iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tips on learning to weld?

Started by Hooterspfld, January 26, 2019, 01:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooterspfld

Just curious if anyone has any tips on learning to weld. Nothing crazy but I'd like to be able to do some repairs and improvements to my trailer, also there's some furniture projects that will require welding, plus I can't count the number of times I could have fixed something or fabbed a fix if only I knew how to weld. 

I looked into the local technical school, and by the time I paid student fees etc it was going to be like $700 for the intro welding class... I'm totally green, so any advice or online videos would be helpful. Welding to me seems like more of a hands on teaching situation and I'm not looking to become certified, just want to be able to add the skill at an amateur around the house type level.

Thanks!

-Adam

thecfarm

Stick,mig?
Mig,wire feed, is real easy to learn. 
You have a place inside to weld or will you be welding outside?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Weldingtipsandtricks on YouTube is a great place to start. If you are going to stick weld, I'd look for an old ac/dc machine, the heavier, the better. I got my Idealarc at an auction for $25.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

doc henderson

the local tech school might still be a good resource.  They offer one day courses for boyscouts as part of a merit badge.  You are bit old for that, but many instructors are pretty cool.  you could see if you could monitor a class for no credit and see if that is cheaper.  It is true welding is very hands on but there is some technical stuff that will make you a better welder long run.  My brother was a class a welder, so check with friends and family.  Mig welding has a sound when it is right.  I have been given 2 of the old buzz box stick welders and own a blue mig welder that make me look like a good welder.  lots of tricks.  I bought a Haynes book on welding.  might be a start.  get it on kindle cheap if you have that.  agree with google and you tube as well
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Corley5

Get a welder, a book on welding, and practice.  And be patient ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

OntarioAl

Pay up take the Technical school course It will be the best investment you could make.
I took a night school course one winter over 40 years ago and it has served me well
Cheers
Al

Al
Al Raman

Hooterspfld

Honestly I don't know the pros or cons for arc/mig welding, so I'm not sure which type will suit me. I've got a 2 car garage that has become my shop, so most of the welding will be done indoors, of course I'd like to be able to do some mods on my trailer so that would be done outside. I can't see anything more intensive than welding tubing to form table legs, need to repair some bad welds on angle iron on my trailer and add some plate to stiffen up the bracket my winch sits on. 

Thanks Dave, I'll check out those youtube videos tonight.. Hopefully, internet's been s*** all day. 

Hooterspfld

Think I'll head to an auction tomorrow they've got a Hobart 210 Mig welder for sale. If it goes at a fair price I might have to take it home. As far as tanks go, do you buy those or rent them and what type of expense am I looking at there? Are the welding helmets at Harbor Freight good enough?

doc henderson

The tank is usually a "lease" so you pay a little more the first time and exchange it for a less price when empty, much like propane.  The will often require the metal safety cap so don't loose it.  Many of us learned from a little bit of all the above.  The stick welders are preferred by many as able to weld on all sorts of metal in many conditions.  In wind you have your shield gas blow away.  A mig welder is easier to master in terms of an arc, and making a nice looking weld, but easier to under penetrate and not be as strong.  my brother would tell you it is 90% prep work.  grinding and making a v-notch so the finished weld goes all the way through, and is not just a pretty setting on the surface.  The welder in the picture looks well kept, but there are consumables.  might get the hx., i.e. "just driven to church on sunday" ect.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

crowhill

The 210 is a nice little welder! First project mine was used for was to weld a skidder tire chain to a 10' piece of 2.5" thick walled pipe with the chain corks down toward the ground to make a drag harrow. Tacked it about every foot with a 1" long bead. When doing it wondered if the penetration would be deep enough. Hasn't separated yet!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Hooterspfld

Thanks @doc henderson 

Not gonna go crazy and buy the welder tomorrow just cause I'm itching to weld. I found the Hobart 210 for $900 new delivered from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company, and there's one local that looks as though it's been pretty used on Cragslist for $600. So I'd be a player at $400-500, I'm always looking for a deal, so that if I'm not using it or loose interest I can usually get most of my money back.

muggs

I took welding at a community college. It was free. :laugh:

Hooterspfld

They used to offer a class at the community college, but don't seem to anymore. If I was unemployeed I could take the full certification class for free... I'll  shoot the teacher an email and see if he has any suggestions. 

doc henderson

Another point.  I buy a few loaner, one time rare use items at harbor freight.  I swear some stuff is prob made in a factory that makes the name brand items.  Even with Hobart, when something does not work, it is nice to have support.  I bought a Millermatic 250x about 22 years ago.  it was not cheap but the sales person delivered it my house.  He threw in extras like a Jackson helmet, gloves, extra wire that had a broken wire on the spool ( I could fix with my new welder)  and he spent a few hours showing me how to use it.  i also think that brand names like Lincoln and miller hold their value.  I am not a financial adviser and I do not work with these companies.  We moved about 17 years ago and there is an authorized dealer in town.  They helped me replace a liner (to guide the wire in the lead, they wear out).  It is where I get advice and consumables.  I am sure there are dealers and good ol boys who can help you in your area.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Woodpecker52

Justs do it, practice on scraps read a few handbooks, utube etc.  I just watched someone weld for about 10 minutes and he let me try and I got over the mystery and fear factors.  I have two welders a Harbor Chicago tool wire which I use all the time have had for 10 years, never a hint of trouble.  I also have a Lincoln stick welder which I use and it is my favorite,( It don't  play around) learning to lay a good bead just takes practice.  As far as helmet I have Harbor self darkening they work well, however my favorite is just the hand held shield type.  I also learned to torch weld and silver solder weld with a butane flame especially on smaller projects.  Some of my silver welds have been  on cast iron and brass, copper etc. But I have used it on steel and I swear It will hold as strong as any arc weld.  Anyway I guess what I am trying to arrive at is that most people can learn to weld, I have seen some shade tree dudes using a battery and coat hanger wire and the welds held, they said mans we just gots to do it. So that's all I have got to say also, Mans you justs gots to do it.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

millwright

Buy a mug welder, and invite over someone that knows how to weld to give you some pointers. Then practice all you can, it's not rocket science, but it takes decent vision and lots of practice

millwright

Sorry, big thumb that should be mig

Woodpecker52

I like the idea of a mug welder drink my brewski and lay down a bead at the same time! :D
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

thecfarm

When I first started to "weld" mig,gas was not locally available. About an hour away. And you always run out when they are closing. Something you don't understand,yet,I went with flux core wire,gasless. The main reason,I weld outside. Gas does not work well with the wind. But flux core makes a mess too. I don't do many pretty projects. I need to build something to make my work easier.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

I'm taking that workforce development class you're talking about at the community college, full tuition is a little over $3k, with financial aid, grants, etc, they hammered it down to $85, I got fitted for the jacket and gloves last week at the first class session, went out today and got some cheater lenses to slip inside the helmet, I do have to turn the helmet back in at the end of class. You also need steel toes but if you don't have a pair and can't afford them they will pay for those. Everyone in the class is currently employed but it is meant to improve your employability so do give them a call if you're interested. I can get as many as 5 structural steel certifications, the instructor said he would like for everyone to get at least 2 and I must get at least one or I owe them $1250 for wasting everyones time... good incentive to show up! I've had a welder and laid down bird poop for about 20 years, mostly farm repairs, etc. Some good, some otherwise but it is generally good enough to hold, or I've done it again. The building inspector has turned a blind eye for as long as he could. I'm having some structural work on this job hired out to a certified welder until I can get the tickets. The community college down the mountain has an intro class for about $200 aimed more at homeowner type welding.

moodnacreek

It would be best to take a course on welding. There is really a lot to it. If you start with wire feed you may amaze yourself with some nice looking welds but it's just the beginning . There are some good welders who don't understand where not to weld and make the structure they are working weaker. Find an old expert to explain this and you will be farther ahead.

sawguy21

A 100 amp buzzbox would probably do everything you want to start, you can upgrade cheaply as your skills increase. Do you have 220VAC available to run a larger electric drive? A basic gas setup is also very useful.
I attended night school at community college to get the basics of gas and stick (pre mig/tig) then practiced every chance I got. I became reasonably proficient at brazing and welding mild steel but a worsening tremor in my hands ended my attempts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Larry

I've had a Hobart 185 mig for about 10 years. Excellent machine with zero problems. The 210 is more robust and the big advantage is you can get a spool gun for it to weld aluminum.

Some of the new inverter TIG machines are pretty exciting. TIG and stick in the same machine with extreme versatility.

Call all the welding shops about tanks. Airgas just changed to where they only sell small tanks outright. Sometimes the store keeps a list of owners wanting to sell outright big tanks. Joplin has Linweld (now Matheson) that sells tanks or use to. I own all my tanks from Linweld, Airgas, and Welsco. The only thing I have to buy is the gas itself.

I'm mostly self taught and have been welding for 50 years now. I do pick up a tip occasionally from youtube. Welding Tips and Tricks seems to be one of the best.

Another place to pick up some education is Eureka Springs School of The Arts. https://essa-art.org/ They have a one day course which is a brief introduction to welding twice a year. I was a guinea pig for course development. You might call and express your needs. If enough interest they might put a course together. They also have 3 day and longer courses which are mainly welding art type courses. Nationally known instructors.

I forgot....my Harbor Freight helmet works fine.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!