iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling cedars from the trees perspective (video)

Started by StorminN, March 01, 2012, 07:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorminN

Hi guys,

Been away from the forum a while, but last weekend we felled a couple of cedars at my friend's house and we filmed it with a camera mounted on the tree... here's the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPbj7FGfe84

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

beenthere

THAT is impressive!  Different sounds, different view.... thanks!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Onthesauk

Slick!

I'm impressed with how much abuse those cameras will take.

Great show!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

haywire woodlot

Really cool video, but I'm also really concerned about the faller's lack of concern about the safety of the people abound the base of the tree, especially the woman holding the baby sitting on the log whose end is right next to the tree being dropped. Maybe the camera makes things look closer than they appear and everyone is really a full tree length away from the stump, but we must ensure safety is our first concern when working in the woods, even on the weekend. A professional faller in BC would most likely lose his certification if a video of him falling a tree like this was seen by the wrong person. I don't want to come off heavy, but I would hate to see anyone hurt in an accident that is very preventable!
Dave

semologger

Liked the video.Thanks for sharing. Now i want to see OKMulch put a camera on one of his cedars and run it through his new grinder. :D.

sandhills

Something tells me the camera wouldn't hold up so well in that particular situation  :), that is a nice video Norm, thanks for showing us.

Ironwood

No offense Stormin, BUT yesh, that guy sitting on the groud (at least he got up and moved) , the dog, The BABY :o and even sitting on a butt log angling for the tree bottom. WOW. It looked striaght forward, but YOU NEVER know what will happen. I wouldnt even let my equipment sit near the fall zone, let alone my wife and child. Think of a Boy Scout "blood circle" anything in the full circumference of base (no matter what direction it decided to head) should be near. ......

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bogue Chitto

Nice camera, what kind is it?  It did not even blink or cut out.

semologger

This could be a new a new TV comercial for  the camera. Send video to the manufacture. May have a hit. Aston Kutcher Ha

DeerMeadowFarm

Paul_H

I pretended it was a protester/tree sitter's view. popcorn_smiley
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

:D :D :D         

That makes the video even better.  :)   
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

StorminN

Hi guys,

Haywire and Ironwood, the first camera was mounted about 45 feet? up a 100 foot? tree. No one that you see there was a full tree length away... that would have meant being well on the other side of the house you see there. If things had gone completely wrong, the top of tree probably could have hit the neighbor's house, too. The camera is very wide angle (170°, I believe), so it does make things look closer than they are, but yeah... you can tell people to move, that they shouldn't be there (and I did) but whether they listen or not is another story.

Bougue, the camera is a GoPro HERO. I love it... it works underwater, too... it will take a lot of abuse... there are videos of them on YouTube where skydivers and BASE jumpers have accidentally dropped them and they fall 2,000 feet and survive. I figured as long as the trees didn't roll and fall directly on the camera, the camera would be ok.

Semologger, I did send a link to GoPro, and they put it on their news Twitter section...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Bandmill Bandit

That is real cool

I tried a saw head view on my saw mill but there is a bit too much vibration.
Building a small mount that I hope will fix that and then will do it a again.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Dave VH

unexpectedly awesome video.  I would of never thought that that would be so cool.  what ever gave you the idea?
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Dave VH on March 03, 2012, 09:56:15 PM
unexpectedly awesome video.  I would of never thought that that would be so cool.  what ever gave you the idea?

Those Kids (i have one too) grew up wit ha bit different perspective on life. YOU would be shocked and amazed the things they will attach a camera to. And they really dont even think about it they just doit and then you near comments like; "hmm! maybe that wasn't such a good idea?"
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

semologger

Now i am going to want to put a camera on everything. :D Thats cool they Twitted the video for ha.

Thank You Sponsors!