iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broken hearth stone, need repair advice

Started by maestro, July 25, 2008, 11:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maestro

Hey all.  We have a raised hearth stone that had a broken/repaired corner on it when we bought the house.  A few months ago someone put enough weight on that corner to break it off again.  I was never happy with the original repair job, looks like someone just glued it back on with cement.  Any ideas aside from calling in a pro to get it put back on?
Thanks!
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

Raider Bill

Can you upload a pix so we can take a look at the problem?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

maestro

I will either later tonight when I get home, or tomorrow!  Thanks!
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

stonebroke

drill it and put some iron rods in it.

Stonebroke

Dave Shepard

Use stainless all-thread, the threads will give the epoxy something to hold onto, and it won't blow apart because of rust. Not sure what the epoxy is, but I've seen it done. Can you remove the stone to repair it? If so, groove the back for the all thread.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rebocardo

I would drill both pieces for small stainless rod and epoxy everything together, after removing the old glue.

timberfaller390

There is a product called gorilla glue that is supposed to adhear to stone and masonary I would use that because you run the risk of fracturing your stone by drilling. It doesn't leave a clean hole like in wood or metal,plus it would be hard to line up properly
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Dave Shepard

I just put in a call to Verne. He said get a good clear epoxy, with at least a 24 hour cure time. It needs to have time to make a bond with the stone. Use brass or stainless all thread. He uses West Systems epoxy, which is high grade, but a good grade from a hobby shop will also work.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!