iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most valuable fence post I've ever sawn!

Started by Bibbyman, July 13, 2005, 06:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Well maybe...

You just need some place to nail a porcalian insulator for a hot fence.  Ah!  Here's a nice spot right here on this walnut tree.

A little closer look.

This 15"x9' butt cut walnut log has at least one porcelain insulator grown over.  I'm going to get out the metal detector and see if I can find any other nails.  Not any to hopeful as there was no nail in this one.  It was either pulled or rusted away..

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

oldsaw

Nails remain in walnut as pretty as the day they were put in, with only the black coating getting in the way of that perfect "new from the hardware store" shine.  They don't rust, they don't get eaten away...I actually think they grow bigger like the tree itself.

Somehow, I intend to prove that walnuts are magnetic, and will suck any loose nail or other tramp metal in under the cover of night.

If there was only one nail in a county, the first place I would look would be the prettiest, biggest walnut in the county.  I'm betting I would find it...fast.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

woodmills1

them insulators aint forgiving like nails might be are they? :P

doing a smal job for a friend today at short money I found some nice 10 pennies.  DanG the nice sharp set blade cuts very slow after 3 nails. :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bibbyman

Yep!  That blade was a goner.  I got it stopped as soon as I heard the squeal but half the tooth height was already gone. :'(  That's the way it goes some days.

Sawed up about 3mbf of cherry last week and hit about a dozen rifle bullets. Some jacketed hunting type and some were round balls like buckshot or from a muzzle loader.   At least they didn't destroy any blades.
Sawing since '94

Jason_WI

Cherry trees make a perfect backstop for target practice :D :D :D

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Bibbyman

Maybe they were shooting at the elephants that had painted their toenails red and were hiding in the cherry tree.  ???
Sawing since '94

ohsoloco

I always get the cherry logs that have been turned into a carpenter ant buffet  :(

Bibby, that's usually what I do too...wait until I hit something and then get out the metal detector  ::) :D

Bibbyman

We scan any that look suspect. But this one gave no clue.  I didn't detect any more iron in it.  But the nail was gone out of this insulator so it wouldn't have picked it up anyway.  We'll dig the insulator out,  put on a blade that's about used up, and try it again.  If it were pretty much junk,  we'd just scrap it.
Sawing since '94

mike_van

I had an oak log years ago, a nice one - 24" x 12' -  a few nails sticking out. Out came the detector, it would not stop beeping - After chopping out 6 -8 nails, still no end. I threw it in the fire wood pile, when I split it up, the entire log was blue - Nicked a few with the chainsaw, pulled out some on the splitter wedge,  just loaded.  Small wonder it was at the dump. got it for free.  It did heat well though.  :)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

woodmills1

wait till ya get one that had a whack of boards nailed to it like a ladder. :o  but nothing still comes close to the screwdiver that the kids must have hammered into the neighbors spruce.  chrome plated and hardened, aint seen nothin like it still :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

This morning I chiped out the rest of the insulator and took a deeper cut.  Didn't hint anything else in the log.  8)
Sawing since '94

Larry

I found something even worse than insulators.  When Osmose inspects utility poles for deterioration  they drill a 3/8" hole...ya guessed it they broke off the drill bit and I found it for them. :o
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

oldsaw

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Cedarman

When you hit a nail, you think, "I can salvage this blade." You spend time setting and sharpening and maybe it is ok and maybe it is not. Time wise, it may be more expensive then just throwing the blade away.

BUT, when you hit an insulator, all the decision making about saving the blade is easy!!
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

rl

I' made an attemt to cut one for a customer also.  no better luck than you . i got twenty dollars i charge for ruining a blade though suck though    have fun     rl   
rl

woodman

Ri you lost money by only charging 20.00 for a blade, you paid shipping to get it and shipping to get a new one plus time lost next time charge 30.00 just to beake even, Ido plus blade life and you can not resharpen it to use it. I get 4 to 5 sharpinings out of a blade or about 3 to 4 thousand board feet a blade.

Or maby it was on the 5th sharping and it's ok
                      But only yoy will know.
Jim Cripanuk

Frickman

Last Thursday a friend asked me to look at a walnut tree he had just cut down behind his home, a hundred-plus year old farmhouse. He said he had plans of making a mantle piece out of it. When I arrived he was sitting on a log that grew not more than ten feet from his house. I told him that I don't saw yard trees because of metal. He said that he checked, there wasn't any metal in this tree. About two inches from where his foot rested was a huge fence staple. He asked what he could with the log now? It will split into firewood easy, as it was so hollow it looked like a drain pipe.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!