iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixing old logging photos.

Started by Jeff, January 30, 2013, 06:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have this old collection of original photos that I found in a dusty old 3 ring binder years ago in a junk shop. Some really cool content, but most of the photos have damage. I believe this photo to be of the Lake George and Muskegon Railroad.  It ran from Lake George northwesterly to the Muskegon river near the present village of Temple, the nation's and perhaps the world's first logging railroad. Right here in Clare county Michigan.

Today I decided I would start an attempt to restore the better ones for digital use.  I've been working about an hour on this first one. :) You should be able to click for a slightly larger image.
Before:

After:

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

I can't get over how cool that is!  I wonder if today's structural engineers could envision that!  The restored photo is quite clear.  How did you digitalize and "fix" the photo?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

Basically by painting and cloning with photo shop.  :)

lumberjack48

Looking good Jeff, i wounder many bf in that bridge. It impresses me what they could build back then.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good job Jeff and YES, there is a big difference to me. The 2nd one is very clear. Are you gonna try adding color some where down the line?

If you start getting good at this, I have this old card board box in the attic full of old pictures and I was just wondering........ :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

T Welsh

Very nice Jeff,Now I want to see the rest of the photos ;D. Tim

Jeff

thecfarm

As always a very nice job. They used alot of wood to get alot of wood out of the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Slab Slicer

Didn't even notice the men standing on top of the train car in the original photo. Nice work on cleaning / clearing it up Jeff. Hope to see some more of these in the near future. Very cool.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Jeff

This appears to be a camp supper. Photo taken from each end of the room. This was a tough one it was so faded.

Okrafarmer

Very nice work, Jeff. Do you think those pictures were taken in Michigan or a neighboring state, or do you have any idea?

I think I see some Paul Case Mustaches there.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Jeff

I found the photos in Michigan. There is no writing on any of them, so I'm not sure where they came from other than the one with the train marked LG&M RR.

Jeff

sprucebunny

Cool  !!! Great work getting the contrast up !

I love seeing log buildings that it only took 5 logs to make the walls high enough  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Okrafarmer

And it makes me wonder if they took it all apart and sent the logs down the river to the mill after they were done with them.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can't believe how many of those guys look like CHET.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Maybe you, or some of the FF members, will find some clues from the photos as to the location, time period, and outfit involved. Can you tell anything from the locomotive? Anybody know what make or time period it is?

Roxie

In the first camp supper picture, the fella in the extreme front left must be Cowboy Bob's Granpaw.   :D

Now, in that same picture, there are dozens of cans stacked up.  Are those beans? 
Say when

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Roxie on January 31, 2013, 08:37:09 AM
Now, in that same picture, there are dozens of cans stacked up.  Are those beans?

They could be, but I would hope they would be the things the camp used less of. If they had to open that many cans of beans, it sure would be tedious! But maybe shipping them by the barrel wasn't practical. I bet those guys would eat a barrel or two of beans a day.

isawlogs

Those camps where left behind for the next guy to come around, they would have too many nails in them to be brought to a mill. Nails where no better friend to a mill back then than they are today.  Our first hunting camp was one that had been a lumber camp in its prior life, it was just too far gone back then to restore... Knowing what I know now about log buildings , I would of made a bigger effort to save it.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

inspectorwoody

Neat photos and great work Jeff!

Jeff

I've been fixing these up so they could be printed in a large size if necessary. I'm scanning them at 600 ppi, fixing the large scan and saving it. Theoretically, these should print up to a four foot wide image.

I like this one. Definitely the Lake George and Muskegon. You can see it marked on the car with the gents sitting on it.

thecfarm

No pictures of horses that got the wood out? Well I say horses,could be oxens,crawlers too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I've restored quite a few of my wifes' old sepia finish photos using photo shop .It's very time consuming and requires a lot of operating memory .

If you very adept at it you could "paint brush"
missing portions but I never became that good at it .

Jeff

Al, this is the photo I just started. It is going to be quite a challenge.  All of the photos above used techniques to create missing content. This photo is missing a lot! I suspect i'll have a few hours into it, if I can even do it at all.

Thank You Sponsors!