iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Mill Is Here

Started by 038magnum, July 31, 2012, 05:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

038magnum

My new mill is at PA Wood-Mizer and I can't wait to play with it. Marty sent me some video of it this weekend. I know I have watched this video 50 times by now.
Nice, bright orange, new, clean, New LT70DCS Wide Head, Awesome looking.
I was going to go to Pennsylvania to pick it up but my foot is in a cast for 2 or more weeks. Went to the doctor today and found out the bad news. So now I am going to let Marty bring it to me since I can't drive my truck yet. It's has a manual transmission in it.
You know how it is when you wait 4 years to buy your mill and you have to wait a little longer.
You can't!
At least I can't.      It can't get it fast enough.          "Christmas in August!"

Bill Gaiche

Good luck on the new mill. Hope you are able to make some sawdust fly soon. bg

tyb525

Even worse will be seeing it sitting there and not being able to use it till your foot heals up ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill!   8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tom L

congrats on the new mill, a friend of mine bought that mill over last winter and it is some piece of equipment, his is diesel and you should see it cut.  good luck

customsawyer

Don't worry about the foot. Get some help to stack the lumber and you can just sit with your foot propped up and run the mill. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Delawhere Jack

Sawdust wounds all heels............ er, um, "heals all wounds."  ;D

Hope you are prepared for an obsessive adventure!

rmack

I've never had sawdust get into a cast... wonder what it's like?

guess we'll hear about it soon enough.

;D
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

John_Haylow

Congratulations on the new mill. Don't forget your camera. ;)
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

bugdust

Way to go Magnum, I'm sure it was worth the wait. Give Magic Man a call, maybe he's got an extra seat you could borrow and ride until you're healed up and haired over.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

thecfarm

Hardy,Va,that's about a 14 hour drive. I'll run it for you just to make sure it's all lined up.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stavebuyer

Congrats on the new mill. Can you tell us about the "wide head"?

JustinW_NZ

yeah, whats a wide head and can you send it to New Zealand? (pretty please?)  ;D

Cheers

Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Jemclimber

The excitement of a new toy.... Congratulations.
lt15

TimGA

Super happy for ya!
          Great time to read the manual a few more times. You will be able to stumble around the mill and check out all the adjustments, not that WM doesn't have it right already,you will just know where everything is. Be careful when that cast comes off, a little log roll into that leg, well lets not go there.      Good luck I can feel your excitement!!         
                              Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

slider

I'm happy for you too magnum,now tell us about the wide head
al glenn

038magnum

The Wide Head as it was explained to me.
You will not have any trouble making lumber out of Redwoods or Sequoia trees. You have to turn the head rig sideways on the mill when traveling down the highway or wide load signage must be obtained.

Just joking!

It was a new option that was told to me when I was ordering mine. They said they already had one on an electric mill and they had one on a diesel mill. I would have the third one. It uses a 196" long blade which makes the head wider than the standard LT70 head. I forgot what the width was but I will get the exact measurement when I get mine as well as pics.
You know how it is with us kids and our toys. "Bigger is better!"
After I was told about this the deal was sealed for me on a LT70. I had to have one.

038magnum

MartyParsons

Hello,
The blade length is 196". The head was opened about 6" should give us 31" total width. 
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

customsawyer

Marty why didn't you all have that in 2006 when my two mills were made? lol That would come in handy on some of mine and WDH's projects. That company WM is starting to make me drool again.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

038magnum

Marty sent me all the manuals UPS today.
Arm chair training 101 has begun. This way I can't tear up nothing yet!

Norm

Wanna bet... :D

When I got mine I'd read the manuals a couple of times through. First log with everybody standing around watching and me nervous I bumped the up lever about half way through the cut. The band snapped with a very loud bang! I jumped a foot!

I've jinxed you now haven't I.  ;)

rmack

Watching the weight of the head come down on the blade because you forgot to take it out of Patten mode is a but humbling too.  ;)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

038magnum

Thanks for scaring me! smiley_dizzy
So much to Learn, so little time. If I do tear up something I hope it is cheap to fix. :-[

customsawyer

It is not If you tear something up, its when and how bad. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

I inflicted more damage due to "operator error" in the first couple days than I've done since!  So many bright and shiny knobs, buttons, and levers...
Congratulations and good luck 8)
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Wallys World

Let me know if you need some help, I'm just over in the Lynchburg area.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Leigh Family Farm

Any pictures of the whole mill in place?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

038magnum

I am hoping to get it around the 18th of this month. When I get it I will take pics before I break anything on it.

Solomon

I know how it is, I waited five years to buy mine.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

dMizer

Magnum, so you're the one who had Marty twist my arm to build the wide head LT70?

Just kidding...We built some custom wide head mills for a few customers in South America cutting big, tropical logs. The customers loved them so we figured we would offer them in the U.S. as well.

The nice thing with the DCS joysticks is that you can prop up your leg and saw away. Just be sure to keep both hands on the controls and resist the temptation to scratch at the sawdust falling into the cast  :)

Enjoy the mill when it arrives.

Darryl
Wood-Mizer Sales Director

Thank You Sponsors!