iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil vent causing oil leak??

Started by mikey517, December 11, 2013, 06:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey517

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

My 3 year old Husky 353 leaked bar oil over the floor of my pick-up. It had never leaked before, and started after using it for about 3 hours of bucking logs. The bar & chain always got ample oil.

After hours of reading various chainsaw boards, and watching how to You-tube videos, I took it apart, checked the feeder tube for cracks, etc. I used compressed air to clear out any possible gunk. Put everything back together, added oil and fired her up. Ran the saw for about 5 minutes (unfortunately I had no wood to cut), and got plenty of oil on the bar and chain. Shut her down, and placed her on my bench on clean dry paper. After about an hour, noticed oil leaking from behind the plate again.

More reading. Found a tip about loosening the oil cap a bit to ease pressure in the tank due to a clogged oil vent.

So, loosened the cap and....violin!...not a drop after about 12 hours of sitting.

My (long-winded) question; where is the vent located on a Husky 353 and how does one clear it?

nmurph

There is a small sintered brass vent located bw the bar studs. I have had some luck using compressed air and carb cleaner to open them. I don't believe they are listed on the IPL. They can be popped out through the bar pad, and replaced through the oil tank.

mikey517

Do you think I made the right diagnosis? It was amazing how much oil would leak out from under the silver cover; no matter how much I tightened the cap. Now, virtually no leak at all.

How does that happen?? ???

nmurph

Yes, I think you are on the right track.

mikey517

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

Gdalesio

Sweet, Mikey, I had the same problem on the exact saw.  Pretty much answered a wired question that I have not gotten around to ask yet, I had the leak when I put cold bar oil in a warm saw, in a  warm garage.

Thanks in advance , lol

Thank You Sponsors!