iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling a 40 inch white oak in NE Georgia

Started by WRT, October 14, 2010, 06:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WRT

Our old barn fell down last week and a 40 inch or so white oak 40 yards away needs to come down...  We hate to turn the still standing oak into firewood.  We would love to mill it and use it when we rebuild the barn/apt, but don't know how to go about it.   It appears we may need someone with a chainsaw and a swingblade portable saw.   Any ideas out there?    We're in NE Georgia.

Rhett

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF, glad to have you WRT.   8)

I would help you out if you lived a little closer.  Still might if you have a good trout stream nearby ;)

Any pictures of the tree?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

fishpharmer

Most likely you will need to hire a tree service to fell the white oak.  Then a sawyer will come in and mill the log/logs.

Teenswinger may be interested.  In the forum extras area you can "find a sawyer." 

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

scsmith42

By all means mill it with a swinger, and quartersaw as much as you can (double cut on the swinger).  Wide plank QSO is near impossible to find and spectacular wood when milled.

Wish that I were closer, but it's not cost effective for me to drive 7 hours for a job.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

okie

I cut down several white oaks like that on my land, and had high hopes. I seem to have an ant problem as every one of them had an infestation. every oak I cut on the hill that was more than 16"dbh or so had problems  :'(. I hope you don't run into the same problem. I really like white oak lumber ;)
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!