iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hauling logs

Started by Grandbuddy, October 06, 2015, 05:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

He would also be in line for a good smack from the hook. Not a good situation at all.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brad_bb

Not my trailer, but I like the deck over and parbuckling it on.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Tom the Sawyer

As I said, "if you want them bad enough".  I moved many logs with that minimal setup.  Yes, it would have been nice to have a truck, a bigger trailer, metal ramps with spring back stops, an electric winch, tons of help, and on, and on, and on.  I don't move them that way anymore, I am smarter and not as strong and have come up with a number of more efficient, and safer ways to move logs... or I just say no. 

As far as my cant hook, I have had it for about 30 years and it has never failed me or broken.  I don't know what brand it is but whoever made it happened on an excellent design.  It is still my go-to tool for moving logs and, yes, I own a Logrite.  No brand of tool, machine or vehicle is perfect for everyone and, to the best of my knowledge, no one on this forum owned a Logrite in 1989 or even 1999 for that matter.  It is a historical photograph. 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: BCsaw on October 13, 2015, 09:49:06 PM
Having 2 people is so much safer.......if that wasn't obvious. :D

One can hold while the other repositions....and so on. ;D
But then who would take the picture?  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

deadfall

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on October 14, 2015, 06:22:56 PM
As far as my cant hook, I have had it for about 30 years and it has never failed me or broken.  I don't know what brand it is but whoever made it happened on an excellent design.  It is still my go-to tool for moving logs and, yes, I own a Logrite.  No brand of tool, machine or vehicle is perfect for everyone and, to the best of my knowledge, no one on this forum owned a Logrite in 1989 or even 1999 for that matter.  It is a historical photograph.

When I bought my last wooden cant hook, I already had a big peavy with a new replacement handle (pick of the litter at the industrial supply).  When I had my first W-M experience over thirty years ago, it was an LT30 manual, and we bought two wooden cant hooks from W-M at the time.  We overloaded that mill many times and grunted some big timbers and way-too-big logs and never busted a cant hook.  So when I bought my used LT40HD, I went to W-M for some blades and asked for a cant hook to buy.  I was offered one of them newfangled ones and I asked if they still sold the wooden ones.  I asked the man if he ever broke one of the wooden ones.  He shook his head.  I bought the wooden one.

So, it's true that I don't know what I've been missing.  But I've never broken a handle that I didn't make myself (trying to save a buck).  We just don't have the right wood out here that I know of. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Kingmt

Hickory works well for handles. Altho I have broken a few old hickory handles they hold up well.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Thank You Sponsors!