iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hand riving with froe

Started by PineHill4488, March 17, 2016, 11:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineHill4488

A query for the wise men and women on The Forestry Forum, which tactic to use for riving which species?

Are some best at being rived radially?
And others best at being rived tangentially?

Thanks for advice,
Greg
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

robmelby

Greg,
I don't know the answer. I've read a few books by Drew Langsner And he covers riving in depth. He has lists of which specie rives good, but doesn't cover radially or tangentially. I've had good luck with Oak and Ash, but I'm a neophyte when it comes to riving.

Rob M.

woodworker9

It's actually good for both.  I use a froe for perfect, straight grained stock (think quartersawn) and I also will it to split a piece of lumber to a lesser width.  Most North American hardwoods behave well this way, except species with undulating and gnarly grain, like elm, for instance.  Any timber species that doesn't split well isn't going to be one that you're going to want to use a froe for.

I'll split white oak radially, and then take that piece and whack it into smaller sections for chair parts, dowels, pegs, etc.....

Maple, cherry, oaks, honey locust, walnut all work well this way.  The harder the species, the harder they are sometimes to split.  I don't use much hickory in my work, but I have riven it for tool handles, and it goes well.....just a little extra oooooommmph!
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

PineHill4488

Rob and WW9,
Thanks for going down the rabbithole with me. Your comments have helped!

Greg
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

Thank You Sponsors!