iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Not getting email notifications..

Started by Piston, August 16, 2010, 02:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

I suddenly stopped getting email notifications?  I didn't change any settings in my profile and I have made sure I have "notify" clicked when posting a reply but I haven't had an email notification in weeks? 

I just posted a couple threads and I have quite a few replies but no notifications, I usually rely on the notify feature to let me know when someone replies to my post, or adds to a post i'm subscribed to.

Can anyone help me get my notifications back?  ???
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jeff

Have you checked your junk mail?  Could be for some reason your ISP is blocking forum mail as well.  Swamp Donkey's notifications stopped awhile back and then mysteriously started again. The forum is sending, for some reason, you just aint getting.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I bet it is yahoo.  The forum server had been getting lambasted by kickbacks from them. I think due to a spammer forging the send on mail from webmaster@forestryforum.com  there is no such email address and never has been one, and thats the one that yahoo was kicking back at us as spam when we didnt even send them.  Could be they have blocked others as well now.

Larry

Email notifications mostly stopped for me maybe a month ago.  Sometimes a few get through but most times none at all.

My email is yahoo.  It's a disposable one that forwards email to my real email if that makes sense.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

You might try changing your forum email to something other then a yahoo email and see if that works.  Make sure in your profile under account settings that your email address is hidden. (if its ticked, it's hidden, however you can still see it, the forum admins can see it, but no one else can see it or get at it)

Piston

Jeff,
Is there an email address that the yahoo mail recognizes from the forum notifications?  If so could I add that address to my contacts list?  I checked my spam folder and there is nothing in there from the forum, I think yahoo must be blocking it before it even gets to my spam folder. 
If there is no address I can add to my yahoo mail contacts then I will try setting up a gmail account and forwarding the emails through that.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jeff

Piston

Well I tried adding that email address to my contacts and still nothing.  Then yesterday I updated my email address to a different one I use sometimes, still didn't get anything from there.  I double checked that I am 'enabling notifications' and I don't see any reason I'm not getting them?  My other address is a gmail address. 

When I changed my email to my gmail address It said I needed to check the verification email, however I didn't get one on my gmail address?  Somehow I can magically login now though (probably thanks to Jeff).

Am I just doomed and I'll never get email notifications again?  Maybe it's something I said?   :D :D :D
-Matt

SwampDonkey

Neither Jeff or I did anything on our ends when my notifications stopped, then mysteriously began again. Internet burp or something. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Have you clicked on the "Spam" folder in gmail to verify that FF emails aren't being flagged as spam?  That happened to me once, long ago.

Also, I'm wondering why you need email notifications on every thread you have posted to?  Just stop by and hang out more often and check the threads.  Stay a while and chat more.  :)

Piston

Quote from: Warbird on August 21, 2010, 11:01:24 AM
Have you clicked on the "Spam" folder in gmail to verify that FF emails aren't being flagged as spam?  That happened to me once, long ago.

Also, I'm wondering why you need email notifications on every thread you have posted to?  Just stop by and hang out more often and check the threads.  Stay a while and chat more.  :)

I did check the spam folders in both yahoo and gmail but nada. 
I do like subscribing to the threads and getting the email updates, personnel preference I guess. 
If there is some kind of way to see how much I've been on the forum lately I'm sure you would all think I had nothing else to do!   :D :D
-Matt

Warbird

Heh.  I practically live here while doing other stuff.  Not sure I want to know how many hours a day I'm around.  :)

Jeff

try killing all your notifications then adding some back.

WDH

Just about a month ago, I stopped receiving e-mail notifications when I got a PM from someone on the Forum.  Interesting.  Something is going on, and my e-mail account is not yahoo or gmail.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Mine is only Bell/Aliant here, has been from the start except a yahoo account that I stopped 2 years ago with my website. But, it's always been the Bell/Aliant I use on the forum account. It goes under the old name of NBnet, which was a crown corporation called NBTel. It's (telecom. company) been sold a couple times since.

Anyway, just throwing that out there as information in case we run out of ideas to figure what's going on or not going on.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I've reconfigured the forum software just now to use php mail server from smtp. see if that makes a difference.

Piston

I'll give that a try Jeff

Thanks for all your help guys!  ;D
-Matt

John Mc

I'm not getting email notifications either. My ISP is Wildblue (satellite internet). They contract with Google for email services. It does seem odd that both Google and Yahoo would pick the same time to start blocking spam.

I've checked my gmail spam folder, and there is nothing from the Forestry Forum there either. I wonder if one of the intermediate servers that the mail passes through is blocking it before it gets to google/gmail ?? I had that problem once in the past (before Wildblue started contracting with Google). Took a long time for them to figure out what was going on. In the mean time, I was not getting emails from two family members, and from anyone in my employer's domain. Nothing ever showed up in the spam folders, and the sender never got any error messages.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Piston

John,
I've tried everything recommended but still nothing.  I'm hoping it will magically start working again just as it magically stopped one day.  Not really sure what else we can do?
-Matt

Magicman

Quote from: Piston on August 28, 2010, 02:54:57 PM
..........magically start.....magically stopped......

Don't drag the Magicman into it.
He didn't see nothing, he didn't do nothing, he didn't said nothing, he didn't know nothing.     :D :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Quote from: Piston on August 28, 2010, 02:54:57 PM
John,
I've tried everything recommended but still nothing.  I'm hoping it will magically start working again just as it magically stopped one day.  Not really sure what else we can do?

I might put a notice in to my ISP and/or Google to get then working on it. It took a while last time I ran into this, but they eventually got it fixed ... after a couple of months on my ISP's part denying there was any problem.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Jeff -

Are you getting delivery error messages on any of these, or not? I'm wading through the help files on Gmail, and they asked this question.  I have to go through all of that before I can submit a trouble ticket.

If you are getting an error message back, they ask me to chose from the following:
   'Our system detected an illegal attachment on your message.'
   'Over quota' or 'Inbox full'
   'Your message exceeded Gmail's size limits.'
   'Our servers have detected a mail loop.'
   'This Gmail user does not exist.'
   'The Gmail user you are trying to contact is receiving mail at a rate that prevents additional messages from being delivered.'
   'We weren't able to find the recipient domain.'
   'Parse Error: Illegal To: address (invalid domain name)
   None of the errors above

Is what you are seeing any of the above?

They also offered this link as help for administrator's whose domain is having trouble getting messages through to gmail recipients:
   http://mail.google.com/support/a/wildblue.net/bin/answer.py?answer=80369

Might be worth a look.

John Mc

Jeff

John Mc

Are you getting any error messages back at all, or are the notifiactions just vanishing into oblivion?

Jeff

The problem is that we have a problem. The email webmaster@forestryforum.com, which does not now and never has existed, is somehow responsible for sending out boat loads of spam. This is resulting in forum email being banned from all over until we can find a solution. I can get the bans rescinded until we can find a way to stop the spam fountain.  We have top levek Linux administrators working on the problem, but as of yet, they cannot find where or how the spam is being generated. It just is. I'm not at all happy about their inefficiencies in finding the problem.  I'm sure its not the forum software, as I have disabled it completely in the middle of the night along with any other scripts we use, and the spam continues to show up in the mail log files. Lots of it. So the dedicated server is responsible, but the Forestry Forum is not, but its our I.P. getting banned.