iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fence posts

Started by chipandcharm, February 05, 2018, 08:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Cedar closet lining is juniperus virginiana, eastern redcedar
who knows, I was under the impression some of those phone poles might be atlantic white-cedar, Chamaecyparis thyoides. Sort of like topics about poplar leave me wondering what they are talking about :)

SwampDonkey

We wasn't talking cedar lined closets though. ;) Posts, poles and cabin logs. And any white cedar companies I have come across up this way and Ontario are using Thuja o and their poles are Thuja p. Ward cabin uses Thuja o. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Where you all lost me in common names was talking about red cedar posts for closet lining above, reread post 21. I was thinking WRC isn't closet lining in my world and ERC isn't a phone pole, ain't got a clue what these boys are talking about :D

My only point here is when you use common names that span 2 or more species, only you really know what you're talking about.

moodnacreek

I love common names for trees and waterfowl but the one that gets me is calling Atlantic white cedar juniper. If you were raised with these very incorrect names, well that's the way it is and I'm no different in my region .

Don P

Yup, I grew up with that being juniper siding. It all works fine within that region but it sure starts to fall apart when we are talking outside of our area. I was working up near the great lakes and a supplier was talking about white cedar, which to me was that "juniper", atlantic white-cedar. He was talking about northern white-cedar... not a big deal because we weren't talking about anything structural, either was fine for those railings. When the confusion is about structural parts it can be a real problem. Although if I were to put WRC in a closet here instead of ERC I would probably be replacing it the next week. Never hurts to be clear  :)

SwampDonkey

You could, but it would not be aromatic red cedar. ;D :D But wait a minute here, western red cedar is aromatic to, just not the same smell. I've been in buildings out their on the west coast made with the stuff or trim and it does have an aroma. :)

Reading that post 21. I couldn't imagine an eastern red cedar for a 90 foot tall telephone pole to begin with. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

When I put an addition on my house in order to match the original design I used fletch cut cedar on the gable ends .This stuff dates back to the 70's,not so easy to find these days .My lumber yard ordered it from a specialty company in Burnaby BC .I wasn't cheap either .Glad I only needed 2 square .

Thank You Sponsors!