iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exploding Pork

Started by SasquatchMan, December 27, 2003, 04:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

Duane, actually I have.  Mr and Mrs Lamar Elliot who used to keep me and my brother used to make it once or twice a year.  I can't remember all the details just that it was a lot of fun watching and helping.   Their children, Charles Liddel, and Mrs. Kateth  had suffered from polio when they were very young.  Charles Liddel was wheelchair bound, and Mrs. Kateth had to wear braces.  Still they worked around the house Charles Liddel could drive and they played with us kids.  Nothing much slowed them down for two reasons, one, because they didn't want it too and because they had to.  They were very poor.  Mrs. Keyrons speciality cooking was potato soup, boy could she make it taste good.  

They were a great inspriation to me in raising my youngest son Jeremy.  By the time he was two years old he had two open heart surgeries . His right side doesn't work so good.  Botox treatments has helped a lot with his walking and use of his hand.  I just found out lately that when he was very young my older kids used to use him in their experiments, such as putting him in a barrel and rolling him down a hill before they'd try it!  Really, hasn't much ever slowed him down.  I've even seen him tote whole bundles of shingles up a ladder just to see if he could!  When he was born he weighed 2.4 lbs.  Now he's pushing 6 FEET TALL!  

I was wondering if anyone else had ever helped make lye soap or pump water out of a well! ! :)   Guess I was lucky, never had it in my mouth! ;D  But I sure did hate having to go and cut a switch!!!!!!! ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Haytrader

We had neighborhood butcherings when I was a kid. My grandfather would have a couple hogs, my dad the same, and seems like two or three neighbors with a few. Since my grandparents had a new double garage with a washroom attached, they were the hosts of the event. A loader tractor was used to lift the hogs out of the pen and to dip them in one of the barrels of very hot water. Propane was used to heat the water.
     Once the hogs were scalded and gutted, they were split and moved inside. Work tables were made by laying plywood on sawhorses with sheets covering them. The processing was done assembly line fashion with both men and women involved. I am sure I had a job but can't remember what it was as I was small at the time.
     I do remember they injected the hams with a syringe and hung them in burlap sacks while they cured.
     One of my brothers owns the place now and the garage is so full of "stuff" that there is no way you could get a hog in there. Barely a package of bacon.

:D  :D  :D
Haytrader

SwampDonkey

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Sounds just as fun as chasing the be-headed chickens through the burdock patch when Mr McGrath chopped the heads off with the axe on the hardwood choppin block.  :-/

bock bock buck-okkkkkk!

;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jayhdjr

I laughed so hard on page one, I had to see who else hadn't seen this yet. LOL
Logosol M7, Stihl 041, Stihl MS 310, Kubota B26

starmac

When we butchered hogs at home, we would do the taste test to get the sausage seasoning just right too. We would normally make all the sausage one or two hogs would make along with all the other cuts, then grind a whole hog less the hams into sausage, as we liked our sausage. I remember one year we done a whole hog up in sausage with dad and I doing the seasoning, when done we had it hot enough that mom or none of my sisters would eat it, so we had it all to ourselves, man that was some good sausage.

And old man down the road had a truck farm I picked vegetables on, could no longer eat pork, but he had some antique processing equipment and really farm equipment of all sorts. He had a huge cast iron hog scalding vat, probably the only actual store bought one I have ever seen. He also had a sausage grinder that ran off of the endless belt pto of his tractor. This grinder had a throat that was over a foot in diameter and stood about 3 feet tall. This stuff had not been used in several years by the time I got to know him, and just sit out in the weather, but I tried and tried to buy them, but he wouldn't even talk about selling.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

coxy

:D :D funny story       I remember when I was 6-7 we had a guy come up and cut  our pigs  he wouldn't shoot them but after the first one got stuck the second came through the 5 board 2x8 fence and ran me over causing me to get my first 6 stiches in my head  after 2 days of looking for the pig the guys son shot it in the head with a 30-30 said he was tired of looking for it and chasing it  ;D to this day I can not kill a pig or a cow  I can be there when its done but cant do it  and I really miss the fresh pork rinds we use to make  we would cook them down on our wood stove it was always a battle between my dad and I who was going to get in the pot first to get the good ones  oh and cant forget about the how great the doughnuts where with the fresh pig fat uummmmm

47sawdust

I didn't realize how old this post was until I saw ,"In Memorian" next to a few posts.
Kinda like Dead man Talkin'
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Kbeitz

I was never much for Pork until I marred my Dominican wife.
Now we cook a whole pig every summer.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Quote from: 47sawdust on January 28, 2018, 04:34:38 PM
I didn't realize how old this post was until I saw ,"In Memorian" next to a few posts.
Kinda like Dead man Talkin'

I love it when someone brings up one of these old fun threads from days of yore.  It brings back some fond memories of some members who are no longer with us. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

starmac

I always ate a lot of pork, we raised hogs growing up and always had somewhere between 50 and 300 head, but I never was around anybody roasting a whole pig. I always heard they were good, and most I heard of roasted them with an apple in their mouth.

Depending on who made it, I liked head cheese, or hated it. I don't remember us ever making any ourselves, we would cook the heads down and mom would make tomales out of the head meat, which was some good vittles.

coxy

yum yum haven't had fresh head cheese in years  but your right its good or garbage

petefrom bearswamp

Head cheese? no but pig roast in Harrison Michigan you bet
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

starmac

Not pork, well there probably was some ham hocks or salt pork or something in it, but my wifes grandmother had a pressure cooker blow up with pinto beans, it caused quite a commotion, and when they finally tore the old farmhouse down, you could still see the claw marks in the sheetrock across the living room ceiling the cat left.

coxy

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on January 29, 2018, 06:37:12 PM
Head cheese? no but pig roast in Harrison Michigan you bet
you don't know what your missing

justallan1

Okay no pig stories, but this whole post was pure entertainment!

sawguy21

Quote from: starmac on January 29, 2018, 07:59:26 PM
Not pork, well there probably was some ham hocks or salt pork or something in it, but my wifes grandmother had a pressure cooker blow up with pinto beans, it caused quite a commotion, and when they finally tore the old farmhouse down, you could still see the claw marks in the sheetrock across the living room ceiling the cat left.
:D :D :D I bet the cat wasn't the only one running for cover. We bought a pig from close friends, Karen, the city girl, was quite fascinated watching it grow and named it Marie. She almost fell over laughing when I reminded her that was my ex girlfriends name. Dave fattened it on fruit, kitchen scraps as well as whey from the cheese plant, I have never had better pork. I was reluctant to try head cheese but held my nose and went for it, actually makes a fine sammich.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kbeitz

Quote from: justallan1 on February 03, 2018, 07:03:15 PM
Okay no pig stories, but this whole post was pure entertainment!

Gotta keep it going...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

The adidas jackets adds something.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DaveinNH

Shouldn't the passengers be wearing helmets as well?
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

Thank You Sponsors!