Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Great buy  (Read 954 times)

Offline rjwoelk

• Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
Great buy
« on: February 04, 2018, 08:15:17 PM »
 Got a drafting table and a mutoh drafting arm yesterday.
The gentlemen wanted 60 dollars. Gave him 10 extra to drop it off .
we all went a way very happy
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Great buy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 08:27:12 PM »
Nice buy
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 12:07:34 AM »
I have a big one similar, arm and all, no one interested in it, so I use to show stuff.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline rjwoelk

• Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:28:19 AM »
The building inspector needs a set of plans . I am not about to have them done out of house.  I built the model . Now just need to do the plans with the proper changes and all the dimensions it is a timber framed firewood processing shed.17x36

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline tree-farmer

• Hillbilly in the wild
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 04:49:07 AM »
Nice model! Did you do the joints to scale or are they glued / nailed. Have thought about similar model to better understand joinery. Good winter project.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Offline Dakota

• Swing'en in South Dakota
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 08:58:50 AM »
Before I built my cabin, I built a scale model of it.  When it came time to get the building permit, I took some good pictures of the model and  carefully labeled  everything with timber sizes etc.  I put a piece of Plexiglas over a section of the floor to show the joists.   I got my permit.  It saved a lot of drawing.

Dave Rinker

Offline Josef

• Full Member x2
  • just horsin' around
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 11:01:47 AM »
Models are a good way to coordinate the vision of a project with the reality of its form. I've always found them a good way to add another level of checks to my projects revealing potential construction conflicts, you know, that legendary engineer vs real life conundrum. This model is of the house were building in Georgia, its a hybrid post and beam that I'm building in my shop in PA and transporting to Georgia and erecting. While I was waiting for my permit review I sent pics of the model, the inspectors found it helpful in their review and my permits were issued. Now the work begins.

Joe

In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »
That's a big slab you are building on! Going to take a Jake the Customsawyer sized slabber! :D
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »
Wow, those are awesome models.
Just wanted to mention that here and in many states, don't know anything about Canada, ag structures are exempt from inspections and plan review. Forestry related activities are ag. We go in, sign an affidavit that states it is for a legitimate ag use, visit the zoning department and pick up a permit. They don't care for that law so you have to know when you go in.

Offline Josef

• Full Member x2
  • just horsin' around
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 06:03:32 PM »
Raider Bill, if your comment was about my model, your right. The house proper is actually only 1400 sq ft but it's surrounded by a 1600 sq ft porch. Doing the drawings on my old (high school) drawing board table was a real pleasure, brought back a lot of "skills" I haven't used in years. I tried to give it away for years but, like Texas Ranger, no takers. Good thing for me, turns out I needed it at least one more time. It was a great winter project. My wife said if I can build the house as quick as the model she'll be a very happy wife, guess I'll have to settle for just moderately happy again.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Offline rjwoelk

• Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 10:13:11 PM »
Wow, those are awesome models.
Just wanted to mention that here and in many states, don't know anything about Canada, ag structures are exempt from inspections and plan review. Forestry related activities are ag. We go in, sign an affidavit that states it is for a legitimate ag use, visit the zoning department and pick up a permit. They don't care for that law so you have to know when you go in.
Don we used to be able to pay a permit supply a drawing with distances from property lines and go at it, and build any building non resident. Now ag does need to be inspected but not engineered unless the inspectoe requires it due to size.  The inspector knows nothing about timber frame. He said in his opinion its all over built so go ahead.

Offline rjwoelk

• Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 11:45:29 PM »
Quote from: tree-farmer link=topic=99958.msg1548201#msg1548201
date=1517824147

Nice model! Did you do the joints to scale or are they glued / nailed. Have thought about similar model to better understand joinery. Good winter project.
No i just cut glued and nailed. Found out how good it feels to get one in the finger.
My good wife suggested to just take the model to him and say. Here are the plans.
As a saying goes a pic is worth a thousand words.
Then the model should be worth a thousand pics  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
My Great Great Grandmother's Swedish Pancakes

Started by oldsaw on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

5 Replies
Last post December 22, 2010, 12:38:25 PM
by 1938farmall
xx
Great Dealers=Great Deals

Started by Corley5 on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 01:10:33 PM
by Corley5
xx
Barn tour, and great room photos------nice great room.......

Started by Jim_Rogers on Timber Framing/Log construction

12 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 01:37:54 PM
by Jim_Rogers
xx
A great day with some great folks......

Started by Burlkraft on General Board

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 04:13:30 PM
by beenthere