iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mushroom season

Started by OH logger, April 10, 2017, 08:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

found about 60 morrals today (not sure of spelling). I kept 40 and left the guy that was with me keep 20 or so. whats the ways you all cook em? I'm best at eating them, ok at findin em, and have never cooked them myself. I do know that I ate too many though. the kids didn't like em and my wife isn't crazy (about the mushrooms I mean  ;D) so I ended up eating most of them myself. now I feel l like I ate a bowling ball  :(. just wondered what everyone elses process is to cook them and eat them?? thanks
john

Chop Shop

Were the stems completely hollow or have hairy/cottony fibers inside them?

WV Sawmiller

Ohio Logger,

Look over int he Food thread. Currently same topic is there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

cnewbykkn

Quote from: Chop Shop on April 11, 2017, 12:03:39 AM
Were the stems completely hollow or have hairy/cottony fibers inside them?

Great question, don't need anyone eating too many verpas!

gww

OH
I let them soak in salt water for awhile to let the buggs crawl out.  Then slice in half.  Salt, pepper and flour and fry in greese.  I never find enough to eat any other way.  On good years I have tried freezing some on a cookie sheet but now just try to eat them fresh even if there are a lot of them.  They are not as good later if you ask me.  If we really find a lot, just invite friends cause fresh is better in my view and the friends don't seem to mind at all.
Cheers
gww

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: cnewbykkn on April 11, 2017, 08:50:45 AM
Great question, don't need anyone eating too many verpas!

Another mushroom I will not eat.

From an article I read;
"If these precautions are taken, Verpas are safe for most people.  Some, however, are sensitive to it and will experience gastrointestinal upset or even loss of muscular coordination."

:o :o :o
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OH logger

they are hollow. they are the right ones...heck I didn't even hallucinate last night   :D. I saw the thread in the food section after I posted mine here. I never go below the firewood topic so I didn't even realize there was a food thread here. that will come in handy. thanks
john

Kbeitz

Good time spent in the woods...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brian_Weekley

Mushrooms scare me and I won't eat one to this day.  I attribute this phobia to watching a really bad Japanese Sci-Fi movie as a little kid—"Attack of the Mushroom People".   :o
e aho laula

LeeB

Can anyone positively identify these? Two different kinds.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Autocar

I don't know what they are but I got a wood/saw dust pile with a million of them growing on it right now  :D
Bill

luap

I don't know what kind of ologist a mushroom expert is called but to this day I only will eat the morel if I picked it or the store bought white variety. There was a local expert here locally years ago and he and his wife were found deceased in the house with some kind of cooked mushroom in the kitchen.

Thank You Sponsors!