iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

012 stihl

Started by nfp, September 15, 2001, 12:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nfp

does anyone know anything about this saw 012?  i have a 011, will parts interchange? is this a better pro saw than the 011?  thanks nfp

timberbeast

I don't know,  nfp.  I have an 034 and an 038super,  and used to have an 084.  All great saws,  in my opinion.  I don't know about part interchanging,  but any Stihl dealer should be able to tell you.
Where the heck is my axe???

Kevin

All I can add is the even numbered Stihls are suppose to be a better saw than the odd numbered saws.

L. Wakefield

Now that IS odd! :D :D :D- seriously, why would that be? Day of the week on which they were manufactured? Do they have an 013- is it specially bad?   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Kevin

The mid range pro and production Stihls are all even numbered.
The mid range home owner saws are all odd numbered.
What`s the difference you ask?
You`ll need to ask your dealer, I don`t know the answer.
I think they`re all good saws but the pro saws are heavy duty and may take a little more abuse.
Sawbuster[/i]

L. Wakefield

So I'm performing mental calculations (lightning like)- thinking 'even, odd, even, odd'- 51, my saw's a 51- now is that a GOOD saw or is that a BAD saw- and suddenly, the dim leetle lightbulb goes on- 'OH..YEAHH.. it's a HUSQVARNA 51- not a Stihl'...as Rosanna Rosannadanna used to say...'never mind'..thought I was on a roll for a minute there..
                    :D :D      lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Tom

I must be ok then because I have a Husky 61. It is 8 years old and still running like a bandit. ;D

Most of these good-old saws are taken off the market if they don't wear out.  I noticed tonite that the 61 is no longer in the catalogue.

KiwiCharlie

Hi Tom,

There is one exception to that rule that I know of!  The Stihl 038 is a magnificent saw, and can take a huge amount of abuse (not that it should!), and still keep running.  Its been made for over 20 years now, and varies little from the original.
Now thats a saw.  The 090 is heading along the same lines with few changes since '59 (I think).  Oh look, both even numbers!!  I would agree that the even numbered saws tend to be stronger, but then they also cost more!  People rave about the 028 (not made now I beleive) as the best saw Stihl ever made.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Ron Scott

I agree on the 028. I also have an 032 that's still going strong. I guess they don't make it anymore either. Parts are getting harder to get.
~Ron

woodmills1

every time i see a used 028 cheap, i buy it and scavange parts to keep two running. :D  :D i need another right now because only one currently runs.  the other one actually rusted through the gas tank. :-X  i sharpen the little chain on them with a big chain file.  you should see them little saws cut.  ;D  ;D light also.  i have an 038 that continues to hog out wood. now my 009 is just finiky and my 045 is way too heavy, i think i have had it since 1975, and i bought it used.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!