iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

phone app

Started by NMFP, April 05, 2014, 07:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMFP

Does anyone currently use a phone app that lets you generate a tally of a set of logs?  Such as, you need to tally 25 logs of different lengths and diameters to determine total bf volume.

Any ideas or anything you use currently?  Looking to do something with my phone instead of buying a complete log tallying system.

thecfarm

Could the FF one be used on a phone? It's up in Extra,than Toolbox.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom the Sawyer

"Sawlog Calc Pro"

There is a personal version which is free but the Pro version is only $2.99.  It keeps as many logs as you like per tally.  Keeps multiple tallies, your choice of International, Scribner or
Doyle scales, also calculates the weights.  You can also have the tally sent to you and/or your customer by email.  I've been using it for about 6 months and it is extremely handy. 

The only thing I have questioned is some of the weights the author used for calculating weights.  Most of them are consistent with published 'green' weights per cubic foot but he has walnut at 76 lbs. whereas most other references are around 58 lbs. (you can substitute another wood with a similar weight if the weight is that important). 

Try it, it is the best one I have found for this purpose.  www.boardcalc.com 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

sawmillhand

Would be nice if they had one for I phone guess it's back to ole pen and paper :)
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

redbeard

Handyman Calculator is a free app.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

NMFP

Tom... That works great and is exactly what I wanted.  I was reading up on how to build an app but since this is available and I can export the tallies, it works wonderful! 

Thanks and this is excellent for anyone with a smart phone running android!

ArnoldFarms

There's another good app called "Board Feet" for the IPhone. Check it out. It helps when calc. your board feet, waste, and price.
Faith, Family, Job

dboyt

Norwood has a mobile app for both Apple & Android that has a lot of features for calculating board footage & weight of timber & lumber.  Here's the link. http://www.norwoodsawmills.com/norwood-mobile-app
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

terrifictimbersllc

If you have a new i-phone try asking Siri to do it.  See what she says!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

Thanks Tom, I just bought the app. I've been looking for something just like that. The weight for white pine is crazy off, but as long as the board footage is right, then it's just what I'm looking for.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

I just compared the app to the forum toolbox calculator. Exact match on Doyle and Scribner, about 8% high on Int. 1/4"?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom the Sawyer

If you get the Pro version and tap the species list you find a custom list option at the bottom.  You can enter species that aren't listed (like hedge) and a weight or duplicate the species with your preferred weight (instead of "Walnut, Black  76 pounds" I entered "Black Walnut 58 pounds") and it will use that weight for the calculations.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.

Dave Shepard

I'm not too worried about the weight issue, but the Int. 1/4" not matching up to other known tables is bothersome.

Tom the Sawyer

I just checked a dozen different combinations and all were exactly the same as an International 1/4" chart I have been using for years.  One difference is the chart I have been using, and the program, both round the numbers to increments of 5 bf.  Some calculators, such as the one in the Tool Box, round differently.  On smaller logs that can be a considerable difference. 

In the user manual there is an explanation of some of the rounding, especially the rounding of weights, which varies with the size of the log.  He explains that the weight is a very rough estimate because green log weights can vary widely.

When I have used the program with clients' logs (more than 50 times so far) I tell them the scale bf and explain that we will likely get more due to the narrow kerf of the bandsaw and/or if we mill thicker boards. 

International 1/4" is the closest I can find for predicting the yield from clients' logs.  It is surprising no one has come up with a Bandsaw Scale.  If buying logs I use the Doyle scale.

dboyt

Tom, the International 1/8" scale would come pretty close, though I didn't find any tables, here's a link with the formula: https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-191.pdf.  It was actually developed before the 1/4"rule.

Calculation of yields for 4/4 lumber is 8 boards cut with 1/8" kerf for every 7 boards cut with 1/4" Kerf.  8/7= 1.14 (14% increase in yield), which is very close to what I have observed at the  Sawmill & Woodlot Management magazine Shoot-Outs.  The circle blade mills hit the 1/4" rule pretty close to right on.  Circle blade sawyers claim that this advantage is lost due to wavy boards.  I can't print my reply on this forum.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Tom the Sawyer

For those who use the SawLog Calc Pro app for Android phones, I got an email from the developer this evening.

He has just released a new version with a couple of improvements.  One of the changes is that you can tap a previous comment and insert that rather than starting from scratch.  

The other improvement (which I think makes it the only app with this feature) is that he added the International 1/8" scale.  The International 1/8" Scale is much more accurate for thin kerf bandmills.  For example, with the 1/4" scale, a log that measures 24" on the small end and 8' long would scale at 205 bf.  On the 1/8" scale it scales at 225 bf.

Tom

Thank You Sponsors!