iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Max bar length for stihl 038 as chainsaw mill

Started by JoshNZ, January 04, 2018, 02:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

Simple enough question for the experienced Alaskan millers, I have a stihl 038 with a 20" bar on it, I know it's not ideal but it's what I've got. If I were going to buy a rip chain and bar for it, how big could I go?

I've had a Mangeao (NZ native I believe - incase anyone knows anything about it) tree come down up the road and have been scratching my head about what to do with it for months, I think if I don't have a go at it with even a 20" mill it will end up as firewood so there's nothing really to be lost.

Any advice appreciated as always!
Josh

JoshNZ

That's a magnum 038 incase it matters. 4hp/72cc

Crossroads

My 036 is rated for up to a 28" bar, but I feel like it would pull a 30" bar just fine after running the 28" for the past a while.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

woodyone.john

If you 30-36 inch it will still cut but be slower.Sharp chain and well tuned saw will make it more tolerable.Where about s are you ,central north island? How many more times do you want to do this?
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

JoshNZ

Depends how many more trees fall down  :D

I've got a small workshop with a bunch of woodworking gear/machinery in it. Just a hobby nothing professional, so it'd be for the purpose of feeding that. And to be honest an entire tree would keep me happy for years unless I really ran into some free time.

Certainly cheaper to put together a chainsaw mill than it is to buy timber these days  steve_smiley

Have you ever had anything to do with Mangeaos? Aka Litsea calicaris. From what I read it looks worth taking.

richhiway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLCp4s0LJc

here is my old farm boss pulling a 30 inch bar in white pine when I first started chainsaw millling.

I use a 661 and a 046 magnum on my mill now.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

JoshNZ

I ended up buying a 36" bar for it and a chain filed at 10 degrees. Started off great I got the first plank off in 4 minutes but I haven't been able to keep it as sharp as it came new so I was down to about 15-20 minutes a plank by the end of it, maybe longer for the wider stuff.

I can certainly say another 20cc wouldn't go amiss, but it does work pretty well. Hopefully the wood behaves as it dries, I'll get the ends painted and strapped up on sticks. Pleased with it so far, some of them are quite pretty. I must have gotten nearly 20 slabs out of the 3 logs, and another tree has just come down behind it  thumbs-up

richhiway

Looks great. I use a 12V electric sharpener with the diamond bit. The way it only take a minute or two to keep the chain sharp between cuts. Having a couple of chains to rotate through works also. Then once in a while use a file guide or a grinder to get the 10 angle back to perfect. Granberg make sharpening tools and also make a good ripping chain.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

JoshNZ

I do have a Dremel and I bought a diamond bit for it but I think my collet or shaft must be bent, the bit doesn't quite run true I'd say it'll be useless. A file does do the trick it brings it back to life, just not quite what it was out of the box.

I noticed on some of this timber, after it has been over the saw bench it has areas of fury/stringy patches on it. Have any of you guys seen this? I've never had anything to do with green lumber so not sure what this will do in a few years. I have a bunch more I can mill but I'm reluctant to spend the time on it if it's all going to end up as square edged firewood. When a tree falls over and you don't know what it is, what do you look for to know if it's decent or not?

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!