iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 025 kill switch

Started by outdoortype, April 29, 2005, 09:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoortype

My 025 wouldn't cut off today even after the master control lever was in the off position.  I'm assuming it's a bad kill switch.  Does anyone know what this will cost to replace?  I plan on repairing it myself.  Also, the only other way that I know to stop the engine is by choking it.  Does this cause any problems or unneccesary wear?  I don't think my local Stihl dealer is open tomorrow and I wanted to finish cutting this weekend.  If I  were to replace this saw, which would be a better choice: another MS250 or a Husky 55?  I plan on using a 16" bar for limbing & cutting up to 12" oak maybe 1-4 cords a year.  I noticed Husky 55's are still available for decent prices but would it last as long as the Stihl?  Thanks for any info.

StihlDoc

The 025 has a simple shut off mechanism consisting of a formed leaf spring, a ground wire, and the primary short circuit wire coming from the ignition coil. Remove the air filter cover and you will see the components. Check to make sure the wires are intact and have no breaks. It should be an easy fix and it probably has a broken wire or bad connection at the formed spring were it contacts the master control lever.

Don_N6CRV

Hello, you might check and make sure the wire did not just come off of the master  control. Mine did once and it would not shut off. All the master control does is gound the wire in the off setting. Should be a easy fix. You might even think about just adding a toggle switch as a last resort.
Don

fishhuntcutwood

To answer your attached question about shutting off with choke, I've never known it to be a problem.  Many, many guys do that on older saws with bad switches.  stihltech, StihlDoc, your thoughts...

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

StihlDoc

I do not recommend shutting off the 025 with the choke due to safety reasons. When you activate the choke on the 025 you also activate the part throttle lock which can cause the chain to rotate unexpectedly, possibly causing injury to the user or bystanders.

fishhuntcutwood

You know StihlDoc, you're right.  I was thinking along the lines of something like an 056 where the switches are separate, which I have, and do shut down with the choke.   

Thanks for setting that straight.  My bad.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Thank You Sponsors!