iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ultralight Pilots, Homebuilt Airplane Builders & Flying enthusiast - Log on!

Started by woodbowl, December 06, 2005, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

Do you like to fly, own a plane or enjoy building airplanes? You got some ole' stories of a hairy flight that you survived? Are you a member of EAA? Ever go to Oshkosh or Lakeland airshows? I've been chatting with some of you guys a little bit here and a little bit there, but it is so scattered out I'm not able to find it very fast.  As for me I fly Ultralights and plan to build another plane soon. I used to work for Weedhopper in 1979, owned an American Aerolights Eagle, Wizard, Quicksilver, Weedhopper and a Pheonix 6B Hangglider. I took hanggliding lessons at lookout Mt in Chattanooga and hangglided in Wash. state, Utah and New Mexico. I've built a composite canard Goldwing and a design of my own. I'm part way through my A&P training. Here is the link that sorta' started this thread, beginning at reply #194. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=9559.180
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

I got a little aviation in my background, but I ain't flew nuthin in 35 years.  Sometimes I think it would be neat to get back in the air, but there just ain't enough desire there to make it happen.  Guess I just bored all the holes I needed to.  Building an aircraft does have a certain appeal to it though.  I just don't see how it will ever get off the ground if the wings don't turn. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

VA-Sawyer

I have a C-172 but haven't flown it for almost 4 years.    Started flying in 1975, got my CFI and my A&P in '78 .  CFII and IA in '81. MEI in '93.  Ran an FBO for a few years in the mid eightys. I tried to make a living in aviation for almost 25 years. Hard to explain, but 9/11 took the fun out of it. Just now getting back to where I look up at planes flying overhead.

etat

VA, when your dad was here he told a LOT of interesting story's about working on airplanes.  It was really fun and interesting to listen to him!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Coon

I fly a ultralight helicopter that I built myself.  It is derived from the G-1 by Vortech.  I have added skids and a bigger engine to the original plans as well as added a few exta braces that the plans never called for.  It is built out of steel rather than tha alluminum that the plans called for.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

woodbowl

VA-sawyer, your all set for the good life with all those ratings. I wish I had pursued some of those when I was younger. Too bad 911 hit ya that way. ............. I just realized that your in Williamsburg. I was stationed just down the road from you at Ft Eustis from 75-78.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

VA-Sawyer

Woodbowl,
One might think so... ,but even with around 4000 hrs, I can't seem to get a flying gig around here. I was flying an Aztec for a company in Nothern Indiana before moving down here in '99 to be with Shirley.  Things are different here when it comes to aviation. I've been thinking about moving back to the midwest lately.

75-78 I was attending Purdue University.
VA-Sawyer

fstedy

Been to Oshkosh 3 times what a great experience haven't been since 1995 . Flew a Twin Otter for Allegeheny Commuter for 8 years in the 1970's  its a fun airplane. But commuter flying is tough on you especially when the weather goes down we used to shoot 12 approaches a day hand flying with 15 minute turn arounds. You get that pucker factor when the sky is obsecured and visibility is around RVR 1500' looking for the lights at minimums. Started out as a CFI then the FBO bought a Allegeheny Commuter franchise and got on as the junior FO got the ATP rating made Captain 18 months. Tried to get on with the major carriers but the economy wasn't right during the 70's. At that time when you were in your mid 30's the major carriers wouldn't hire you any more so when the opportunity of going into the machine shop bussiness came up I hung it up with 7400 hrs in the air. Had a few harrowing experiences but that another story.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Norm

I got my license back in 92, my oldest son and I flew quite a bit until he joined the AF and moved to Germany. After the terrorists attacks on New York it got to be so expensive and so much hassle to fly I sold my airplane...sure do miss flying but not the hassle of red tape.

The last one I owned was a Saratoga II.

Modat22

Quote from: Coon on December 06, 2005, 10:55:46 PM
I fly a ultralight helicopter that I built myself.  It is derived from the G-1 by Vortech.  I have added skids and a bigger engine to the original plans as well as added a few exta braces that the plans never called for.  It is built out of steel rather than tha alluminum that the plans called for.

Did you manage to keep its ultralight status with the modifications you made? I was looking at gyrocopters a couple years ago but couldn't find an ultralight that could carry 250 pounds of modat. Miss Moose liked the RAF2000 but it was a bit too expensive for me 25k.
remember man that thy are dust.

Murf

Fly a bunch of different stuff, the whole family flies so I have lots to mooch, errr, I mean fly.  ;D

I'm like Victor Kiam and Remington shavers "I liked it so much, I bought the company.". I made my flying pursuit complete last year when some friends and I bought the local airport.

www.baldwinairport.ca

My next goal is either a Van's RV-10 or a Diamond DA-40 ...pending approval from Doctor and SWMBO ......  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

fstedy

Norm
Nice looking airplane I always liked Piper good stable flying and reliable. All the red tape sure takes the fun out of flying thats a big reason I got out of comercial flying. It doesn't make much sense when your flying a STOL aircraft and ATC send you 50 miles out of your way to get in line and land on a 10,000' runway. You could land  that Twin Otter in under 500'.

Murf
Nice little field been up that way several times to the Dehaviland factory. Good luck with the FBO I know its a labor of love and not for the money. Grass roots is where the fun is in aviation now. I don't know where General Aviation would be without EAA great folks.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Coon

Quote from: Modat22 on December 07, 2005, 09:06:04 AM
Did you manage to keep its ultralight status with the modifications you made? I was looking at gyrocopters a couple years ago but couldn't find an ultralight that could carry 250 pounds of modat. Miss Moose liked the RAF2000 but it was a bit too expensive for me 25k.

I did keep the ultralight status but it wasn't very easy with the weight of steel.  I had to do alot of remanufacturing on the copter when I put the engine on because I was a little over-weight.

When i got the frame integrity inspection done Transport Canada was very shocked at the way it was built. but I had to redo my motor mounts as they were not satisfied with the way I had designed them.  I then went on to use the motor mounts from the Geo that I got the engine from.  They were more than happy then.

With my calculations and from what Transport Canada said, I should have atleast 700 lbs of lift capacity. ;D

Modat22

Coon, in the even of a engine failer can you switch the rotor into autorotation like a gyrocopter and still land safely? I was wondering about this for awhile on the ultralight copters.

Coon

Yes, the top rotor will freespin in the event of an engine failure.  I have even tested it out, but it wasn't by choice. :o :o

crtreedude

Coon,

Explain the this autorotation stuff - it will land you in one piece? (Assuming of course you aren't over something nasty...)

Inquiring minds want to know - and so does my wife!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Modat22

Crtreedude, this would be an easier explanation.

http://www.copters.com/pilot/autorotation.html

It works though, auto gyros don't even have a driven rotor, they are pushed like a swamp boat, the rotor free spins and creates lift.

Coon

I have my top rotor driven off of the engine with a belt drive clutching system taken off an old snowmobile.  When the engine stalls out the rotor will continue to spin freely without the belt being driven by the engine.  The rotor is also what they call "fixed pitch" which means that you your steering is accomplished by shifting your weight in seat of the copter.  To steer it up or down the seat moves ahead or back.  To steer to one side or the other you simply shift your weight in the seat in the direction you want to go.  At the same time as you are steering you also accelerate or decelerate. :)

Murf

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

DanG

Fred, in the Army's copter school, we did many, many practice autorotations.  It really does work, IF ya do it right. :D   We weren't allowed to do them without an instructor on board.  At the airfield, we would go all the way to a landing, but out in the field, we would do a power recovery.  Almost every time I flew with an instructor, he would unexpectedly cut the power and I'd have to have a landing spot picked out and make an approach to it.  He would usually bring the power back up when we were about 200' above the ground.  

Helicopters are great, but can be extremely dangerous if you don't have sufficient training.  If you do, though, and are ALWAYS on your toes, there is no excuse for anyone to ever get hurt.  Part of being on your toes is to never fly where you don't have a suitable landing area available.  Another part is to never run out of airspeed, altitude, or ideas at the same time. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

crtreedude

I would definitely go for the training! You see, I tend to think the roads here (and the Tico drivers) are more dangerous than a helicopter...  ::)

Nothing I am going to do for a year or two, but after...

crtreedude

Besides, it will probably take a year or two to convince someone...  ;D

Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

woodbowl

Quote from: Coon on December 07, 2005, 02:34:39 PM
The rotor is also what they call "fixed pitch" which means that you your steering is accomplished by shifting your weight in seat of the copter. To steer it up or down the seat moves ahead or back. To steer to one side or the other you simply shift your weight in the seat in the direction you want to go. At the same time as you are steering you also accelerate or decelerate. :)

Coon, I didn't realize that the G-1 was all weight shift control. How do you feel about that?  My UL Eagle was weight shift and was uncomfortable untill I got used to it. I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of a weight shift helicopter. I have pulled up the Vortech site http://www.prismz.com/helio/ and clicked on the G-1. I can not find any info about the weight shift.  You mentioned that:
Quote from: Coon on December 07, 2005, 02:34:39 PM
To steer it up or down the seat moves ahead or back.
It doesn't have a collective? How does sliding the seat ahead or back cause it to rise?

Coon

Quote from: woodbowl on December 07, 2005, 08:02:14 PM
Coon, I didn't realize that the G-1 was all weight shift control. How do you feel about that? My UL Eagle was weight shift and was uncomfortable untill I got used to it. I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of a weight shift helicopter. I have pulled up the Vortech site http://www.prismz.com/helio/ and clicked on the G-1. I can not find any info about the weight shift. You mentioned that: It doesn't have a collective? How does sliding the seat ahead or back cause it to rise?

No the G-1 does not have a collective.  When building the copter I had to ballance the complete unit.  It had to be ballanced for a certain weight category.  To balance it I hung the copter from an overhead hoist and had to figure out wether it needed more weight in the front or back or whichever side.  The copter is ballanced for anyone between the weight of about 175 lbs - 200lbs with the seat in the middle position.  The seat is from a Geo and has the same system as it did in the car except that the handle for moving it back and forth has been extended to be used as a hand control.  To go higher you simply slide your seat back and accelerate.  Once you get to your hight you back off on your throttle about 400 RPM and move your seat back to the neutral or middle position.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!