iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple o' more pics

Started by kra, January 20, 2004, 01:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kra

here are a few more pics of my homemade mill
i still need to tweek a couple of things (like my blade guard)
but it does work suprisingly well
2 cyl. onan engine 16 or 18 hp
by the way the house pics from other thread  are for a client, not mine
i build custom homes for a living

shopteacher

Well kra I imagine that mill will see a lot of use in the custom home business.  Nice looking job on the mill. Lets see now you need and edger, log loader, kiln, planer, but your definitely on the right track.  Anything we can help you out with just ask away.  Old Butch and I would just like to welcome you to the forum.  Oh, I hate to ask, but he wants to know if'n you got any dog biscuits? He's such a pest.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

kra

shopteacher,
here is a bisquit for old butch

i have a case uniloader with forks i use at work that works real well for handling logs
also have  a foley belsaw 12" planer and a parks 12" planer in my shop and a 12" joynter too
i plan on adding hydraulics to this mill or making another one with hydraulics after i see what works and what doesnt on this one
i salvaged hydraulic motors and pumps and valves and cylinders from a couple of old conveyors and have been saving them until i figure out how to set it all up on a mill
it is a lot of fun to me to try to build something from salvaged parts (and cheaper)

shopteacher

One of my favorite places in the world: The Salvage Yard
One of my wife least favorite places: The Salvage Yard, not that she would actually go there, but she not especially happy about all the stuff I haul home.  Found a air handler exactly like the one in my bedroom for 5.00, how can you beat that?  I salvage hydraulics, gear reducers, motors, couplings, pulleys, structural steel, machines( bought a DoAll surface grinder for 100.00)  and just about anything else that looks usable. Yes, I tell you that's my hardware heaven.  8)
  Old Butch is sitting here drooling over that bone. He wants me to print out a picture to hang it over his bed. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

T_in_SC

Great job on the mill KRA.  I recently built a mill on the Rake design.  Like the way you supported the head with a separate cable on each side, I would do mine that way if I had it to do over.   What did you use for a driveshaft and hub?

kra

T_in_SC
i used an axle from ford rearend and turned down to fit 1 1/4 pillow blocks

HOGFARMER

Hey, the mill looks great.   I am in the process of building a Rakes style mill as well.  Glad to hear that yours is working out well.  I looked but was unable to tell from your photos what you use for the blade guides.  Could you provide some input on this.  
Manual LT-30

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, all kinds of new members.  Welcome aboard, guys. Nice lookin mill, Kra.

Always nice to see them handmade mills.  Ain't it fun, when they even work???  :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!