Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Telemarketers?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Telemarketers?
« on: January 25, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »
How does telemarketers get your name and address along with your cell phone number, plus at least some idea of what you do for a living?

I just had a call from one in Southern California, that was going to send me a free pair of the best leather gloves money could buy, he did need my hand size, so he didn't already know everything.
He was also sending me a new pair of safety glasses, but needed to know if I wanted clear or yellow tint.
Then a sample of the very best all American made hand cleaner, it took everything off except for skin and fingernails, again he needed to know if I preffered cream or grit.
Along with the free samples and free catalogue a miracle drill bit would be sent with a 30 day trial and a handshake agreement to pay a very low cost of 339 bucks for them at the end of the 30 days.

I told him I would like to see the catalogue, but didn't need the other stuff, several times, finally I told him whatever he did, DO NOT SEND ME THE DRILL BITS at all, he would not be getting any payment for them. He still kept insisting I would love them and finally said they came with the catalogue. At this point I said do not send me the catalogue either then and he hung up. WOW he finally got it. lol

My question is, my number has a New Mexico area code, I have had this number since I first got a cell phone so have never changed it.
Not only did he have my name along with the cell phone number, he had my Alaska address, if you think about that it is kind of scary, that folks can easily readily get this info.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
Re: Telemarketers?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 05:24:14 PM »
Yes, that is disturbing.

I keep getting calls to cut my credit card rate in half or to sell me solar power (I already have some).  I don't carry a balance on my cards so it don't matter to me what the rate is.  So, I push the button to get a real person (to tie them up a bit) and start to ask them to put me on the do not call list.  I don't even get that out of my mouth and they hang up on me.  Some nerve they got! ;) :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 54' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:48:38 PM »
Sounds exactly like Ace Industrial. They are tenacious!
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
Cooks Cat Claw & Dual tooth setter
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:56:38 PM »
I didn't understand the name of the company, The drill bits he was pushing was Minnesota twist brand, seen at truck shows and the like.

I kept him on the line for 20 minutes or so, before telling him not to even send me his catalogue, sooooo maybe he will not be calling me back.
It really seemed like he didn't want to tell me where his company was located, but finally told me riverside Cali, but said they had warehouses all over the company. I ask if he had one in Alaska and the answer was no, so I ask about shipping and it was ups, he didn't like the fact that I didn't deal with anybody that only used ups for shipping either.

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:08:54 PM »
Do you buy and sell on craigslist.  Seems like that's half of the scammers objectives...

"Yeah, I really want it, just send me your address and I'll be there in 30 minutes."   *****no show*****
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 09:17:13 PM »
He He, no I have never sold anything on craigslist. I have bought off of it, but I know for sure my address was never mentioned, most times my name wouldn't even be mentioned. I rarely even buy anything by ordering it, unless going through a local vendor.

Offline Runningalucas

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 09:52:36 PM »
Most telemarketers use 'lead lists', you can buy any variety known to man; whether a phone, mailing, emailing, or any other form of contact.  They usually have varying rates.  Also, telemarketers are usually from companies based in location X, but selling to all points available; a lot of people don't like buying anything out of state, hence why the marketers don't like saying they're from out of state. 

Now as far as did you actually knowingly fill out a questionnaire for the telemarketers company?  Not necessary, almost any company asking you questions ends up selling that very information. 

Corporate America can be very toxic without any boundaries. 

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 10:12:55 PM »
LOL. I do not do questionares, unless at the doctors office. I know Lowes and Home depo and the like has them and for some reason are always asking for a phone number, but they don't get it. I do have a discount card for O-reillys they could have possibly gotten the info from.

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 12:29:15 AM »
How does telemarketers get your name and address along with your cell phone number, plus at least some idea of what you do for a living?

There are bits and pieces of unconnected information about you all over the web. Some of it you provided without knowing that you did. There are businesses that collect all the information they can, and then try to connect the various pieces together under your name. Then they sell their database to telemarketers (actually, to any marketer who is prepared to pay).

Social media provides a wealth of data about its members. Some people have the silly idea that just because they flagged something as "private", it actually is.

Do you belong to a club? Information about you is probably on line somewhere.

Were you interviewed by a newspaper? Yep, it's probably on line.

Even when an old article about you is no longer available, information about it may show up on a Google listing. And speaking of Google ... if you have different types of accounts (YouTube, gmail, etc), everything you look at or search for will be compiled in one place. All those accounts are tied together behind the scenes.

Don't forget the Forestry Forum. There's more stuff about you there than you might realize.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 01:50:00 AM »
No clubs, this forum and 3 more, one of which I have been inactive on for several years, and have never given my phone number to the forums, other than to a few members.  no social media, other than the forums. The only place that I can think of that I have given my name, address and phone #  would be Oriellys. Other parts places have my number, but not my address. Most telemarketers that call assume I am in New Mexico, because of the number, this guy had my address too.

Offline MikeON

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 07:24:27 AM »
Lately, the telemarketers have been hijacking legitimate caller ID information.  So the phone rings and the the caller ID shows a local business or individual.  I answer and get a recording or a telemarketer trying to sell me a hearing aid or credit card or something.  Several times the caller ID showed the local hospital.  I called back the number shown and it was indeed the radiology department at the hospital, but they hadn't called me. 
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »
What's up with the Google listings calls. Some days I get 5 calls. Saying I need to update my Google listing. Sounds like a scam to me

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »
Call block is your friend.  I have it on my answering machine.  It takes about a week until the call bots no longer call.

For the spoofing, PA Legislature has a bill that would make the first offense cost $2,500 and some jail time, and the second one will double.  But, how will they enforce it?  And, can they only enforce it on calls made in PA?

I've now made it a rule not to answer the phone unless it's a number I recognize.  Else it goes to the recorder.  Chronic nuisance calls get blocked.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline DMcCoy

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 08:19:48 AM »
There are many personal search engines.  Some are just click baiters while others are creepy in what they have.  I have heard that any answer, no matter how benign, gets entered into a database.

I have asked them to remove my name which only seemed to make matters worse.
I subscribed to the nation wide do not call list -pointless.
I figured I would not pick up and that would wear them out eventually, been going on for 2 years like this and no slow down. :-[

I have a new tactic which is distasteful but seems to be working.  I figured while they are keeping data on me they must also have their own internal "do not call list" made up with hostile and nasty people.  They get paid by the hour and why ruin your own day calling someone who will wack you up the side of the head with a 2x4- verbally, and I mean nasty!  I bet it has cancelled 80-90% of my BS phone calls in just 2 weeks.
 Got them! ;)

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 08:38:14 AM »
I posted something and came back and deleted it... I should have done
more research before I posted it...

The information is false (888) 382-1222 Email Scam Ė A chain email is being circulated once again (this email has circulated in the past), prompting people to call the governmentís Do Not Call list (which is legitimate, but if youíve already done it unnecessary)
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 11:48:56 PM »
Lately, the telemarketers have been hijacking legitimate caller ID information.  So the phone rings and the the caller ID shows a local business or individual.  ...

Last year I had a call from my wife's cell phone. She only uses the phone for emergency calls -- most of the time it's switched off. So was I worried? Nope, she was sitting on the other side of the room and her phone was off  :D. Later the same day my daughter called our house and said, "Was Mom trying to call me earlier today?"  :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 10:59:25 PM »
I have two phone numbers and two email addresses. Whenever Im searching/buying/whatever on a website, even this site, I give the"useless" email address and the phone number I hardly ever use. So far it has worked as my business email and my cellphone dont get telemarketers but the useless email addy and my home phone with ringer turned off  gets many calls/emails per day from telemarketers. I have a facebook account and they constantly want my cell number. Do not install the facebook app on your phone. If you need to do that from your phone, just do it thru google and sign in that way. They will want you to install the app but dont. A friend had all his business contacts in his phone harrassed somehow through the facebook app..hackers are smart and its just a matter of time before I get bombed but so far so good.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline East ky logging

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 09:17:37 AM »
I get the calls all the time showing up as a local cell phone number. Blocking them doesnít help because they always call from a different number. After reading here about them hijacking your number I guess thatís what happened to mine a couple weeks ago. I was working on the dozer and my phone was laying on the tailgate and hadnít been touched in several hours when it rang and a man said he had just missed my call and was seeing what I wanted. He had my number on his phone so no doubt someone had called from that number it just wasnít me.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cell phones numbers and telemarketers

Started by Jim_Rogers on General Board

20 Replies
Last post October 24, 2005, 12:14:34 PM
by sprucebunny