iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Grade Stake Post and yes I searched the archive......

Started by Ga_Boy, December 02, 2005, 11:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

I have been  asked to quote cutting various sizes of grade stakes for a local retail outfit.

My question is:  Is Sweet Gum a good material selection? 

Past supplires used Pine and the customers complained about splitting, I was asked to quote using "Hardwoods".  I have explained to this outfit the differance between hard woods and soft; leaves and needles.

Also, I am looking for a pointer that can handle 2" square blanks.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Jim_Rogers

Is sweet gum a hard wood?

I make stakes of mixed hardwoods, but sweet gum doesn't grow in my area that I know of. I don't believe I've ever milled that.

Hud-Son makes a pointer but I'm not sure if they make one that will go to 2", yet.
You'll have to do some more research and ask them.
I know they were working on one for doing big stock, 4" for fence posts and things like that. I saw it when I picked mine up. The standard models will go up to 1 1/2".

Good Luck.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dan_Shade

how many sides do they have to be pointed on, Mark?

if it's just two sides, you could make a jig to hold all the pieces at an angle, and then run your peterson over them, then flip the jig, and run them on the other side.  having to point 4 sides would be double the handling, but still would b e doable.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ga_Boy

Jim,

Sweet Gum is a hardwood.  The grain grows in a spiral so it is extreamly prone to wraping and twisting.

Kevin_H.

We use only oak, hickory and maybe a little ash for our stakes, most seem to really like the white oak as it is easier to read once it is written on.

http://www.hud-son.com/stakesharpener.htm

hud-son makes a sharpener that will do up to 2 1/2" inches, but a full 2 x 2 stake seems awefully big?
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Ga_Boy

Kevin,

I am just getting in to the stake business,  I did call my excevating buddy, it seems 2x 2 stakes are common here for the contractors.

I was given a spec sheet for the sizes and bundles that are wanted.

FiremanEd

Mark,

Sweetgum will make stakes but it mildews extreamly badly. Our local stake plant which is huge will not use it at all as he gets too many stakes rejected or returned when he uses gum.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

doublecut

Hi Ga_Boy
We had a request for a stake pointer so we designed one with circular saws. But this unit will point 2000 stakes an hour. Not sure if that would be over kill for you or not . Uses 2 circular saws with tilting heads.Will do up to a 3x2 stake 12" to 4ft long.This is the first one of it's kind that i know of. BUt very simple . Adjusting saw degrees both verticle and horizontal and fast.  Our customer that had us build it for him just sent out 123,000 stakes 12" long all done by hand.  All i could say is wow! Hence the need for more productive way to make pointed grade stakes. Will post pics when we have it completed .Should be soon.
doublecut

Ga_Boy

Lindsy,

If I get in to the stake business, the biggest stake called for on the spec sheet is 2" X 2" X 8',

Can your unit be modified to accept this length of material?

Mark

doublecut

Yes very easily and inexpesively . No problem there.
doublecut

Ga_Boy

Lindsey,

Can you send a spec sheet and drawing or picture of your pointer?

Any idea aon cost?

Mark

doublecut

I will have pics & specs for you shortly . The price is going to retail at 9900.00 cad. with the in feed table for the stakes and the out feed landing table. Can show you how to make a jig wrapper for bundling. Will have one completed this week.
doublecut

karl

Got a clever friend who built a sharpener that cuts two sided point and trims to length.
Just drop 'em on the infeed chains and they feed through two angled blades and one square cut that is adjustable from 12"-48".
I made a simple version with two beat up skillsaws and 10'" blades in a plywood box with an adjustable table and manually feed them by the saws. We run 3-5 by the saws at a time and rotate each a quarter turn to make 4 sided points. After stabbing myself on the sharp pointed bundles we decided to set the fence so that they have a 1/8" flat on the points for safety. It has a 4'' hose port to suck the chips/schrapnel away from the blades.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

karl

"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Thank You Sponsors!