iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FLattening live edge slabs with CNC router

Started by Downstream, March 21, 2019, 07:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I know  there a few members here that have cnc routers for carving ,but was wondering how many also flatten slabs with them.  I'm not talking high volume but more than just hobby level.  The two I am looking at are Digital Wood Carver or Camaster Stinger 1.  The Stinger is heavier than DWC but that comes with a price difference that Im debating.  I currently flatten with a DIY router sled but would love to have it done by cnc.  I'm looking at cnc for signwork and customized cutting boards.  Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Larry

Not hobby level but might be interesting.

At one time we had a local shop with a Koma cnc that had a table bigger than a tennis court.  Besides flattening/edging he could also machine pockets for counter top draw bolts.  This made it possible to book match slabs and come up with 5' wide table tops.  Pretty cool for us bandmill operators.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Crusarius

Downstream, you ever end up getting a CNC?

Downstream

I did not get one but still research for future purchase possibly.  Life has taken a few crazy twists since this post so I have been side tracked for the time being having sold my sawmill, shop, most live edge slabs,etc. All of my woodworking equipment is sitting in a storage unit for the past 6 months.  That is the short version.

Back to the cnc routers.  With continued research today I would buy either a camaster stinger I  or Axiom Ar6 or 8.  I have seen both operate and they are more heavy duty than most larger tabletop units.  Stinger probably a little more HD than Axiom but both better than most.  Axiom cones std with liquid cooled spindle vs extra cost on stinger.  Also spindle for either requires 220v power so that could help you decide if not available.  I would still like to do slab flattening but more use would be for signs and other customization of woodworking items.  I dropped the digital wood carver because it seemed like it was in a class just below the other two for robust design.  

Are you thinking about buying one these days?  I also would have to decide whether I'm back in the sawmill business or just going to buy rough and live edge from other local sources and process them.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Crusarius

Well, I built an MPCNC (mostly printed CNC). It was a fun learning experience since it is something I have never done. I have always been intimidated by electronics.

But after building that one I learned a lot and found all the shortcomings of it. So now I am planning on building a much larger version. Probably shoot for 30"x144" The big thing is I have no storage space for one so it needs to be easy breakdown and store.

So I have been going through the FF archives looking for any info that may help me. My initial goal was to flatten slabs. Of course the dreaded feature creep always gets the best of me. So it will have interchangeable heads, plasma cutter router, laser cutter/engraver.... You know, all the goods :)

I was mostly curious how it worked for slab flattening. Since I do not have a planer or thickness sander and both are quite expensive for what I would want.

I did have a pretty crazy idea using a planer and my sawmill though. remove the bottom half of the planer and mount it to the carriage. Give me the full length of the mill bed and be able to run multiple passes for width as well. But I would have to start with a nice planer and hack it up and need to get electric to my mill.

btulloh

Crusarius, I need to talk to you about that MPCNC build.  Interesting.  I don't want to hijack this  thread though, and it probably needs to wait til later, but there's a couple things I'd like to find out.

Seems like a larger version built to run on the saw rails would work for flattening slabs.  Same electronics and firmware, but larger steppers, and heavy enough to use a 3hp router.
HM126

Crusarius

Btulloh, exactly :) 

Biggest downfall of that setup is the conduit. but that can be remedied. and the nema 17 steppers are inadequate at best.

Thank You Sponsors!