iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's junkyard find.

Started by Kbeitz, January 09, 2017, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

We had one stuck like that a few years back, a Ford 4000 industrial backhoe retrieved it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

starmac

Mud is not even the floorboards yet, much less the seat, are you sure it is stuck?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kwill

2 years ago up in north Dakota where I was working.

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Darrel

Hey K, my FIL did that with his Cat D4.  He tied his Jeep to a tree and pulled it out with the PTO winch.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

brianJ

You guys are  triggering my mud PTSD  I am having flash backs to the time I stepped out of the 8920 and about one yard away was an intake  fish skeleton.   It was helpful that mud had a clay bottom to it.    Heck I could leave all four wheels spinning go have lunch and come back with nothing changed.

And speak about mud season?  I have seen it in each of the 12 months.   Yes thats right there are years we have a week or more of mud in each month all year.   Come March it will spit snow every third day the other two will be in the mid or high 30's.   Yeah beautiful that.  Warm enough to make endless mud but not warm enough to get that snow gone and dried out.   Not that it matters because more snow/sleet is never more than tweo days away.   

Does that sound traumatized?

Southside

I don't have pictures of it because it was in the days of the bag phone, but I have been to a processor that was stuck in a cedar swamp and the only thing above ground level was the cutting head.  It took a massive - 200' across maybe? excavation and something like 20 loads of logs to crib that thing out of there.  There was serious talk of leaving it and just removing the head, it was that bad. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Al_Smith

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 18, 2018, 01:59:49 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on February 18, 2018, 01:29:29 PM
In this portion of Ohio mud will be the flavor of the day about mid March and last to mid,late April .Maybe longer .This is world class mud ,nothing whimpy about it .If it's possible to get any thing stuck in it,I've about done it all .However I've gotten  pretty good at retrieving stuff stuck in the stuff which I've learned to detest with a passion . >:(

Sometimes I could use you around....

I had a D4 Cat in that deep once ,dumb me .That one took another dozer and a 3/4 ton wrecker with a 6 part line and two days to get out .

Al_Smith

A number of years ago I spent a winter of discontent working on 42 miles of 20" high pressure gas line .It went from an area known as the great black swamp in NW Ohio .
Welded pipeline construction of Rosebud Mich had the contract .They had a D6 Cat swamp tractor with 36" pads and a long under carriage that would walk over mud you'd sink to your knees in .However the D8 side booms and Cat 245 excavators would not .
  Most of work was done in dead of winter which just happened to be a cold one with night temps often 20 below .Two feet of frozen tundra the 245 Cats went  through as if it were butter .The machinery was never shut off .The big crawlers  carried a couple hundred gallons of fuel .It was the spring thaw before they ran into trouble .
  It was interesting .They used the D6 swamper to clear about a mile and a half of snow ahead of the spread so it could freeze up and hold the side booms .I was only installing the electrical gauging etc not working on the line itself .42 miles in 42 days .Pipeliners are a different breed of cat for sure

Al_Smith

In the previous post I mentioned the great black swamp which starts about 3 miles to the north of were I'm typing this post .It was cleared  and drained and is now some of the richest farm land in the USA .Prior to that it grew some of the largest oak trees ever grown on this planet of which only a few survive to this day .
  They talk of digging down 12 feet and uncovering logs that sank building the early roads through that quagmire .Now that's mud .It took about enough clay tile to circle the globe several times and enough drainage ditches to equate to the Panama canal to get-er- done .Imagine that ,mules and slip scoops . :o

Kbeitz

I got it home... Looks like only one axle needs attention...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

paul case

A friend of mine logged for me for quite a while with one the same model as yours. Man that thing would lift a lot. Logs that made my tractor struggle and he just loaded them rite up.

I would say that you probably did just fine and the repairs will not be that expensive. If you dont like it once you have used it you can probably sell it for a profit.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kbeitz

Quote from: paul case on February 21, 2018, 06:43:27 PMwould say that you probably did just fine and the repairs will not be that expensive. If you dont like it once you have used it you can probably sell it for a profit.

Parts priced out needed is #170.00 so far. I would like to add to that a $100.00 seat and a $100.00 new starter.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

Here's my score for this week. I know, not as cool as a bobcat.

This thing scares me. It's bigger than me. It broke the arm of the last guy that tried to use it and OSHA gave the outfit that dumped it the ultimatum, dump it or get fined and dump it anyway. So they dumped it.ii
1992 LT40HD

Magicman

Before I even read the specs, I said to myself; "that thing will hurttt youuu !!!  :o 

It needs a pipe coming out of the other side so it can hurt two people at the same time.  :-X  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

:D Yes, there is a place to screw in a length of 3/4" pipe opposite the handle.
1992 LT40HD

Kbeitz

I got one like that that take a pull of the trigger to start it and another pull to shut it down. So if it gets away from you it keeps on going... I snapped a one inch drill bit off with this drill.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

I have a couple of them, they will keep you on your toes, and I rarely use them anymore.

Kbeitze, I never even seen a set up like that on a drill, I have had side grinders that had on off switches, they were down right dangerous. I had a dog attack one while I was under a semi trailer and knocked it out of my hands, it is amazing how fast a 9 in grinder can run around cutting everything init's path, including my torch hoses.

Peter Drouin

Good score, That will be handy, Just have to be smarter than the tool to not hurt yourself with it. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

You want to see some impressive torque try one of those new 20V DeWalt drills. I am 6'1, 240lbs and it kept ripping out of my hands when the hole saw grabbed. Had to clutch it down, amazing power. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

starmac

Southside, mine is milwaukii, but same story. What I did not know, is when the battery dies, you can not turn the drill, or at least it is very hard. Mine bound up and mashed my hand and the battery died right there, I had to get somebody to bring me another battery to get lose. I could not believe it.

Kbeitz

This is the one that scares me. It has not gotten away from me yet but at only 550RPM I don't want to be around it if it comes loose...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 23, 2018, 04:58:09 PM
I got one like that that take a pull of the trigger to start it and another pull to shut it down. So if it gets away from you it keeps on going... I snapped a one inch drill bit off with this drill.

That looks like a old Black and Decker with a double set trigger .I have a half inch in that style and it is powerful and dangerous .

Al_Smith

A mag drill has a lot of moxy for sure .A concrete core drill has even more .That one if you have at sense you set concrete anchors to hold it .I never trusted the suction thing 

Ianab

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 24, 2018, 07:36:01 PMThat looks like a old Black and Decker with a double set trigger .I have a half inch in that style and it is powerful and dangerous .

I've got one like that, it's got a regular trigger, but also has a lock button to hold it on. Luckily I also have the optional Drill Press that it clamps into, which is even heavier built. It basically stays in the drill press. :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Darrel

I might sell mine and make the buyer sign a waiver. 
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!