iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snowmobiling Upstate NY

Started by Crusarius, December 06, 2017, 12:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

back when I started riding it wasn't bad. most of the time they just checked to make sure you were legal. but unfortunately since it has been abused and to many fatal accidents they cracked down on it pretty bad.

I don't know if it counts on your driving record or not but I think I heard it does.

starmac

I don't know for sure, but I bet my old sled doesn't run much over 25 to start with.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Grip n rip makes the kit. I have one but never installed it.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

snowstorm

they raced in the iron dog in alaska

Crusarius

I looked at the reinforcing. I think I would prefer the cross member to fail that redirect the impact to the tunnel. the cross member is an easy job compared to the tunnel. I would have had it all done if I had the right rivets in stock. Hopefully they will come today or tomorrow.

Should be good to go this weekend.

petefrom bearswamp

dodged the bullet once on a straight section of plowed rd with a curve at the end several years ago.
Sled was new and i opened her up on the straight section, wont say how fast.
Slowed down for the corner and there was the ranger on the other sid eof the curve. just checked for registration but he must have heard me comin.
Hope to head north tomorrow morning for a few days
They have some new snow now.
More expected tomorrow.
Im in 2 facebook groups that update conditions often.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Crusarius

I don't facebook.

But I should be getting my rivets today. So hopefully be back in business for this weekend. If we get the 5-8" they are calling for tomorrow I may be lucky enough to do some local testing before I drive all the way up there and find I missed something.

Crusarius

ok I am bummed now :( working on putting sled together. I needed some 1/4" rivets to fill the holes that got wallowed out and my rivet gun only goes up to 3/16" :(

Anybody close by have a 1/4" gun? of course I only need it for 3 or 4 rivets and I can't use bolts there and have the plastic still fit right :(

coxy

use big zip ties  :D sorry couldn't help my self  :) how about a carriage bolt 

starmac

Crusarius if you have to buy or rent one, pay close attention to how much room you have where the rivits are needed. I have two, the reason being is that a straight one will not fit in some places as an angled one and visa versa, because of the log handles.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Crusarius

yea. the zipties didn't work. carriage bolts wouldn't work but talking to my dad on the phone he asked why not use button head bolts. So I used my button head and found my button head bolts. Got it all back together. Tomorrow will be the test drive since I have to move the mill out of the garage again to get the sled out.

Crusarius

Just got back in from testing the sled. I decided to plow while I was at it so I fixed the mouse chewed wire on the UTV and plowed in the rain. Used the tractor to scrape around the house cause it always turns into a solid sheet of ice.

Sled felt awesome. I am soooo ready for a trip. Who's in?

MartyParsons

Daikers
Hello,
  Just got back from Inlet. First day, to Indian Lake   

stud went through the heat exchange coming from Long Lake. Pulled the wife back to motel about 20 miles. Miscommunication and she and the sled flipped while I was pulling her.

Second day different sled no studs she flipped again on a turn very icy Big Moose Road on the way to Stillwater  and Brantingham ( Pine Tree Inn) . Lost my sled after that flip. All good no one injured.  :o
Lots of snow.
Thursday talked to a WM owner in Harrisville Rod and Gun club did not know about the Forestry Forum, he does now. LOL

Mileage does not matter but looked like about 450+ miles from Tuesday through Friday. Trails were good to excellent. Need a windshield and a heat exchange weld job, maybe a track. All part of the experience.
I have some pictures if you are interested.

Now back to work.  smiley_whip
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

sandhills

Yes, interested of course.   :)

Crusarius

coxy

we always put JB weld on them works good and don't have to take every thing apart

petefrom bearswamp

didnt go north as planned but did a nice 100 miler on Saturday here in CNY.
Trails mostly good to excellent and did a couple of miles on fresh powder on a pipeline with a couple of steep hills, lots of fun.
Hope to head north thursday, not supposed to be too good that day but better for fri and sat.
Marty thanks for the pics and sorry to hear of your misfortunes, but as you said, sure is part of the experience.
Was there much traffic?
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Crusarius

I am contemplating a trip up this weekend. But with the weather forecast I am not sure its a good idea.

Trails will probably be either slush or frozen tracks. That is never fun to ride on.

moosehunter

Finally got to ride last Thursday,  went about 60 miles. Developed a migraine at about 30 miles. Wondered if I would make it home. My right eye was watering so bad from the migraine I had trouble seeing. My lovely bride had Friday off so we went together , rode about 50 to lunch and 40 miles back. No headache!  Good ride. Saturday the snow started melting. It's all gone now. 150 miles in three years,  sometimes I wonder why we keep the machines.  Oh well at least we don't have to feed and water them when we aren't using them!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Crusarius

I been very tempted to pull the drivetrain out of my sled and build a crazy fun side by side. Then as I was planning on doing that I had one of the best rides of my life.

It is very hard sometimes. Of course now that I have the sled all fixed and ready to go the season is over :(

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Crusarius on February 09, 2018, 04:05:14 PM
ok I am bummed now :( working on putting sled together. I needed some 1/4" rivets to fill the holes that got wallowed out and my rivet gun only goes up to 3/16" :(

Anybody close by have a 1/4" gun? of course I only need it for 3 or 4 rivets and I can't use bolts there and have the plastic still fit right :(
You can buy 1/4" rivets that has a pin sticking out of the top. You just drop the rivet in the hole and hit the top with a hammer to drive the pin down. Used in the trucking industry. Very good rivets. No gun needed.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

petefrom bearswamp

Saw parts if the vid a few days ago but not the whole thing.
I'll bet this idiot will be right back at it too.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

snowstorm

i took the day off and went snowmobiling today. i could have ridden from home plenty of snow. instead unloaded in newport and went up the rail bed to greenvile. clear blue sky and cold. quite a lot of sleds out. they are still dragging trails so it was pretty good going. 125 miles round trip

Crusarius

that sounds like a great day. Hmmm wonder if I should make a trip this weekend? maybe not. I want to get my mill done

Thank You Sponsors!