iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any other pilots out there

Started by jargo432, May 30, 2014, 01:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Quote from: John Mc on October 28, 2015, 07:19:13 PM
Airventue (a.k.a. Oshkosh) is the worlds largest gathering of general aviation aircraft. As a pilot, it's something you ought to experience at least once.

However, I would not recommend trying to fly in there durning then main event as a relatively new pilot. Consider bringing along another highly experienced pilot with you or fly into another airport in the area and take the shuttle to Osh. (I think it was Fon du Lax that I flew in to - set up a tent under my wing and slept there)

Agreed, every pilot should experience it if possible. Actually, it's not as hairy as you would think, just different. Experience ain't much help, the book goes out the window, replace by a lot of common sense. Radio proceedures are short and simple. More experienced pilots who are "set in their ways" are usually the ones who have problems. Just mind boggling to see  8 or more short approaches going on simultaneously.  Sandwich a few departures into that mix and it is truly "different". The advice I got was 3 short statements...Monitor the tower radio, do what you are told, don't do nothing stupid... Some traffic gets diverted to Fondulac and Appleton, but it's not because of the traffic density, they litterally run out of parking space for 10,000 airplanes..You can buy audio tapes containing 30 minutes or so of the tower chatter, listening to that is an education in itself.In one of the classic segments, the tower says" J3 just touching down on 27, left turn off the runway into the grass NOW, there's a barron touching down right behind you.
The fun really starts when you get parked and tied down...Don't even think about a 1 day trip...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

flyboy16101

Marty, 2200 ft is a possibility maybe we can work something out how much would you give me on trade for an lt40 super?
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

John Mc

Quote from: pineywoods on November 01, 2015, 12:00:09 AM
Agreed, every pilot should experience it if possible. Actually, it's not as hairy as you would think, just different. Experience ain't much help, the book goes out the window, replace by a lot of common sense.

It's not the understanding of the procedures that concerns me with a low-time pilot. It's the ability to do spot landings in what can be a high-stress situation. Someone with just a couple dozen hours in their logbook after getting their certificate has likely not been exposed to much, and sometimes just flying the plane can lead to information overload. If it's still taking all your concentration to pull off a smooth landing (for example) when you are out on your own, then you ought to be bringing along some help the first time you try to land at Osh when it's in full swing. Pulling off a spot landing as a new pilot is one thing. Pulling it off when there is an aircraft ahead of you and one behind you all landing simultaneously on the same runway can be quite distracting (even if the runway is 3+ times as long as what you are used to).

When I flew in to Fon du Lac, I was late enough in the event that there were no spots left at Oshkosh. I wanted a place to camp by the plane, and appreciated the (relative) quiet of Fon du Lac after tromping around Osh all day. As a bonus, Fon du Lac had demo rides in Gyrocopters going on, so I got my 0.4 hours of rotorcraft time in early one evening.

Some years later, I flew out with one of my former flight students who wanted the Osh experience. I let him do as much as he could handle, and was just there for the times that he was getting overloaded. He didn't need much help from me, but he did say that having an extra pair of eyes, and someone to step in if needed lowered the stress level for him - which made it easier for him to handle as much as he did.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Theo

I am also an pilot since 2010

I have an Piper Colt that I import from USA  N553Z  now C-GTOH in Canada

Keep inside in an hangar at Valcourt Airport CSQ3  in Quebec Canada

My local airport is just 5 miles from my Ranch 

futur goal is to make my trips to Ohio with my plane,, but I guess I will need some more experience to cross US border and maybe an faster plane (Cherokee is my target)

Theo

HUD-SON and Range-Road & KASCO Canada Dealer

John Mc

Theo -

Where in Ohio are you planning on going? I used to live in NW Ohio (Fostoria, south of Toledo). A favorite flight was to Put-In-Bay or Kelly's Island, two islands in the west end of Lake Erie.

I made the trip into Canada a couple of times. It's a bit nerve-wracking the first couple of times, wondering if I'd screw something up and bring down the wrath of Customs and Border Patrol. I found that the folks at AOPA and their online resources were very helpful in figuring out how to do international border crossing in a private aircraft.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Theo

Hello

I deal with Amish (with my haflinger horses) close to Wooster ohio   (Wayne County)

first step to an fly in US is cleat border, so land in an big airport like Burlington VT or Watertown NY

Would also like to fly to local airport when I go see Hud-Son forest equipment ,, again need clear the borther first  :-\

I have no big experience fly in high controled zone

Theo

John Mc

Theo -

Talk to the folks at the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (COPA). They've got some write-ups about cross-border operations. You have to be a member to get access to their best stuff.

The best suggestion I have for you is to have another pilot along with you who has done the boarder crossing before. Even better, find a flight instructor to go with you and turn it into an extended lesson on international operations.

I live about 20 miles south of the Burlington Airport. As tower controlled airports go, it's not particularly intimidating. In Vermont, Newport (KEFK) and Franklin County (KFSO) airports have customs facilities available on an "on-call" basis, and neither of those airports have control towers. I have no idea how much it might cost to have a customs agent meet you there.

Watertown, NY airport is non-towered, and I believe has customs facilities open 7 days a week. You may find that less intimidating than dealing with Burlington's control tower, if you are not used to controlled airports.

John Mc

Theo -

I just got this link in an email from Pilot Workshops with an overview of what you need to know when crossing the border from the US into Canada (and back). It may be helpful.
http://www.pilotworkshop.com/tips/pilot_crossing_canada.htm

My recollection from 10 or more years ago was that AOPA had much more in-depth information on their website, but I haven't looked at it in quite some time.

sandhills

Sorry I can't help a bit with the flying but sure would like to hear more about the halflingers, maybe in a new thread?  :)

Theo

Yes I own Grison Haflinger, and have sold over 500 Haflinger horses the last 25 years

timberlinetree

Not a pilot but worked at the airport. Made it to lead marshel for parking planes and did many other things. I liked warming my hands in the winter while chaulking the plane. That air start unit was really neat. It was really nice to sit in a brand new 757. We mostly loaded DC 8's. It was a fun job while in high school. The two things I remember most are:

Durning the summer when thunder storms hit JFK planes got diverted to our airport. You could tell by the line of big planes coming in(747,L10-11 and the CONCORD). Saw it twice and once almost crash. An L10-11 just landed and was still on the runway as the CONCORD was on approach. I can will see the glow from the engines when he floored it and went back up. That was something!

My little clam to fame was helping to end the cold war. Russia had a bad earthquake and I helped load the plane with relief supplies. On of my jobs that day was to stick Amria-cares stickers everywhere for the TV crews. It was the first relief plane to Russia showing the world we care and thus ending the cold war.( at lease that's the way I saw it).
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Coffee_Creek

been doing it since 1979, built a RV-9A, still flying it, flown across the US several times.

MartyParsons

Hello,
    Got a chance to get out. First trip to a destination with Lisa. Lunch Date.

Lots of big white clouds forming when we arrived at the airport. We did not hang around long. Real black to the West when we were doing our departure.
Little rain on the windshield. 

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Hiway40frank

Both me and my dad are, he got his ppl when he was only 15. Havent touched a plane in years, flying is a very expensive hobbie.

MartyParsons

1979 182 Q.  Owner I rent from keeps selling the airplanes, which keeps me learning. Working on ILS approaches and talking to flight service.  Thankful for ANR head set.

Fog in Path Valley Pennsylvania.

Not on my list. Jumping out of a perfect airworthy airplane?  Mifflin County Airport.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Foxfarm

Wow
Where does the time go? Started my lessons with my dad in a 1946 Aeronca Chief on skis when I was thirteen. Got my license when I turned eighteen. Bought my first airplane when I was nineteen it was a 1946 Aeronca Champ on floats, skis and wheels. Sold it in 1992 so my dad and I could partner up in a 1967 Cessna 185 (the one in the picture.) To date I have logged over 1200 hours in that old 185 and have over 1800 hours total time. I have a saying
(anybody can get a pilot license but only certain people love to fly) Thanks for putting up with my trip down memory lane.

woodshax

I don't know how these things stay in the air...their wings don't even spin around to keep them aloft.  If you are not beating the air into submission, you are not having fun.  If they are not shooting at you, you are not really scared.

SawyerTed

It's been 15 or so years since I got my PPL.  Flew a Cessna 150 and 172. Decided those things were like jon boats of the air, too small to suit me.  The children were getting ready for college and the expense of moving to anything larger prevented me from continuing.  I miss it sometimes.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

John Mc

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 14, 2018, 09:05:17 AM
It's been 15 or so years since I got my PPL.  Flew a Cessna 150 and 172. Decided those things were like jon boats of the air, too small to suit me.  The children were getting ready for college and the expense of moving to anything larger prevented me from continuing.  I miss it sometimes.
We haven't been flying our Cessna 172 enough lately to justify owning it. We've talked about selling, but my wife (also a pilot) and I know that once we do, we'll most likely never own another plane, so we have resisted so far. I've kept up my Flight Instructor's Certificate on the chance that one or both of my kids will be interested in learning, but I am not instructing actively at this time.

woodshax

My last flight was 2005 in Iraq.....I miss it,   Heck I was born when my dad was going through Army helicopter flight training in Texas and that is all I ever did growing up......can't pass the commercial flight physical and renting is too *DanG expensive

Ron Scott

Soloed in a 1941 Taylor craft in El Cajon, CA in 1954. Loved this Mooney Mite.

~Ron

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Is that you in the plane Ron?
Pretty neat!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ron Scott

Yes, many years ago. Had my private license and use to fly quite a bit.
~Ron

dogone

I have been a crop duster and bush pilot. Owned an ag-wagon and a beaver. Didn't fly for years but recently bought a c170 with 180 hp convert and wheel skis. There was money to be made in the dusting business but floatplane work has really dropped off here. Just enjoy flying around looking out the window and taking friends up.

John Mc

One of these days, I'm going to have to fly out to one of the Pig roasts. If there is an airport close enough, maybe I'll give some rides and/or take some of the pilots who have been away from it for a while up for a flight.

Thank You Sponsors!