iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poll 'How many leak free years from your boiler?'

Started by chet, December 24, 2014, 11:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Hawken50,welcome to the forum.
I wished I would of got my OWB sooner.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rustymi2

I have CB e-2300, which has been in service since 2009. No leaks, but that would probably be the only thing that has not been replaced or repaired. Do not get me wrong, I love heating with an OWB. Just won't be buying another CB. Leaning towards a Portage and Main 350 optimizer.

lopet

I have a " Friesen built " made in Manitoba. 6th season no issues and no leaks, open system , but I have to mention, that I put it in my old shop and it is actually a " indoor "  unit. I just hate digging wood out of the snow. ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

petefrom bearswamp

9 yrs.
Am now a snow bird and in Florida so will only run OCT Nov DEC and in the spring when I get home.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

woodmills1

10 years free heat machine no leaks, one blower.  the blower was installed with the drip cups flush to the door so I didn't even know they were there.  One stumper was the electric wire in the flexible from the stove to the door, the hot was solid copper and it broke so the thing would run the booster fan sometimes.  Took me three days to find.  I reconnected every thing till the solid conductor felt loose once and I pulled it right out of the weather proof cover.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

tractorhead9542

update! went to fill my boiler last weekend. It was taking an unusual amount of time... After checking it I found water pouring out of the tin!!!!!!!!! I pulled up a lot of the tin and found that there was a hole in the top of the boiler. A rotted out area in 1/4" plate. This unit is only on its third season. Nice hey-
Saws: Stihl 015, 036, MS250 (2), MS362, MS461, MS660. Equipment: Northern 30 ton splitter, Ford 340B, Gehl 3935 skid, 2004 Ford F-350 DRW, and a lot of Allis-Chalmers!

coxy

had our CB 16 years 24/7/365 then it started leaking by the stay pins  the next year it got a few pin holes   then I got it relined and so far 2years with no leaks  we never did any thing with this stove just put water in it when we got it

toolroomguy

I didn't see any comments on a E-2400 but mine has 2 seasons with no problems, and I hope to get many more.

Flyer

30below

Hawkins 1100 and 5 yrs. for first leak, I have burned 100 cord of wood for past 3 yrs. Sprung a leak 12/24/2014 and no help from installer or company and they are not willing to honor 20 yr firebox warranty.  Looking for a repair person or a new model and open to suggestions.  Trying to heat a 3000 sq. ft. old built in 1818 home.  Thanks for your opinions and offers of suggestions! 

beenthere

-30°

Is your Hawkens an outdoor or indoor?

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

15 years with a 1978 Tarm boiler, it was bought and installed for the first time around 2000.

I'll never get as good a deal on a boiler than I got on this one, I paid $1100.00

WmFritz

Quote from: Hilltop366 on September 08, 2015, 12:34:05 PM
15 years with a 1978 Tarm boiler, it was bought and installed for the first time around 2000.

I'll never get as good a deal on a boiler than I got on this one, I paid $1100.00

Tarm is a great company. I installed an ECO in '12 and hope I can get that many years of service.

I paid a good deal more then that.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Just Me

I had a HS Tarm at my old house and it was about 20 years old with no problems that could not be considered maintenance, such as a pump every 5-6 years. But they are over $10 K now, out of my price range at this time.

30 below, had old houses, know your pain, But 33 cord a year! Ouch!

Larry

Logging logginglogging

15 - 17 on my fathers central boiler and 8-10 on mine. Still no leaks on either boiler!!

Bay Beagle

9 years on my "HEATMOR" without any leaks.  Just replaced the 3/4" hose's on the door this week, as a preventive maintenance procedure.

Leslie

I have a central boiler system that began to leak in firebox after 19 months of burning.  Professional welder looked at it and stated poor quality materials used by manufacture caused the burn through.

beenthere

Leslie
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

That statement is easy to say by your welder.  And we don't run down a manufacturer on the forum with such chat.  just sayin....

Lot's of things can cause boilers to leak sooner or later... design, materials, untreated water, firing habits, etc.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stratford 50

2008 e-classic central boiler sprung a leak today!! The leak is on the right side as you face the boiler right where the steel is bent where the fire brick ended. The steel is split about 1 inch vertical, will weld and seal and will report back if this works.

stratford 50

Update on 2300 leak, 2 inches long and horizontal, tried to weld, steel too thin, tried some epoxy repair lasted 36 hours and leaking again. I could send the furnace to Central Boiler for inspection & repair but have opted to purchase a 2400 and hope it will outlast my 2300 which was purchased in 2008.

reswire

Haven't seen any Shaver furnaces yet.  Mine is 4 years old, no problems at all.  Very simple design, maybe too simple.  Seems to be wood hungry, yet it does a great job of heating my old farm house.  I put it in myself, total cost around 6500.  for everything.  I decided if it lasted 6 years, all else is "gravy on the plate". 8)
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

smoothED

I have 4 years on a Earth, Rancher 360. The firebox looks like it's made from a 36" section of pipe,1/2" thick. No leaks, no problems.

Grizzly

Our boiler came with the farm and was installed around 2003. Still going strong and it burned coal for most of its years. We just switched it back to wood.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

bobby s

In my 6th year with Eclassic 2300. No leaks yet. Replace the door gasket every year and usually a solenoid every year or so. That's about it.

dbowling

Going on 9 yrs with my Woodmaster 4400 heating 2500 sq. ft. house, zero problems other then dampener flap on blower motor going bad and low water light went out..ran it year round 1st 3 yrs I owned it, last 6 yrs have been from late Sept till early May..just built a 24x32 shop and thinking about hooking it up to heat it..

Thank You Sponsors!