iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol chainmill

Started by psychotic1, January 14, 2002, 07:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psychotic1

Hi everbody.
I don't know beans about milling or loggin'  but that's why I've come here.  to learn.
been reading your back posts and enjoying them thouroughly (I think)

I've noticed however, nobody talks about the Logosol chainsaw mill.
As I've been looking through the websites etc over the past couple of weeks, it seems it will satisfy my needs best.  Does anybody have any experience with these?  Please huh?

Bruce
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Tom

Welcome to the forestry forum, Bruce.

I'm sure somebody must kow about Logosol.........Ha.....if not then you may become our resident expert. :D

psychotic1

Oh, I hope not.

It's gonna be a year or more before I can get one. :o :o

Tom

That's plenty of time to be the expert.........besides you'll need something to do while you wait for it to keep from going crazy.   :D

It's hard to wait a year for a sawmill, right DanG?

Just looked at your profile, Bruce.  South East Alaska !!!

What's in South East Alaska !!!

psychotic1

In my personal case, a whole lot of fish.
I work for a cold storage here in Ketchikan, and we headed/gutted/froze and shipped about 11 million pounds of salmon this year.
And back before the evil environmentalists (no, not all of them are bad) we used to have a pulp mill, and still do have a sawmill (if it doesn't go bankrupt from poor management).

It's only 7:30 here, and 36 degrees (above) and it never gets above 80 in the summer.  But with 185 inches of rain last year, it is awful wet.
Lots and lots of hemlock, alder, spruce, and cedar (red&yellow)  and the state will give me 10,000 bdf a year (in the tree, I think) just because I live here.   Four deer a year (they are small) and all the halibut and shrimp I can catch.  If you can stand the rain, it's a slice of heaven

Bruce

Tom

OH-h-h-h-h, Ketchikan.  I know somebody that lives in Ketchikan.

Warm winters, deer, trees, fish........sounds like a place I would like to visit.  You're going to get a lot of questions about where you live so I hope you hang around enough to answer them.

When the rest of the members see this tomorrow be prepared for a flood of questions :)

psychotic1

I'll stick around..  It's the slow season at the fish plant, so I've got time on my hands.  One of the reasons I want a mill.  I work 15-18 hour days in the summer (july through sept) and then get 3-4 months off in the winter.  Can use the exercise, and would love to work some wood. 8)

Tom

Well you are in the right place.  We all love to work wood also.  Some are into sawing and others are into woodworking and Lathe work and we have teachers and ex-teachers and prison guards and Foresters and all manner of interesting folks.  You'll enjoy it,  I promise.  

I look forward to our having a long and rewarding relationship.  Again, Welcome.  Make your visits frequent. :)

Tillaway

Hey psycho,

Ketchican, boy do I know it well.  I have worked up there off and on for many years.  So you want to take advantage of your 10,000 feet.  It's net stumpage, I think (in the trees, not what comes off your mill).  I believe its for personal use only but I also could be wrong there.  I have worked in or around, all of POW, Annette Island... yep right across from Mountain Point... literally, Mitkoff, Chichigof, Admiralty, Edna Bay, Kupreanof, Wrangell area, Deer Island and some Islands I can't remember at this time. ::)  Keep your eyes pealed for a used mill to turn up out on POW.  I know that there are two or three small mills out there but no Logosol.

My honest opinion would be to purchase a mill like the Lucas or Peterson.  These are very well suited for Alaska.  A Logosol would be far to limited in its capabilities to handle the big Red Cedar and Sitka Spruce.  The Logosol was designed , to my knowledge, to handle little logs such as you would find in Scandinavia.  Not the kind logs you would find up there.

If you have more questions let me know. (I can zero you in on some Yellow Cedar logs.  Tough to get but may be worth it.)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

psychotic1

Thanks tillaway

More than a few mills on Prince of Wales.  And likely to be going down since the pulp mill got shut down. But I'm pretty sure they're mostly medium stationary circle mills. (though I could be wrong).  In fact, I noticed a used WM for sale in the local paper just last week...  But as your aware, I need something truly portable. (as in carrying it on my back). I like the looks of the peterson mill, and wouldn't mind getting one, but as this is mostly going to be a hobby (toy) mill, can't really justify the expense.  Have looked at the Alaska mills for years, but just couldn't convince myself I wanted to work that hard for the lumber.  Not that it won't be work, but I'd rather turn a crank than push any day.
The 10,000 is definitely for personal use only.  In fact if you use it to build a house, you can't sell the house for ten years, or something like that.  I've been told I can get my 10M cut and milled on shares for half on POW.  If so, that only leaves the cost of a short barge trip from Thorne Bay to K-town, which is minimal.  If true, I don't really need a mill for dimensional lumber, but I could still use it to cut beams and the occasional salvage log from the beach. Later, when I'm rich,  :D  I'll look into a Peterson or Lucas.  I really like the shot of the peterson up on that Big Wood.  would like to have that kind of problem some day.

Ps.  all this talk of cherry and red oak makes me jealous.

bruce

DanG

Hey PsychoBubba!   Never heard of a Logosol(sounds like something you would take for a cold) mill, so I ain't much of a help.  How many dogs would it take to drag one of them big Cedars out on a sled? :D

Why don't you come to Florida for that time off? I could use a good off-bearer, and the pay's good.  Can o' peas a day, and all the fish you can bring with you. ;D

Drag up a stump and set a spell. Us new guys can use some reinforcement, among all these gin-u-wine ex-spurts around here. Welcome aboard.

Yeah, Tom. It's tough to wait for a year, but you get used to it after 15 years, or so. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

psychotic1

Thanks for the offer Dan, but I did most of a year in Florida while I was in the Navy, and I promised myself I'd never go back.
 It's way to hot down there for me.  And pullin' 2X12 all day on a can of peas just don't sound like much fun. :D
We don't run too may dogs around here, there just ain't enough snow.  We got about 15 inches a couple of weeks ago, but it melted off by the weekend.  Course, then it rained all weeden long.
We do get some pretty good sized trees around, but most of what I can get to easily (by skiff) is second or third growth, so it isn't all that impressive.  They do tend to grow nice and straight though.

www.logosolusa.com

bruce

Tillaway

Well head on out to POW.  Plenty of big wood you can drop right on the road.  Forget about finding any big Red Cedar though.  Everybody beat you to the easy ones.   :o

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey Bruce,

You may want to check out a thread about the swingblade mills which I started not long ago.  (Lucas, Peterson, BrandX)

One thing that none of us know about you is what periferal equipment you bring to the job.  (No, I'm not trying to get personal, now.)  If you have tractors, fork lift, etc.,  that makes quite a difference.  The swingblades are great for anything in the medium to large range.  With the Logosol, as you know already, you have to bring the logs to the deck.

In the last three weeks or so, I have been intensely "cramming" before jumping beyond what I have now.  Any type of chain-based milling is less efficient, but is more economical, as far as the initial investment is concerned.  For example,  my Stihl 090 and Alaskan 36" frame by Granberg, is a $1,300.00 approach.  Your Logosol is, what... a few clicks above that.  Keep in mind that both Peterson and Lucas offer slabbers that will flat-out embarrass a Logosol.  For example,  Peterson 60" slabber with 20 h.p. on the chain!  It runs on the same track as their swingblade.  I can't imagine how much saw dust that thing'll fling!

We are probably doing the same thing, trying to match our interests, existing equipment, finances, time availability, etc. with a product that matches.  What I hope to do is to combine the slabbing capability I have now with the swingblade's capability to flexibly cut mucho dimension and quarter sawn lumber.
Phil L.

P.S.  Also, take a look at Big and Weird.  Need your feedback.  You gotta' work for yer keep around here!
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

psychotic1

The only other  equipment I've got is a 16 foot skiff and  a stihl 041 for falling.  But!  transport isn't all that bad as once I get the logs to the ocean, the skiff will tow them home.  I've got a piece of beachfront on Gravina Island (just across a channel from town) and I can use the tides to put individual logs an a homemade trailer and deck them up.
that's why I plan on salvaging logs from the beach.  Bad news is sand and rocks, so I'll be needing a pressure washer.  Just what we need around here, more water.  The logosol runs about $3400 with a stihl 066 with bar and chain included.  Plus delivery(which is never cheap when your on an island).  Whereas the 6" perterson is $6400 plus delivery from NZ.  Since I don't plan on doing any cutting for hire, I need to keep the cost low.  The other side is that the powerhead on the peterson is about 3 1/2 to 4 feet wide (guessing from web pictures).  Even on wheels, that's not gonna fit in my skiff. The logosol also comes ready to cut a 16 foot log, which is something I want  to be able to do.  I ain't planning on moving too many of them around by hand, but it would be nice if necessary.

And no Tillaway, I'm not gonna tow them all the way from POW.  But at least there's roads over there.

Eggsander

Psychotic, have you looked at the Peterson Log Locust, it's a 6" mill that uses a chainsaw powerhead. Definately not the power of the 4 strokes, but much lighter and I think they're in the mid 4k range.
Man, too warm in Alaska to go ice fishin', what a drag. :( A buddy of mine was up there for the salmon run last summer (I don't think in your area though). I gotta make that trip someday.
Steve

Tillaway

Chicken... heh heh heh ;D ;D ;D :D 8)

psychotic1

Well, eggsander,  they have a version of ice fishing way up north, but I don't think I want to try it...
The inuit and esquimaux (yeah, that's the correct spelling of eskimo) wait until November/December when the bering sea is starting to freeze over, and take their boats out and go iceberg hopping for polar bears and seals.  I've heard tales of bergs breaking apart and people getting trapped for a couple of days at a time.  Not this kid!!!!

I did see the locust, and it seemed to me to be a wash... powered by the same motor, but since I want to make 1/2"X12" for house siding, I would constantly have to make double cuts, since the slabber (extra money) doesn't fit on the locust mill. (I think)

Once I get my house built, ya'll gonna have a standing invite to come by.  Spring time probably best. and take the ferry.  It's much more fun.

bruce

Eggsander

Yep, no way we're ice fishin' with esquimaux (didn't know they spoke French), that would violate my rule "no fishing or hunting for anything that may potentially eat me".  :o
I see what you're saying on the locust, just thought it could be an option. Until now I milled with my 394 in an Alaskan, and it is definately work, but better than watching good lumber go up the chimney.
Thanks for the invite, but be careful what you wish for. :D
Steve

psychotic1

Yeah, I try to be the only big, hungry thing I'm around too.

Ya'll seem to have the idea that the logosol is stationary.  If you look a little deeper into the website (in the photo gallery) you can see pictures of people lifting them all by themselves.  The framework only weighs 115 pounds or so.   Can't you just see me motoring around in my skiff which is suddenly 16 ft wide as well as long.  :) :D :o

Jeff

We need some pictures of yer skiff haulin logs! That would be great. I take it a skiff is just an deep wide open row boat? All I know is its a boat.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Well, it looks like the first order of business would be to saw up some boards, and build a bigger skiff. ::)  You could even build a barge to haul the logs home.
HEY! Anybody know of a way to put a prop on a Stihl .090, so this guy don't have to buy another motor? :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

psychotic1

Around here, any small outboard powered boat is a skiff.  They range anywhere from 8 foot with 5 horse to 36 foot fishing skiffs with twin 100 horsepower outboards.  They go fast enough that when you hit a chunk of wood in the water, it explains why they call them sunkers  
As for mounting a prop on a motor, my buddy has a prop stuck on a 6foot shaft directly connected to a 16 horse v-twin Briggs and Stratton motor on his 16 foot flat-bottom jon-boat.  It don't go very fast, but it'll run in 6 inches of water with he and I in it.
a barge is definitely on my list of things to build.  acourse, then I'm gonna need some way of getting those logs out ot the water onto the barge... always more engineering.  :)

bruce

DanG

Why not build a "pontoon barge"?  Just a couple of pontoons with a porous deck between them.  Partially flood the pontoons to lower the deck below the floating log, back under it, and pump the water out. Now you gotta find a way to run a pump with your saw. :D :D :D :D

psychotic1

A floating drydock :o :o
plastic 55gal drums, box em in and hang a deck between lines of them.  Pumps are no problem.  With all the boats around here, and the fact that anybody outside the city limits has to catch rainwater and pump their own, pumps are no problem.

Well, there goes my nights sleep :) I gotta go find some graph paper and my pencil.  I go work to do.. :P :P :P

bruce

Thank You Sponsors!