iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any other pilots out there

Started by jargo432, May 30, 2014, 01:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Good luck with it, Marty. I'm sure you'll do fine.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

MartyParsons

Hello,
Check ride was canceled on Thursday. I did take it Friday. It went well until I made an error on soft field take off . I went up to the hold short line. Put in 10 degree flaps. Stopped decided that was not correct. Put in full flaps   hit the throttle as you know that was the end of the check ride. I am very very thankful I did not do this and hurt my self or others. Two lessons, Use the Check List provided in the POH. Second lesson never ever try to take off under full flaps and as a bonus I understand why. I also understand when in a landing configuration and decide to do a Balk landing or go a around that full flaps need to be removed, slowly and why!
As you know when in full flaps and full throttle the tail slammed the runway and the check ride was over.
I am hoping I can ask the CFI if I can get one hour lesson. I still am unsure about the flair on landing.  I am working on my emotions because I have to many things I am not real sure about.
After the test my instructor and I did 5 more touch and go at that field. I am also not clear on the constant rpm prop. I am learning.

Just like anything else you need to have a operators manual, understand how to read it. Don't be afraid to use it when unsure . Have a check list, if anything is not correct as the check list says. Fix it or find out from others why. Don't rely on memory. The CFI asked me right before I hit the throttle if he could see the check list. HINT! I did look at it for a second. It said nothing about Soft Field take off. ( Same as performance take off or close). His advice and clear recommendation was to USE Your CHECK LIST always don't ever rely on memory even if you have done it a thousand times before today.

I hope this helps us all!

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

plowboyswr

I am by no means a pilot but I did get a chance to fly.  One of the ladies at work got cancer and as a fundraiser they raffled off some donated items one of which was a plane ride with lunch for three people. I ended up winning it, took my wife and oldest daughter.  The owner of the plane is a coworker and he picked us up at a little grass strip of a neighbor's. About 10 minutes into our flight Bryan looks at me and says," are you ready to fly this thing?" I of course said NO!  He then said ,"well you're going to have to because I have to take pictures." He then lets go of the controls and reaches for his camera, yep I instantly grabbed the controls thinking we were about to die all while Bryan is laughing like a mad man. I then realized that we were in no danger. He then started telling me how to watch the heading and the altitude. I then flew us to our destination where he landed us and we had a good meal and he flew us home. Had a good time

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

John Mc

Sorry to hear it, Marty. Some examiners will give you credit for things already done correctly when you retake the exam. Also, you know what to expect now, which should help a bit with the nerves.

I had forgotten about the constant speed prop in the Cardinal. That's one more thing for a student pilot to take in - and one of the reasons the 150/152 and 172 were so popular for training aircraft - one less thing to maintain, and one less thing for a student to learn. (As mentioned earlier, I own a 172, converted to 180 HP. I tdo think the 180HP Cardinals are nicer aircraft, but it's a bit more to learn.)

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

MartyParsons

Hello,
Tomorrow is retest day. Looks like the weather will be good.
I was out two weeks ago to take the test in some wind. 17 - 25 mph  It was a good thing the examiner was not expecting me. ( Long Story)
The ride home was exciting to say the least. All went well on the trip. I am feeling a little more comfortable being PIC. ( Pilot In Command)
The examiner was discussing Bold Pilots and Old pilots with me before I departed the airport.  His statement that there are no Old Bold Pilots.    He had my attention.

He asked me if I was capable of making a safe trip back.

On the trip back I did see the Air Speed indicator bounce in the yellow a few times when the wind gust would come against the plane. There was also air coming in around the doors at times.

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

John Mc

So by this point, I assume you are familiar with the concept of maneuvering speed, and slowing to at or below that speed in turbulent air.  Also note that maneuvering speed goes DOWN the more lightly loaded you are. Not sure if the examiner will expect a student pilot to know that level of detail. Some of the manuals just give one speed - assuming you are loaded up to the max gross weight, others have a table with different speeds.

Another aviation saying for you, useful when you are debating about whether the conditions are good enough to fly:  It's better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air, wishing you were on the ground.

Good luck with the check ride, Marty. Stick with it. Most examiners are not looking to fail you, and your experience with him giving you a little hint is not unusual. It's OK to stop and look at a checklist to remind yourself of the proper procedure - especially when you are still sitting on the ground.  The stuff you really ought to have memorized are the emergency procedures - things like best glide speed, the sequence to go through in an engine out or fire, etc.

pine

Good luck tomorrow Marty.  You will do fine.  Take a deep breath and breathe.

MartyParsons

QuoteIt's better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air, wishing you were on the ground.

When I arrived I fueled up the plane before the test. He was there and waiting for me to finish. He came up and said I did not know you would be here. ? I said I think I have the date correct. I got the phone out and showed him the text he sent me.
I said no big deal. I got out of the office and had a good trip. He then said do you want to review anything? I said I am like a sponge. We went into the lounge and he was reviewing the statements you have above and the other statement.
I asked him how many times he was involved in a incident. He told me a story about hitting an Bald Eagle and it smashing the exhaust shut on the engine. I think he said this was just this year.
Again long story with a good ending.  I understand it could of had different results with out his experience on what to do in emergency situations. The engine would idle and had no power.

Va 2500# 102KIAS  2100#  93KIAS 1700# 83KIAS

I wish I could say I fully understand this. I am aware of this.

When turning final to land on the 2200 ' strip with the wind sock blowing down 24. There are also trees right at the end and a road. ( preferred landing is on 6) so I did not have much experience coming in over the trees and dropping in to land. My approach was high and little faster than normal ( my theory was if I need to do go around or chose another  location to land I could)  Full flaps and everything worked out as expected bleed the speed off and a nice landing with out even a bump. Lots of runway left.
Not sure if this was bold. I am sure the performance of the plane was within range. Not sure if the pilot experience was enough.
I was praying on down wind.

Marty

edkemper

I've been watching the ads for the new movie about Frances Gary Powers when he was shot down in the then highest flying jet. He survived getting shot down, jailed as a spy and then traded for another prisoner so he could return to the U.S.

Many years later, he flew out of San Fernando Valley (Southern CA) for a news station. He died when he ran out of fuel and crashed into a plowed field. He thought he was going to make it home.

Often, the new pilots are the safest. Have fun.
Old Man

MartyParsons

Hello,
It has been determined that I meet the performance standards set forth by the FAA to become a Private pilot in a Single Engine Land category.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I started this journey in 2011.

I did pass the test today.

It does not mean studying and learning is over. It really has just begun.

As Jason Schappert from MzeroA states.  "A good pilot is always learning."

Marty

Magicman

Congratulations my Friend.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Way to go Marty. Now you can "fly off the handle" too.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

John Mc

Congrats, Marty!  Have fun with it.

pine

Good show Marty.  :)
Glad all went well.
Welcome to the ranks of the "certificated pilot". 
May many more ratings be in your future and much fun and enjoyment.

pineywoods

Congratulations sir. Now set yourself a goal to fly into the Oshkosh, Wi airport during the last week of July. It's an experience like no other anywhere...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sandhills

MartyParsons

Hello,
QuoteNow set yourself a goal to fly into the Oshkosh, Wi airport during the last week of July.

What is Oshkosh?   I need to do a search.

Thanks for the thumbs up.

Marty

Magicman

QuoteI need to do a search
Yes you do.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

~Ron

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Airventue (a.k.a. Oshkosh) is the worlds largest gathering of general aviation aircraft. As a pilot, it's something you ought to experience at least once.

However, I would not recommend trying to fly in there durning then main event as a relatively new pilot. Consider bringing along another highly experienced pilot with you or fly into another airport in the area and take the shuttle to Osh. (I think it was Fon du Lax that I flew in to - set up a tent under my wing and slept there)

Magicman

flyboy16101

Congrats Marty!
I started flying in 2006 but ran out of money before 2007 😒 and before I could finish my license. But after high school a friend of the family talked me into joining the Air Force and after a couple years of haing no idea where I was going or what I was doing my they made me a flight engineer on a C-130h. Now I get to fly around and look at all the wood lots and sawmills in the area and they even pay me for it 😀
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

MartyParsons

Thanks Flyboy,

I was looking at your age!   And you are in Pennsylvania!  We also love Farmall we use a Farmall 300 everyday!

Now if we could work something out with the C130. I could load with equipment and not have so much windshield time.
Can you land that C130 on a 2200' grass strip? Just thinking about a short field take off fully loaded?  :o With a 50" OBS
I looked it up and found this story.

http://www.wingsoverkansas.com/alford/a833/

Marty

AK Newbie

LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Thank You Sponsors!