iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First cuttings

Started by repmma, April 27, 2012, 09:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

repmma

Finally broke down and bought a Thomas 8020.  Couldn't wait to get it setup and start by cutting some hemlock into 2x8's and 2x4's for a friend.  Got along ways to go but with 131 acres and hopefully another 40+ years to go I might figure it out. 

Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

123maxbars

NICE HEMLOCK!! I would kill for some hemlock logs around here, getting hard to find,

Nice sawmill, the journey begins,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

wood monger

Congrats on the mill, and welcome to the forum. Bill.

Magicman

Congratulations on the new sawmill and drawing "first sawdust".   :)   And Welcome to posting.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

repmma.....now you've done! There is NO cure for sawdust fever.

Nice pics, VERY nice looking mill and of course.....WELCOME TO THE FORUM!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JohnM

Congrats repmma! 8)  I was just down in Brooks last month looking at that mill.  Still trying to figure out finances and what exactly I want to do with my mill (my imaginary mill :() but that one is definitely on the short list.

And welcome to the forum!

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

repmma,you don't have a Heatmor OWB do you? Reason I ask,I have a Thomas 6020,20hp Honda with a 20 foot track,I have the same winch and a NH tractor.  I'm sawing hemlock too. Welcome to the forum. How many HP is your ford?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Knute

Congratulations! You will have a lot of fun with that mill.

Chuck White

Repmma; Congratulations on the mill and the start of a sawing carreer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Okrafarmer

Well, anotha' one from Maine. Ayuh. Welcome!  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

repmma

Quote from: thecfarm on April 27, 2012, 10:12:37 PM
repmma,you don't have a Heatmor OWB do you? Reason I ask,I have a Thomas 6020,20hp Honda with a 20 foot track,I have the same winch and a NH tractor.  I'm sawing hemlock too. Welcome to the forum. How many HP is your ford?

No on the Heatmor, but I can see how an OWB would be handy with these slabs!  The Ford is 63hp PTO, spent less on that then I would have for a light weight 40hp JD.  A forestry trailer with loader is my next dream purchase.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Tree Feller

Congrats on the new mill. Sawing is fun and extremely addictive.   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

dboyt

Greetings from Missouri!  Great way to use logs from timber stand improvement cuttings.  Is your place set up as a tree farm?  Looks like you're getting the knack of it.  Just be careful about promising friends and relatives too many boards.  I've always got a backlog of freebies to cut.  Have you seen Sawmill & Woodlot Management magazine? I've got to give them a plug, since they're a sponsor, and I write for them?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

thecfarm

Don't be afraid to burn those hemlock slabs is a wood stove. I use to do it. Coals down good can still control the fire.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

repmma

dboyt, no my place is not setup with tree farm "status".  At least not presently.  But my goal is to do some improvement cuts and try to develop a better stand for hardwood and pine, depending on the location on the property.  Biggest thing is getting the fir cut and or thinned, its moving well past its prime. 

As far as the Sawmill & Woodlot magazine, I bought the CD of old issues and have a present subscription.  One of my favorites!! 

thecfarm

repmma,where in Maine are you? Most of my fir don't grow good. I had some real nice looking stuff but for the most part most times it gets about 6 inches though and breaks off about 2 feet high and falls over. I don't think nothing about cutting them down now. Makes real  good fodder for the OWB.

cutterboy

Hey repmma, sawing is fun isn't it? Looks like you've got a good start, lumber looks good. I've never sawed hemlock but I have a few trees that would make some good sized logs. Sooner or later I'll get them.

Happy sawing, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

repmma

I'm down in Freedom, I wouldn't say all of my fir are perfectly solid but neither is it all pulpwood.  If trucking and the mills could be a little bit more reliable I'd just cut out the rough stuff and send it to the mill but I already have some pine pulp taking up space! 

Okrafarmer

Repmma, I grew up in Clinton and know some people from the Freedom/Unity/Thorndike/Albion area. One of my friends in Unity, I visited this past winter. They have a fair number of fir that are in the 10-12 inch range. I told them they need to get them cut fast before they die.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!