iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another great CraigsList find

Started by Ljohnsaw, May 14, 2016, 11:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

My daughter thinks I have special powers.  I think about what I want or need and it shows up on CL for free :D

Up at my cabin, I have a solar powered water well that pumps into a tank.  From there, when the cabin is done, an RV pump will supply the cabin.  The tank is high enough that it gravity feeds the toilet in my shower house I built last year.  I have to run the pump in the shower house for the shower and sink, however.

I've been wanting a gas powered pump to mount on a little trailer with water barrels so I can have some water pressure for concrete cleanup and ready water for burn piles and such.  So, today a old gas powered pump shows up for free about 5 miles from my house.

Its was a little dirty.  It had a light coat of white paint mist like it was sitting somewhere close to a building being painted.  I pulled the air filter off and it was totally clean inside.  The gas tank was dry, no rust with a little bit of dust (old sediment).  I check the oil and it is brand new.  The plug was used but in good shape.  I started to push off the oil soaked dust and was amazed at the condition.  I recognized the kind of puke green paint.

It has a little Briggs & Stratton 2 hp mated to a small pump.  It is an old Sears product.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been started since it got "painted".  There is paint on the head fins that should have cooked off if was running.  Anyhow, I gave it some fresh gas and tried to start it.  No go - I think the intake valve is stuck open a little.  I can feel both vacuum and pressure when I turn it over.  I'll pull the head and have a look tomorrow.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Roxie

You do have special powers.   :)
Say when

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawguy21

Stuck intake valve is very common for air cooled engines in that application.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Looks like your "need" and "find" stars may have aligned.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 15, 2016, 12:37:58 PM
Stuck intake valve is very common for air cooled engines in that application.
I'm hoping, I figure this has probably been sitting for many years.  Had that issue on my 16hp Kohler that I know was sitting for 7+ years.  Fingers crossed.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

scgargoyle

Everyone should have a super power, and yours is one I can relate to! Half of the things in our house seemingly came from craigs or ebay. :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

sandhills

Might not hurt to pull the flywheel and clean up the magneto also, I've found that to help a lot with small engines that have sat a long time.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: sandhills on May 16, 2016, 12:34:59 PM
Might not hurt to pull the flywheel and clean up the magneto also, I've found that to help a lot with small engines that have sat a long time.
What's to clean on the mag?  Spiderwebs?  It has spark - seems like enough.  At first, I pulled the plug and had the wire hooked to it.  Pulled the starter rope but nothing - not a good ground.  So I held the wire so the threads of the plug were on the head good.  Pulled the rope and the spark plug wire was leaking a bit :o
John Sawicky

sandhills

I was talking mostly rust on everything and checking measurements, if yours has good spark it probably won't help much though.

Ljohnsaw

I need to pick @Kbeitz brain since he has one of everything in his collections :D

No go.  I changed the plug to one from a running 2hp B&S.  Seems like way more spark - a scary amount!  So, spark is good (outside the head).  I am concerned that when I place the palm of my hand over the intake and pull the rope, I feel alternating suction AND pressure.  That is why I was thinking the intake is stuck open.  So I pulled the head.  This engine has definitely ran in the past.  A bit of carbon buildup.  Light rusty around the exhaust and black around the intake and combustion chamber.  Nothing major and not oil soaked.  So I cleaned all that off.  What I noticed is the action of the intake valve.  Maybe this is normal but I don't see how it could work.  The valve open quite wide for the intake stroke and closes ALMOST completely at the bottom of the stroke.  It is very slightly open (enough so I can rotate the valve) until the piston is about 1/2" from top of stroke.  It is fully seated for that last 1/2" or so.  I don't see how that could give much compression.  That is, unless this engine has a compression release but that seems strange for such a small engine.  I tried squirting some carb cleaner in the intake to see if it would fire. Nope.  My neighbor brought over his starting fluid and shot a good dose in the spark plug hole.  We pulled and pulled but not a pop.  Ideas?
John Sawicky

Kbeitz

I've seen this happen a few times in my lifetime.
If the engine was run hot the valve stem can stretch.
The only fix is to remove the valve and replace or
just grind off the amount needed to get it closed again.
You can google "valve stem stretch" and see that other
people have this problem to. I myself just grind a little
off the valve or the lifter so it closes again.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Kbeitz,
Now there is a controversial topic!  I can pull the intake valve without popping the case so I'll give it a little grind and see what happens.  Still a puzzle as to why I can't get a little pop, though.
Thanks for the idea.
John Sawicky

pineywoods

The valve stems will stretch from excessive heat, but more likely the valve seat is corroded away from running un-leaded fuel. Grinding off the end of the valve stem to adjust is nothing new. Henry Ford's flathead V8 was like that, no adjustments in the valve train...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ljohnsaw

Spent an hour or so and got it running.  I looked up the specs on the valves and read a little on how you are supposed to take it apart and such.  They recommend pulling the carb and muffler off to make things easy.  Well, when I pulled the muffler off, I found the exhaust port PACKED with cut leaves and the muffler packed with mud.  Stupid mud daubers!  Cleaned all of that out and checked the valve clearance.  Exhaust was good and the intake was about .002 - should be between .005 and .007.  So I pulled it and ground it down and ended up at .010.  Oh well, that will give it room to grow.  I pulled the exhaust valve as well to clean it up and get the rest of the leaves out of the port.  Put it back together and it fired right up!

So on to the pump.  There was a rubber check valve of sorts that was deformed and stiff so I pulled that and made a new one.  Also washed out a lot of rust powder, dirt and dead bugs.  I filled a 5 quart bucket with water and stuck the pickup pipe into it.  I primed the pump, fired it up and nothing (for about 3 seconds).  As I was walking around to see if I could tip it or lift the bucket to help it pull the water, it started pumping and just caught me with the water stream on my side.  Emptied the bucket in about 2 seconds!  This will work great up at the cabin project.
John Sawicky

Onthesauk

Sweet!  And the price was right!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ljohnsaw

Yep!  All I spent on it was my time. 

Next up is to make a pickup manifold to hook to a pair of 55 gallon drums.  Need to get a 1" pvc ball valve and a couple unions so I can disconnect it.  Then add a hose reel and it will be ready to go up to my property.
John Sawicky

Magicman

Congrats on your pump success.  Now back to bigger and better things.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

I decided to "palletize" my pump.  I had a stack of various plastic pallets (so it will never rot out) to choose from.  I needed a hose reel (plastic ones show up on occasion on CL) but wanted something a little more sturdy.  Walked into Goodwill and there it was.  Brand new steel RainBird reel with 75' of 1" hose (green) and about 8' of hookup hose(red).  I found a 1½" ball valve in my stash of junk supplies.  I added another 75' of ¾" contractor's rubber hose.  Should be enough to get everywhere on my foundation when I need to wet it before the pour next week.

It can move a lot of water if no back pressure (10-15 gpm) and with a little jet stream, probably builds up to 40 or 50 psi.  Just need to put a strap or two on the tank and good to go!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

(Almost) a final update:

I filled the water barrel about half way and tested everything.  Worked great.  Ran the fuel tank dry.

On Tuesday, took it up to the property.  Spent the better part of the day finishing up little details to get ready for the pour (next Wednesday!).  Took the palleted pump down to where I could gravity fill it from my holding tank.  Filled up the gas tank.  Gave it a pull - nothing.  Choked it - nothing but a few pop-pops.  Too sunny out to see if there was still a spark.  Pulled the pump off and took it home.  I thought maybe had something to do with the altitude or I sucked some dirt into the carb, but same pop-pop and nothing.  Checked for spark - nothing!??!  Pulled the flywheel to check the points - figured maybe the condenser gave out or something.  Go to check the gap and NO GAP!  The points didn't even move at all.  Everything was tight so I loosened the condenser and moved it down far.  Then cam was doing what it is supposed to do.  Reset the gap and it runs great again.  I'm at a loss as to how it could have closed up the points?  I guess it was just marginal before, but this is strange.  The condenser looked ok but in hindsight, maybe it swelled a little pushing the contact up into the points?  The points were not pitted so I assumed the condenser was good.

Now I need to take it back up the hill and test it before I need it on Wednesday.
John Sawicky

easymoney

did you put a little grease on the crankshaft where the points ride? if the crank is dry the points can close up from the contact point wearing.

r.man

I have seen one that had the cam lobe either broken or wore round. I put an electronic ignition kit on it, ran fine.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: easymoney on June 03, 2016, 11:02:35 AM
did you put a little grease on the crankshaft where the points ride? if the crank is dry the points can close up from the contact point wearing.

I didn't add any (doh!) but it was greasy looking.  There is a square push rod of sorts that contacts the cam down a hole.  The points ride on top of that.  This is a really old B&S - I used to repair lawnmowers as a kid, eons ago, and never saw a B&S like this one.

It is running great now so we'll see how long that lasts.

Quote from: r.man on June 03, 2016, 12:02:28 PM
I have seen one that had the cam lobe either broken or wore round. I put an electronic ignition kit on it, ran fine.

Don't think the cam is worn since the push rod is plastic/nylon and I was able to get .020" gap quite easily.  Also, this is what I would call a reverse cam?  Points ride open until the push rod drops to make contact for a moment.  It's been a while since I messed with points but from what I remember, that seems backwards - but it works!
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Well, not exactly a CL find, but a great dumpster dive!  After I finished a quick grocery store stop, I drove around the back as it is an easy exit from the parking lot.  There was a big dumpster with a odd aluminum shelving unit sticking out of the top, so I stopped.  Under it was a Macro Bin - large plastic bin that are 4'x4' and this one looks like it will hold about 1/2 yard of material.  The thing is in excellent shape.  While I was pulling that out, this was sitting under it:

Ever since I have been watching @jimdad07 videos, I've been wanting one for when I start handling my timbers (next spring).

It was a bit dirtier at the time, covered in greasy dirt.  This is what was wrong with it, the other half was missing:

I made a new pin out of some SS I had laying around.  That is the new pin on the top:

I couldn't figure out how to get the linkage apart so YouTube to the rescue.  Also learned how it is suppose to work and how to adjust it.  Works like new.  I found a place to buy a new pin ($11.00), but where's the fun in that! ;)
John Sawicky

btulloh

Outstanding.  Great rescue.  It's hard to believe what people throw away.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!