iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just an average day sawing urban lumber

Started by FarmingSawyer, November 23, 2014, 08:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmingSawyer

I winched most of the pine out from behind the house yesterday....but was kicking myself as this would have been the perfect cul-de-sac in the right town to get a TON of press for using one of my horses to twitch the logs out.....and it would have been faster and I could have billed more, cause makin hay ain't cheap.....

But I couldn't mill yesterday, so I stored the logs off the roadway and pulled them out this morning with the 'burban;

Then I blocked off one of the roads around a weird little island, and parked the mill on a large tarp.....

And set up to mill:

Being right downtown central with a lot of traffic was odd....for a quiet neighborhood.....but at least 2 people stopped by to talk, and one might lead to a job nearby milling up some large pieces of locust! I love doing this work!!! 8)
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

drobertson

this is how it gets started!  looks like great weather!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

It looks & sounds like you met the challenge quite nicely.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on November 23, 2014, 10:14:44 PM
But where is the sawdust?
I hadn't started sawing yet when I took the photo....by the end of the day the tarp full of sawdust made clean-up easy, but it took 3 of us to drag that sucka 50 yards down the road and dump it out in the woods where I had dragged some of the logs out.....

backwoods sawyer

Drug out, milled and cleaned up. Not a bad day

I went to using old billboard tarps to lay down under the mill, lot more rugged when it comes to dragging sawdust off, tie a rope around a couple corners and use the truck to drag off ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

goose63

You did a nice job might lead to more jobs for you.I hang a bucket from the shoot it helps a lot

then dump it in the bucket on the tractor

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

dboyt

Looks like a nice day's work.  I use the bucket technique, as well.  Works great and gives the customer something to do, if he/she wants to help.  I've got a feeling you'll be doing more of that kind of work, and will have other opportunities to show off your horses.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: thecfarm on November 24, 2014, 09:00:40 AM
Looks good. What town you sawing in??

Sawing right on the Camden/Rockport town line....The Gold Coast......

FarmingSawyer

Finished the job in a monsoon today....just in to wring out before heading to the diner for lunch with the client and to get paid......

Setup and ready to mill, day2:

Some Sawdust for Backwoods:

Finishing and getting ready to pull out in a monsoon.....

Move along....nothing to see here.....

YellowHammer

Looks good, nothing better than having some fun AND making some cash
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!