plays trumpet, the other alto sax, and they have had zero exposure to that soul/funk/jazz/big band sound.   

If you like that stuff you need to also check out the Refrigerators and Mighty Mighty Bosstones.   Also Doc Kupka's Strokeland Superband, which has a lot of alumni from TOP.   

"If you see someone sitting still at a Tower of Power concert, don't bother checking their pulse -- they're already dead!"

Daren

Rush 3x, Motley Crue 2x (both LOUD), Whitesnake, The Firm (Jimmy Page from Zepplin and Paul Rogers), Tom Petty (got dragged by a girl, it was ok)  SRV and Double Trouble (RIP SRV), Metallica...I guess dozens of other heavy metal bands like Skid Row, Ratt, Alice in Chains, Pantera, Ozzy Osborne, Dio... Don't remember them all right now, if it was loud and hard I was there.

That was then, now I am digging out and really enjoying my old albums Allman Brothers was mentioned, man I dig them. Blackfoot, Marshall Tucker band, old Neil Young, Thin Lizzie, Yes, and the first 2 Police albums. I like Fleetwood Mac now too. I guess I am getting older. I still "bang my head" just not as often, I can really enjoy some of the other great stuff that was recorded and I wasn't listening to. I will even jam to a little Wilson Pickett, Sam Cook, Otis Redding now and again. I still can't do country music with the exception of Willie Nelson, some Johnny Cash and a little David Allen Coe.

I have been to ALOT of concerts. I still say one of the best SHOWS I ever saw David Copperfield, the magician. I am not a magic fan, I just have no interest in it. We went to a David Copperfield show to help a buddy out on a double date and I was BLOWN AWAY. We sat right in front and it was really something. I can't imagine the amount of work that went into setting up some of the illusions, really impressive.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Lud

Hey Daren, 
                   I want to apologize........been waaay too busy at the plant since May and ,  in August when you sent out your thread-killin' paen to metal music , I wasn't there to bounce the ball back over to Engineer,  who was feedin' me the real deal on Doc Kupka.......HE'S THE DOCTOR OF FUNKOLOGY.........plays a big chunky alto sax ampped up to a point that your body  feels it like you're at an unlimited power boat  race with a wave of sound thuddin' into your chest.   Not just loud and painful like Metal could be...., y'know,  "couple of cats with their tails duct-taped together in a garbage can and a microphone inside".....but real, y'know, music.

So , Daren,  I'm always interested in anything you write,  it wasn't your fault --more just a ' you were that age- that was what was playin' at the time-'   ssort of thing, but really ,  it's like finding out someone was abused as a child......sorta feel sorry for'em......and I am sorry to the whole Forum for not replying sooner to Engineer to keep this thread alive.

My bad.

And Engineer , I will check out the Refrigerators and Mighty Mighty Bosstones.  I have been to the Doctor's  site,  but not lately, ...as I said... bin  too busy.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

TexasTimbers

I have been on the other side of rock concerts. As the drummer for Pegasus in 80 & 81. I don't want to ever go to another rock concert in my life.
I still play just to release some tension and teach the youngest son, who has some serious talent.
I would play again if I could find some like-minded progressive jazz musicians locally. Right. In Fannin County Texas. :D

When I was going to concerts as a fan, I have to say my favorite one was in April of 1976 in Moody Colloseum; Yes - I believe it was the Hydra tour. Awesome laser show (for back then it was cutting edge) and they really had the hammer down.
I don't know though. The RUSH Moving Pictures concert I went to was just as good. that was in 1981 and believe this or not i still have the T shirt somewhere.  ::)
I wouldn't go to another one though. I just don't have the taste for it and the Spirit would protest every second I was there so that i would be miserable anyway. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Daren

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

mike_van

Here's a little update - My sons really got into guitar playing, he's getting lessons from Joe Bouchard, formerly of Blue Oyster Cult - http://www.blueoystercult.com/History/Joe.html    When the two of them get going, the cats run & hide, my wife closes a door, and i go up to the mill -  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!